General Dungeon Hints

Stuck on a quest? Lost your Chocobo? Problems Connecting? Server errors? Ask your questions here, answer any questions that you can. Help each other out.
General Dungeon Hints
September 11th, 2013, 9:57 am

I've been reading through some of the posts about dungeons and there are several themes that seem to keep coming up. I think that with all the experience we have already in the free Company of these higher levels and dungeons - many of you are nearing or at level 50 already too - we could build a general guide to dungeons. Kind of the basic do's and don'ts, for lower level and new players to use. I'm thinking in terms of general guidelines about your level when you run each dungeon, what kind of gear is the minimum, and what is optimal, general stuff that applies across the board, and is not specific to dungeons.

I'll start off with a few;

• Ideally your gear should be at or beyond the dungeon level, and be HQ, dungeon drops or better.
  • Weapon, shield and primary armor should at least be at the dungeon level, or preferably exceed it
  • Leveling 2-3 levels beyond the dungeon is helpful to all classes
  • The dungeon difficulty increases drastically beyond Hauke Manor, be prepared for that
  • Be patient and understanding with each other when wipes occur
Escape reality, live the fantasy! - Louisoix Leveilleur
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

FFXIV Avatar: Kosmos Meishou
FFXIV Class/Race: Miqo'te Gladiator/Conjurer
FFXIV Free Company: Nekomimis FTW!
FFXIV Linkshell: Nekomimis FTW!
WKC Avatar: KOSMOS

Re: General Dungeon Hints
September 11th, 2013, 10:27 am

In general, the tank should be the party leader. If the tank is new to the dungeon, it's best somebody familiar with the dungeon to share the basic strategy of the given dungeon (they do vary by dungeon). The main thing the tank needs to know is the order of threat for the critters you'll encounter. When coming up to a battle with more than 1 enemy, the tank should mark each enemy. The typical enemy group is 3, so the tank should mark #1 and #2, then go draw the attention. In turn, the damage dealers should kill in the specified order.

Especially in brayflox and beyond, never rush into a battle. There could be a patrolling enemy that needs to walk through and be killed first to avoid an ugly situation. This will only be known from experience so don't be shocked if a wipe occurs.

Damage dealers, or the healer, should not run away if they draw the aggro. It's easier for the tank to reclaim a stationary target. Unlike the outer world, enemies will never stop chasing you in a dungeon.
Haggar
Neko Steward
Neko Steward

FFXIV Avatar: Haggar Drinksalott
WKC Avatar: Haggar/Bertha

September 11th, 2013, 12:43 pm

Indeed, and here are some more words of wisdom...

Gladiators/Paladins should note that Riot Blade generates less hate than either Savage Blade or Rage of Halone. Even though the attack has higher potency than say Savage Blade, it generates a LOT less aggro, and should only be used to when you need to regain some MP.

Keep adds off the healer.

Use sleep on adds to buy time.

Gladiator/Paladin should make use their healing buff Convalescence to increase the effectiveness of the heals.

Gladiator/Paladin should use rampart to increase their DEF and mitigate the damage they are taking.
Paladins have additional skills in these two areas and should use them as appropriate.

All players should pay attention to AoE markers and try to avoid such attacks.

Tanks should NOT kite targets, unless they are specifically doing so to pull the enemy in a given direction tanks should generally stay in one place - except to avoid an AoE. Kiting causes the enemy to change the direction it is facing, DPS classes can maximize their damage by performing back attacks, they can't do that if the tank keeps turning the target. Kiting does not help you avoid normal attacks at melee range.

Ranged attack means you don't need to be in melee range, so please stay back.

When possible (timing is problematic with GCD on the skill) Gladiators should use Shield bash to interrupt AoE attacks.

Unless the target has a rear facing AoE attack, DPS and healer should be the opposite side of the target from the tank so cone shaped AoEs go away from them.

Healers should not use Medica unless absolutely necessary, it generates huge amounts of aggro for the healer, and affects all targets causing the tank to have difficulty holding the targets attention.

Healing in general generates a lot of aggro, 'over-healing' generates even more - for the healer.

Don't forget to use the Limit Break - it's there to be used when needed...

There is no reason to have your camera parked on your shoulder during battle, it only reduces your field of vision, back the camera off so you can see more of the field, and you will have a chance of spotting adds when the arrive.
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

September 11th, 2013, 1:06 pm

If you are running with a WAR/MDR as tank, If you're going to sleep enemies, let the tank establish enmity first, if you don't when they wake up they're coming for the person who put them to sleep.
psn: Ack-Tar
Colette
WKC Friend
WKC Friend

FFXIV Avatar: Jamie Ciel
FFXIV Free Company: SWEET
WKC Avatar: Jamie/Colette

October 12th, 2013, 2:39 pm

iv been running dungeons alot. been the same levels as dungeons with haukke gear in brayflox for example. passed it no problem. what matters is that you do the appropriate actions as what your class asks for. ill agree with haggar, let the tank have the leadership role, or if anything let them make the first move. dont rush past them.

