Tips for Beginners

Stuck on a quest? Lost your Chocobo? Problems Connecting? Server errors? Ask your questions here, answer any questions that you can. Help each other out.
Re: Tips for Beginners
July 30th, 2013, 5:02 pm

Sapphire wrote:oh really? there's people who kick for no reason there too? freakin fabulous -_-

I don't think Rhapsody said people get kicked from random groups for no reason. I think the point was that players who are not fulfilling their role properly are prone to be kicked.
Escape reality, live the fantasy! - Louisoix Leveilleur
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

FFXIV Avatar: Kosmos Meishou
FFXIV Class/Race: Miqo'te Gladiator/Conjurer
FFXIV Free Company: Nekomimis FTW!
FFXIV Linkshell: Nekomimis FTW!
WKC Avatar: KOSMOS

July 30th, 2013, 7:45 pm

yeah, but what if they're still learning the role or whatever? not really grounds for kicking in my book. if they're intentionally not doing it right, kick em.
Iron Courage. need I say more?
Sapphire
Neko
Neko

FFXIV Avatar: Sapphire Harushii
FFXIV Class/Race: Miqo'te Jack-of-all-trades in training
FFXIV Free Company: NekomimisFTW!
WKC Avatar: Sapphire

July 30th, 2013, 8:11 pm

Don't worry about them not knowing their roles, some dungeons are placed early in the story to introduce that, you won't be thrown in a lv30 dungeon for your first time in a party. These dungeons are easy on purpose, to allow players to do mistakes and learn how to play their role, they're made for that.

About hybrid classes, you can't make complete hybrids anyway : you can't use all the skills on every class/job, only some can be used (for example, only a CNJ/WHM can cast esuna) and you have a fixed number of extra skills you can take in other classes, I think it's 6 or 7 at max level.

To be kicked from a party, you'd need to be seriously badly geared and unable to play. I got a tank unable to survive the first boss fight in a dungeon once, after 4 attempts we stopped trying and left the quest. If you're that kind of player, you can be sure you'll be remembered and asked to not join the next quests.
Alkor
Banned
Banned

FFXIV Avatar: Alicia Searrs

July 30th, 2013, 9:19 pm

speaking of Tanks, if i end up picking a Tank class, don't expect me to do Tanking, WKC and DC Universe have taught me that i can't Tank to save my own butt, lol
Sapphire
Neko
Neko

July 30th, 2013, 11:10 pm

Then I highly suggest not choosing a tank class. It will be hard to play the game solo and no one will play with a tank who won't tank. :TBstuck:

ℒℴѵℯ, Hina ~ Neko Hime-sama, NekomimisFTW ˚₊✩‧₊(⌯͒o̶̶̷̤ ꀾ o̴̶̷̤⌯͒)* ✩‧₊˚

“Everyone smiles, when they are with you. Please...go and help people in my place. Share your happiness with them." ~ Yui, SAO
Hinagiku
Grand Neko
Grand Neko

FFXIV Avatar: Hinagiku Meishou
FFXIV Class/Race: Miqo'te Healer & Weaver
FFXIV Free Company: NekomimisFTW
FFXIV Linkshell: NekomimisFTW
WKC Avatar: Hinagiku

July 30th, 2013, 11:48 pm

ok, another idiot question. exactly what the heck is Lancer?
Sapphire
Neko
Neko

July 31st, 2013, 12:00 am

A person that uses a lance type of weapon - aka a spear. You can read about all the announced classes at the FFXIV main site and the FFXIV Lodestone - Google is your friend...
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

July 31st, 2013, 12:03 am

Perhaps a DPS class would be good for you if you don't wish to use a tank. Lancer is a pretty simple class to pick up on. Just need to learn the positioning moves and much later on, combos.

To add to the advice giving, there are moves that inflict Stun status. These are best saved for when you see an enemy charging an attack up. It will cancel the move out. I know Lancer and I believe Gladiator gets one as well as Pugilist much, much later on. Any others?

Regarding "combos": Look at your skill list and a skill might say it can combo from another skill. Use that other skill first and you will see a yellow dotted border appear around the next skill to use. Use that skill and it will be powered up.
Linelie
Mercenary
Mercenary

WKC Avatar: Linelie

July 31st, 2013, 12:05 am

Sapphire wrote:speaking of Tanks, if i end up picking a Tank class, don't expect me to do Tanking, WKC and DC Universe have taught me that i can't Tank to save my own butt, lol

Sapphire, you need to consider what you post before you post it. The above message really does not leave me feeling that you would be an asset to my team in a quest when you are basically saying that if you end up picking a particular class, no one should expect you to play it. I know you are talking about tanks, but if you do pick a tank class and do not play that role properly, you will not find yourself in many questing parties as it will not take long for people to tire of the attitude "don't expect me to do Tanking". If you play tank, you tank, if you play healer you heal, if you play magical DD you deal damage using magic, if you play melee DD you deal damage with physical attacks, and ranged melee deal damage from range. Each class has special abilities to perform status attacks, each has it's role. If you chose a class but don't actually play it, no one will want to have you in their group.
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

July 31st, 2013, 12:08 am

Linelie wrote:Perhaps a DPS class would be good for you if you don't wish to use a tank. Lancer is a pretty simple class to pick up on. Just need to learn the positioning moves and much later on, combos.

