Tips for Beginners

Stuck on a quest? Lost your Chocobo? Problems Connecting? Server errors? Ask your questions here, answer any questions that you can. Help each other out.
Re: Tips for Beginners
July 31st, 2013, 1:04 pm

Sapphire wrote:
KOSMOS wrote:
Sapphire wrote:speaking of Tanks, if i end up picking a Tank class, don't expect me to do Tanking, WKC and DC Universe have taught me that i can't Tank to save my own butt, lol

Sapphire, you need to consider what you post before you post it. The above message really does not leave me feeling that you would be an asset to my team in a quest when you are basically saying that if you end up picking a particular class, no one should expect you to play it. I know you are talking about tanks, but if you do pick a tank class and do not play that role properly, you will not find yourself in many questing parties as it will not take long for people to tire of the attitude "don't expect me to do Tanking". If you play tank, you tank, if you play healer you heal, if you play magical DD you deal damage using magic, if you play melee DD you deal damage with physical attacks, and ranged melee deal damage from range. Each class has special abilities to perform status attacks, each has it's role. If you chose a class but don't actually play it, no one will want to have you in their group.

Sorry... i'll just hush... i guess im just nervous alright? back when i first joined and we quested together, i felt bad because i was the most underpowered one there. made it worse because, to me, it felt like you were wasting time and resources just trying to keep my sorry hide alive. i don't want a repeat. i don't want to be the one who absolutely has to rely on others just so she doesn't get beaten by a monster at every turn. admittedly, i know im not that great of a fighter, i do my best, but i never seem to cut it. even when i hit Lv80 GR26 back in WKC, i still was envious of everyone here. most importantly, i don't want to fail you guys, every time we failed something before and i was in the group, it felt like it was my fault.

Everybody has to start somewhere. As long as you are trying to improve I'm sure everyone will be happy to help you out. The people who aren't liked are those who are terrible and refuse to try to improve. I know where you're coming from, I have the same feelings now as I'm just starting to run dungeons and fractals (harder versions of dungeons) in Guild Wars 2. It's frustrating but as long as you tell people that you're new they generally will be fine with taking some time to explain things (and patient when I die repeatedly x.x).
"Each friend represents a world in us, a world not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born."
Rhapsody
N4Life
N4Life

FFXIV Avatar: Gemma Shahrizai
FFXIV Class/Race: THM/Hyur
FFXIV Free Company: Last Order (Test)
FFXIV Linkshell: Nekomimis FTW

July 31st, 2013, 2:57 pm

Rhapsody wrote:
Sapphire wrote:
KOSMOS wrote:*snip*... If you play tank, you tank, if you play healer you heal, if you play magical DD you deal damage using magic, if you play melee DD you deal damage with physical attacks, and ranged melee deal damage from range. Each class has special abilities to perform status attacks, each has it's role. If you chose a class but don't actually play it, no one will want to have you in their group.

Sorry... i'll just hush... i guess im just nervous alright? back when i first joined and we quested together, i felt bad because i was the most underpowered one there. made it worse because, to me, it felt like you were wasting time and resources just trying to keep my sorry hide alive. *snip*

Everybody has to start somewhere. As long as you are trying to improve I'm sure everyone will be happy to help you out. The people who aren't liked are those who are terrible and refuse to try to improve. I know where you're coming from, I have the same feelings now as I'm just starting to run dungeons and fractals (harder versions of dungeons) in Guild Wars 2. It's frustrating but as long as you tell people that you're new they generally will be fine with taking some time to explain things (and patient when I die repeatedly x.x).

Well, having restarted WKC more than a few times I completely understand about feeling underpowered compared to the players on a quest. On the other hand, FFXIV uses level sync to overcome that problem. In WKC if you went on a high level quest with a high level group, the difference between a low level character and a GR26-30 was really difficult to cope with. But in FFXIV, even if I am a level 50 Paladin, if I run Sastasha with you, I will be level sync'd back to level 15 (IIRC) Gladiator, all my gear will be scaled back to something appropriate to the level as well, and I won't have any skills beyond the level of the dungeon. So it's almost a level playing field for everyone in FFXIV because of teh way the game tries to help. This is good because it means no one can be lazy and just drag a party through a dungeon, everyone has to work at it - high level players included.

