- reach level 50, completing all your class and job quests
- complete the story (through praetorium)
- unlock Amdapor Keep
NOTE: whichever class you start this quest as, you must complete every step on the way as that class.
- Speak to Nedrick Ironheart in Vesper Bay
- Speak to Rowena in Revenant's Toll
- Speak to Gerolt in Hyrstmill
Now the quest really begins.
1) Locate a broken weapon as stated by Gerolt. This will involve finding the item within a beastman lair, as specified below, for your class.
Black Mage: U'Ghamaro Mines
Scholar: Sapsa Spawning Grounds
Warrior: U'Ghamaro Mines
White Mage: U'Ghamaro Mines
2) Obtain the "pre-relic" weapon (NQ) and meld 2 materia. It doesn't matter how you obtain the weapon. You can make/meld things on your own or buy one that's already made on the market.
Bard: Longarm's Composite Bow (Materia: 2 Heavens Eye III)
Black Mage: Sanguine Scepter (Materia: 2 Savage Might III)
Dragoon: Champion's Lance (Materia: 2 Savage Aim III)
Monk: Wilding Cesti (Materia: 2 Savage Aim III)
Paladin: Aeolian Scimitar (Materia: 2 Battledance III)
Scholar: Erudite's Picatrix Of Healing (Materia: 2 Quicktongue III)
Summoner: Erudite's Picatrix Of Casting (Materia: 2 Savage Might III)
Warrior: Barbarian's Bardiche (Materia: 2 Battledance III)
White Mage: Madman's Whispering Rod (Materia: 2 Quicktongue III)
3) Defeat the Dhorme Chimera to obtain Alumina Salts. You will need a party of 8. If this is your first relic, you will have to travel to the northeast corner of Coerthas to unlock this quest, and activate it in duty finder.
Party Setup: 2 tanks (1 being PLD), 2 healers, 4 dps
recommended gear: your basic AF set and the rest near lv 50 for a min, or course higher is better
When the fight begins, the main tank should draw Chimera out of the cave and into the more open area. The off tank, a PLD, will be a "stunbot" ... they will alternate stun and silence on Chimera whenever it's charging up dragons voice and rams voice. Otherwise just dodge the aoe attacks when you get targeted (or melee, watch for them directly in front of and behind him too) and if a blue energy ball is coming your way, run away from the party dragging it with you, until it explodes.
Both voices have crippling effects on the party, and can lead to wipes. If a PLD is not up to taking on this task themselves, they could alternate silences with a BRD.
4) Clear Amdapor Keep to obtain the Amdapor Glyph. You will need a party of 4. This is a standard dungeon that you start via DF.
Party setup: 1 tank, 1 healer, 2 dps
recommended gear: There is no indication this dungeon will get a item level requirement like the new lv 50 dungeons will, but lets just go with the same number: average item level 48.
Boss 1: It seems so simple at first, but half way through killing what you see, the real boss gets summoned. He randomly targets party members with aoe, and also randomly targets with an attack called canker, which inflicts heavy for 30 seconds. It's good if the healer dispels this effect. His void thunder attack can be avoided but it doesn't hurt if somebody silences him in the process. When a small golem spawns, the dps should kill it. About half way through a large golem will spawn. By the this point the party should move to one of the lanterns on the perimeter of the room. This way the big aoe can be avoided while still managing the boss, and small adds if need be.
Boss 2: The wall. Since patch 2.2 it's faceroll easy. It will randomly attack all party members, then does 2 line aoe attacks that should be avoided. The first one goes down the center of the floor, followed by down the 2 edges. If hit, you take notable damage, and worse yet have slow applied to you. This pattern is repeated. After the 2nd occurrence, get in the center and face him when he does repel. If you are not centered when repel hits, you get eliminated from the battle. After repel, the line aoe pattern gets repeated. After the 2nd repel, the back half of the floor turns into a poison pool. After each repel the wall keeps moving forward.