To add to the advice giving, there are moves that inflict Stun status. These are best saved for when you see an enemy charging an attack up. It will cancel the move out. I know Lancer and I believe Gladiator gets one as well as Pugilist much, much later on. Any others?

Regarding "combos": Look at your skill list and a skill might say it can combo from another skill. Use that other skill first and you will see a yellow dotted border appear around the next skill to use. Use that skill and it will be powered up.

Gladiator get's shield bash after level 20, I can't remember exactly which level, but you get shield bash that both interrupts attacks (including AoE) and stuns for a few seconds. By that time Flash is also doing better as well because it inflicts blindness for a time too.
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

July 31st, 2013, 12:11 am

Stun is what interrupts the attacks. When stun is applied, any action in progress (charge attacks) are stopped because you can't charge while stunned. The other shield bash later on applies a pseudo-silence, if you mean the one that works like a counter.
Paznos
Neko
Neko

July 31st, 2013, 12:12 am

ugh... can't decide still. i know everything of what will make me in FF14 except the Class. i want to have this all planned out so come time for it, all i have to do is make myself, go to the Class i want, and jump in. been waiting long enough to play with all of you, don't want to spend any more time on it than needed.
Sapphire
Neko
Neko

July 31st, 2013, 2:34 am

KOSMOS wrote:
Sapphire wrote:speaking of Tanks, if i end up picking a Tank class, don't expect me to do Tanking, WKC and DC Universe have taught me that i can't Tank to save my own butt, lol

Sapphire, you need to consider what you post before you post it. The above message really does not leave me feeling that you would be an asset to my team in a quest when you are basically saying that if you end up picking a particular class, no one should expect you to play it. I know you are talking about tanks, but if you do pick a tank class and do not play that role properly, you will not find yourself in many questing parties as it will not take long for people to tire of the attitude "don't expect me to do Tanking". If you play tank, you tank, if you play healer you heal, if you play magical DD you deal damage using magic, if you play melee DD you deal damage with physical attacks, and ranged melee deal damage from range. Each class has special abilities to perform status attacks, each has it's role. If you chose a class but don't actually play it, no one will want to have you in their group.

Sorry... i'll just hush... i guess im just nervous alright? back when i first joined and we quested together, i felt bad because i was the most underpowered one there. made it worse because, to me, it felt like you were wasting time and resources just trying to keep my sorry hide alive. i don't want a repeat. i don't want to be the one who absolutely has to rely on others just so she doesn't get beaten by a monster at every turn. admittedly, i know im not that great of a fighter, i do my best, but i never seem to cut it. even when i hit Lv80 GR26 back in WKC, i still was envious of everyone here. most importantly, i don't want to fail you guys, every time we failed something before and i was in the group, it felt like it was my fault.
Sapphire
Neko
Neko

July 31st, 2013, 11:11 am

Sapphire I recommend you go to official FF14 site http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/ and read up on the different classes and just go with what you like. Personally I'm totally into swords scythes and chainsaw weapons but seeing as there are no scythes or chainsaws I picked the sword class Gladiator. I don't really mind role that comes with it as long as I like my character, turns out GLD is a tank so i don't mind taking the hits for my team. Just pic your favorite class and learn the role. Also if u really don't like tanking you could always be a healer or damage dealer. Healer atm there is only 1 that's conjurer and all other classes except glad and mura are dmg dealers. If you looking for an easier class to play I'd recommend one of the physical DD such as lancer, archer or pugilist, but really just pick something you would enjoy I mean that's what games are for ;)
DarkZeru
Neko
Neko

FFXIV Avatar: Cheshire Cat
FFXIV Class/Race: PLD/Miqo'te
WKC Avatar: Zeru

July 31st, 2013, 12:42 pm

frankly, starting quests wont matter much since you can switch freely between jobs/classes. also, theres a level sync feature where higher level would be automatically be synced so that everyone would be the same level in quests. thats where the knowing the role of your class works. everyone will be in the same boat. theres none of that gr30 stats playing with a gr 14 quests. the higher level people will get deleveled and if we fail because someone isnt playing their role, then thats when some people will kick from parties. you have the chance to test out a class through solo missions and basically on enemies, theyre everywhere.
John
N4Life
N4Life

PreviousNext

Return to FFXIV Game and/or Technical Help