What I was getting at in my message is that if anyone starts out by telling everyone around them that although they are class X, don't expect them to do what class X does, it won't go well. If you're playing a healer, you have to heal, and so on, like I said. The challenge is that your class and level need not define your character. You can be a Gladiator and tank and still have a back story/character who considers them self a great warrior able to deal monstrous damage. The key is separating actual game play/performance from the character, backstory and role play that you do.

I agree with Rhapsody,
"As long as you are trying to improve I'm sure everyone will be happy to help you out. The people who aren't liked are those who are terrible and refuse to try to improve."

That's the main thing in this or any team based online game. I'm sorry if I seem in your face, I replied as I did to be absolutely crystal clear and help you understand how best to approach the game and team work within it. None of us are perfect players, nor will we ever be. But we all learn, and because of the way the level sync forces everyone to play their class role in a battle, there will be more than ample opportunity to learn. Those who refuse to try to improve, as Rhapsody put it, will have none to blame but them self.
Escape reality, live the fantasy! - Louisoix Leveilleur
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

FFXIV Avatar: Kosmos Meishou
FFXIV Class/Race: Miqo'te Gladiator/Conjurer
FFXIV Free Company: Nekomimis FTW!
FFXIV Linkshell: Nekomimis FTW!
WKC Avatar: KOSMOS

July 31st, 2013, 3:43 pm

Having never played any kind of FF before, in the earlier beta I was scared to death. I felt completely inferior to EVERYBODY around me. WKC was the only other online RPG type game I had ever played and quite frankly I felt completely inferior to everyone there, too. I always thought that I was chosen on teams because either Kos told them to do so or because there was no other choice, that if there HAD been another choice I would have been the one left behind. (Hina <---always chosen last on school teams)

I got a later start in FF beta because I had no clue what the crap I was doing and I was in a city alone at first. Everyone else seemed to have started in another city that first weekend. I didn't understand at that point that you needed to play through the story quests solo. SO I spent *2* weekends trying to go through the woods (not the roads which would have been easy) to get to Gridania and meet up with Kos and some others, When I couldn't get there, I even switched classes. I missed so much time.

By the time I reached the point of the first dungeons, most everyone else had gotten the high levels and were in their own groups. I felt totally alone and inadequate. If someone did invite me, I felt like they were humoring me. But after playing with several people in our own groups and randoms, I was told that I was pretty good in my class. I felt like I could hold my own. So maybe I wasn't so bad after all. I don't know.

I still got really nervous before any group battle. I know I will again and will concentrate extra hard to be sure to play well for everyone in the party. I probably take it more seriously than others. I am too much of a perfectionist - a perfectionist with little self-confidence. lol bad combination.

Anyway, I probably shared more than I meant to, but I just wanted to say that other have felt the same way. It is what you do with it that matters. Do you take an easy road (find ways to mod or cheat - though I don't think that will be possible in FF)? Do you rely on others to carry you, slinking into the background (again, not possible in FF due to level sync and strict classes)? Do you accept responsibility for your role and work hard as a team player despite how you might feel at that time, just try to truly do your best? Do you focus on what you can do for others instead of seeking personal glory?

What I have found in this game is that is the best runs and the best teams are completely based on self-sacrifice. The tank works to keep hate from everyone else, taking all the hits. The DDs follow the lead of the tank of hit what he/she is hitting or what the tank directs. If they go off on their own and take on a new mob, they will die. They only need to break off if they see something going for the healer. The healer thinks only of keeping others alive, beginning with the tank because they should be taking the hate for everyone. If all in the team is considering the others, it works. If they seeks their own needs and glory, you won't get past the first room. Same with the loot. If everyone is selfish, it won't last. Share and only take what you should and BE careful (lesson I learned) to look at the stats and don't click too fast. But everyone should also be understanding. No one is going to be perfect.

Okay..enough spilling my guts for now. :sad:

ℒℴѵℯ, Hina ~ Neko Hime-sama, NekomimisFTW ˚₊✩‧₊(⌯͒o̶̶̷̤ ꀾ o̴̶̷̤⌯͒)* ✩‧₊˚

“Everyone smiles, when they are with you. Please...go and help people in my place. Share your happiness with them." ~ Yui, SAO
Hinagiku
Grand Neko
Grand Neko

FFXIV Avatar: Hinagiku Meishou
FFXIV Class/Race: Miqo'te Healer & Weaver
FFXIV Free Company: NekomimisFTW
FFXIV Linkshell: NekomimisFTW
WKC Avatar: Hinagiku

Previous

Return to FFXIV Game and/or Technical Help