if you feel under geared in brayflox, spend some seals on free company armor, those last a few levels and its not hard to get seals.

one thing also is tryto engage the minimum amount of enemies per encounter. with that in mind, watch your surroundings that you dont attract more enemies. seen this alot with randoms, they would run around to get better position.... theyre usually mages though... and then end up in the way of a patroling enemy.

also, if youre a tank, use the markers. doesnt matter if you mark them one at a time or all at once. just give those direction. directing using chat box isnt as visible. i only have one marker on my bar because i dont have much room. marking one at a time works for me at least.

if youre new to a dungeon, dont go forward before everyone else. i see this usually with randoms. they say theyre new but rushes ahead.
John
N4Life
N4Life

October 12th, 2013, 4:59 pm

One or two markers at most I think works well, a lot of people have commented that with more than one mark, it becomes difficult to see which is which when the mobs bunch around the tank. So keeping the number of markers limited helps, but if you are using 1 or 2 markers only, you should also update them as the fight goes on, so as the targeted mob is about to go down, re-target and mark the next one. I did this with Randoms in Braflox and it helped greatly.
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

October 13th, 2013, 6:26 am

Early on, I just used the Sign "1" to indicate what I needed killed first. Soon, I added "2", since just 1 wasn't good enough anymore.

With the quests going on now, I often need to mark enemies up to number 4, and often I also need the "Enemy to Ignore" Sign as well.

Since that ran me out of space fast otherwise, nowadays I don't hotbar the individual signs, I hotbar the "Signs" subsection, so pressing the button lets me choose the appropriate sign.

Works wonders, just gotta be quick on them fingers.
Lem
WKC Friend
WKC Friend

WKC Avatar: Lem/Meena

October 17th, 2013, 7:34 am

I have been a couple dungeon runs where somebody (can't say for sure who but would assume a tank) would put up symbols instead of numbers. Really, how does that help anything? Numbering works the best, and really just set up a count before drawing enemies. With 3 enemies say, put a 1 and 2 marker. We have to assume people can count. There shouldn't be any need to change markers mid battle.

In the 8 person dungeons I almost never see any marking. With 4 dps on the field it doesn't seem to matter as much. The do not attack marker is a helpful one too, especially if people don't realize you can do a battle without killing said critter.

I'm too lazy to check if this one has been stated, but lesson learned while dps'ing ... At the start of a fight, let the tank get 2-3 attacks in before you start attacking. This significantly reduces the chances of stealing an enemy from the tank. I would assume similar applies to healers, let the tank take a couple hits before healing?
Haggar
Neko Steward
Neko Steward

FFXIV Avatar: Haggar Drinksalott
WKC Avatar: Haggar/Bertha

October 17th, 2013, 8:55 am

Some symbols are also useful. Lem often uses the symbol that mean "do not" as in do not attack this enemy. In the case of the off tank, tanking a secondary add boss away from the group so the group can finish off the main boss. This a necessary in 3 of the CM fights.
Also I've seen someone mark an enemy wanting them bound or put to sleep. What's important is that the tank, or whoever is doing the marking to communicate to the team what it's for.

One of my new pet peeves is sound cues. I love when the tank will alert people to something with the sound cues. Such as the countdown in CM for firing the cannons, HM Ifrit gather at his butt thing, Anataboga's (Final Boss AK) imminent catastrophe, and Hydra's Fear Itself.

But....I despise healer that use the sound cue to alert everyone that they are raising someone. This is especially annoying in the above mentioned fights when the sound cue is the same as the one directing the team to take action. If someone could tell me the reason the healers need this sound cue I would greatly appreciate it cause I'm at a loss for why this is being done.

As to the healers letting the tanks get in 2 or 3 hits, also let it be known that casting regen before a battle will give full aggro to the healer when the battle begins. So regen is a bad idea to have as you start a battle. You can cancel regen on yourself before the battles as well, in fact you can cancel most buffs
psn: Ack-Tar
Colette
WKC Friend
WKC Friend

FFXIV Avatar: Jamie Ciel
FFXIV Free Company: SWEET
WKC Avatar: Jamie/Colette

October 17th, 2013, 10:36 am

I've been increasing my use of signs as well, for low dungeons I use a macro to set targets 1 and 2, though this has drawbacks since it quickly becomes clear that you have little control over which target the thing will pick.

I have a hotbar with signs on it, but I am still getting used to setting them up, and until I am confident in it, I will stick to marking targets one or two at a time.

I don't see the point of audible alerts upon raise unless it is for healers in a pickup group needing to alert the raised player that someone actually did raise, but in a regular group i can see no reason for it to be there, it would be a distraction - especially if the tank is using audible alerts to warn the group of impending doom of some kind.

there is a lot said about target marking and keyboard/mouse vs controller, the targeting options for controller users are different, but i find that they can still be quick when the player is familiar with their controls.
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

Return to FFXIV Game and/or Technical Help