BrayFlox - Party guide

Stuck on a quest? Lost your Chocobo? Problems Connecting? Server errors? Ask your questions here, answer any questions that you can. Help each other out.
BrayFlox - Party guide
September 10th, 2013, 12:30 pm

Having tried (and died) to run Brayflox over the weekend I think it would be good to collect everyone's lessons learned on this dungeon as it appears that it is with Brayflox that the difficulty spikes. It's not a ramping-up in difficulty, it seems to truly be a spike.

As a personal aside I have to say one thing, there is a mechanic in RPGs, especially MMORPGs that I take great issue with. it is the catch 22 that has a dungeon drop the gear that is necessary to complete it. Dungeons should drop the gear needed to handle the NEXT dungeon, otherwise you are stuck in the catch 22 of having the levels required, but being under-geared for the dungeon, and being unable to acquire the needed gear without completing the dungeon, which you can't do without the gear...

There is a very, very clear pattern in the more difficult dungeons that you can see starting even with the easy dungeons such as Sastasha. If you run those early dungeons with a character that has just barely reached the minimum level needed, and with NQ gear that is from the 2-3 levels prior to that needed for the dungeon (which is typical if you are doing dungeons as soon as they enable) you'll see it. The pattern is this. The tank will be unable to pull and hold aggro because their weapon is too weak. The tank will take too much damage meaning that the Healer will be pushed to heal just the tank. the tank cannot hold on to the adds, and the healer's constant healing will draw aggro. The DPS will be pushed hard to cope because the tank cannot hold aggro and the healer is under constant threat. Eventually, either the tank will die because the healer was trying to keep themself alive as well, or the healer will fall because they were focusing on keeping the tank up, but the adds overwhelmed the DPS and tank and kill the healer. If the tank falls, the healer will be next. If the healer falls the tank will be next, leaving the DPS at the mercy of the remaining enemy.

On the early dungeons, the impact of gear is far less pronounced than in the later dungeons. but by the time you hit Hauke Manor, and especially Brayflox, under-geared players become a liability, especially in the tank role. Perhaps I am biased being a tank, but given the key role the tank plays, I would have to say that no matter how good or bad the tank is, a poorly equipped tank in a difficult dungeon may as well be the worst one in the game, because they will fall, no matter what they do.

Anyway. My sage words for Brayflox thus far are these;

No party should go in with a tank who has just reached level 32-33 and has gear from the previous 5 levels, they will be horribly under-geared.
If you did not run the living daylights out of Hauke Manor to get gear, talk nicely to the armorers, leather workers, goldsmiths, and weavers about getting level appropriate HQ gear, you're going to need it.
Ideally everyone ought to be 3-4 levels over the requirement with appropriate gear to that level, preferably HQ, or green/pink drops or GC gear. If you can get HQ with materia, even better.
Healers and DPS being higher level may not be quite so important as the tank role, but given that DPS damage scales with level and healing ability scales with level, having more DPS damage and more healing per turn can hardly be a bad thing.
Other than that I have to ask those who have completed this annoying dungeon for their words, since I didn't get much past the first mini-boss without realizing that there was no way I could continue with the level and gear I had. My failure was annoying the rest of the party too, so I'll not be running Brayflox until I am certain that I am sufficiently leveled and equipped.
Escape reality, live the fantasy! - Louisoix Leveilleur
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

FFXIV Avatar: Kosmos Meishou
FFXIV Class/Race: Miqo'te Gladiator/Conjurer
FFXIV Free Company: Nekomimis FTW!
FFXIV Linkshell: Nekomimis FTW!
WKC Avatar: KOSMOS

Re: BrayFlox - Party guide
September 11th, 2013, 6:20 am

This is a hard dungeon for your healers, very easy to run out of mana. I agree with you Kos, but will add, everyone needs to be well geared. If the damage dealers can't take things out fast it makes it harder on every one. Even the best tank with the best gear can't survive forever. Things have to be killed fast.

Things I've noticed, first boss fight. Kill the adds fast.

Second boss fight. The main drake can be put to sleep when the second one appears. Kill the second as soon as he appears.

Third boss fight. He will bubble people. Break the bubbles as fast as you can. They do not seem to damage you but you can't do much in a bubble.

Final boss. Tank should tank him into the edges. Everyone should stay at the edges if possible. This way all the poison pools he creates will be on the edges and if the fight takes too long the tank can move him to the center if need be. You see, if he stands in his poison pools he heals. So the tank has to keep him away from the pools. If you do get poisoned and the healer tries to heal it off each time they will run out of mana. Wait until there are 2 stacks of poison before esuna-ing them away. In the even you have a Scholar as your healer, suck it up, they don't have esuna. Antidotes will not cure this poison. I've had some horrible runs of this and some wonderful ones. I did one yesterday with a Scholar as a healer and we had no problems surviving the poison in the final boss.
psn: Ack-Tar
Colette
WKC Friend
WKC Friend

FFXIV Avatar: Jamie Ciel
FFXIV Free Company: SWEET
WKC Avatar: Jamie/Colette

Re: BrayFlox - Party guide
September 11th, 2013, 9:25 am

Ugh, the poison at the end sounds nasty, I'm thinking that if the tank can either execute a cure or two of their own, or pop a hi-pot (or better) it would help out the pressure on the healer. Would a Hi-Ether be a decent idea in the 1st and last fights (since they seem to both have the potential to drain a healer's MP completely)?
Escape reality, live the fantasy! - Louisoix Leveilleur
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

FFXIV Avatar: Kosmos Meishou
FFXIV Class/Race: Miqo'te Gladiator/Conjurer
FFXIV Free Company: Nekomimis FTW!
FFXIV Linkshell: Nekomimis FTW!
WKC Avatar: KOSMOS

Return to FFXIV Game and/or Technical Help