Boss 3: This guy is rather easy overall. I forget the compass point but relative to entry, the tank should keep him in the back right corner of the room. Melees need to watch for his up-close attacks, and don't camp out behind him. When a player gets behind him he does a cone aoe that covers about 1/3 of the room. So, melee and ranged alike stay to his side. When he does imminent catastrophe, it means an aoe attack is coming, based from the center of the room. hide behind a statue relative to the center of the room to avoid it. After each imminent catastrophe, a statue will come to life and come attack the party. These should be eliminated. Fortunately, the statue which you likely use to defend against imminent catastrophe won't come alive until after the 4th or 5th one, which should be more than enough time to kill him.
5) Obtain "Interview with a Padjal"
6) Defeat 24 beastmen (must equip and use the unfinished relic weapon). This involves returning to the beastman lair (based on your class) and defeating 3 sets of 8 beastmen, as stated below.
Bard: Natalan - (8) Bloodwings, (8) Fogcallers, and (8) Windtalons
Black Mage: U'Ghamaro Mines - (8) Quarrymen, (8) Bedesmen, and (8) Preists
Dragoon: Natalan - (8) Bloodwings, (8) Fogcallers, and (8) Swiftbeaks
Monk: Zaha'rak - (8) Lancers, (8) Pugilists, and (8) Archers
Paladin: Zaha'rak - (8) Lancers, (8) Pugilists, and (8) Thaumaturges
Scholar: Sapsa - (8) Shelfspine, (8) Shelfclaw, and (8) Shelftooth
Summoner: Sylphlands - (8) Sighs, (8) Screeches, and (8) Snarls
Warrior: U'Ghamaro Mines - (8) Quarrymen, (8) Bedesmen, and (8) Roundsmen
White Mage: U'Ghamaro Mines - (8) Quarrymen, (8) Bedesmen, and (8) Preists
7) Defeat the Hydra in Halatali. You will need a party of 8. If this is your first relic, travel to the entrance of Halatali (eastern thanalan) to unlock this quest and activate it via duty finder. Also, whomever has the quest active must have the unfinished relic weapon equipped or you will not get credit for the kill!!
party setup: 2 tanks, 2 healers, 4 dps (no particular classes recommended, any mix will work)
recommended gear: same as chimera/AK
An important aspect of this fight: the 2 tanks must stick together at all times! There is an attack which must hit both tanks, so the damage gets divided between the 2 and nobody dies. Otherwise melees should stay beside but favor toward his back side (there's a 180 degree frontal aoe attack or 2), and all ranged should stay along the sides of the room. This includes SMN/SCH pets. The center of the room needs to be left open. When a wyvern spawns, it should be taken down quickly as it'll buff hydra. Everybody will need to watch for circular aoe attacks and dodge. When there are a bunch that hinder players from attacking, the tanks should move hydra to another spot along the perimeter. When hydra runs to the center of the room, he will charge up fear itself. The only way to avoid this is to do a group hug under its belly. Quickly get back to the sides after this. You don't want to have aoes filling the middle of the room when he goes to do his next fear itself...
8) Defeat Ifrit (hard mode) to obtain the White-Hot Ember. You will need a party of 8. If you haven't unlocked this yet, proceed to the Waking Sands to do the quest to unlock (this will not appear in your journal).
9) Defeat Garuda (hard mode) to obtain the Howling Gale. You will need a party of 8. If you haven't unlocked this yet, after defeating Ifrit, proceed to the Waking Sands to do the quest to unlock (this will not appear in your journal).
10) Defeat Titan (hard mode) to obtain the Hyperfused Ore. You will need a party of 8. If you haven't unlocked this yet, after defeating Garuda, proceed to the Waking Sands to do the quest to unlock (this will not appear in your journal).
11) Purchase Radz-At-Han Quenching Oil at Revenent's Toll. This will cost tomestones. Successful runs of any level 50 content will earn you varying amounts of stones, and bonus stones can be earned with daily roulettes.
Congratulations, after all this mess you have your Relic Weapon!!
Upgrade to Zenith (formerly called Relic +1)
1) Purchase 3 Thavnarian Mist at Revenant's Toll. These will cost tomestones. Successful runs of any level 50 content will earn you varying amounts of stones, and bonus stones can be earned with daily roulettes.
2) Upgrade your weapon in the area near Gerolt in Hyrstmill. After purchasing 3 mists, proceed to what looks like a blacksmith's work area by Gerolt. Congratulations, you have your Relic Weapon Zenith!!