Tips for Beginners

Stuck on a quest? Lost your Chocobo? Problems Connecting? Server errors? Ask your questions here, answer any questions that you can. Help each other out.
Re: Tips for Beginners
July 28th, 2013, 3:23 am

Huh? :huh: ??? <scratches head>

ℒℴѵℯ, Hina ~ Neko Hime-sama, NekomimisFTW ˚₊✩‧₊(⌯͒o̶̶̷̤ ꀾ o̴̶̷̤⌯͒)* ✩‧₊˚

“Everyone smiles, when they are with you. Please...go and help people in my place. Share your happiness with them." ~ Yui, SAO
Hinagiku
Grand Neko
Grand Neko

FFXIV Avatar: Hinagiku Meishou
FFXIV Class/Race: Miqo'te Healer & Weaver
FFXIV Free Company: NekomimisFTW
FFXIV Linkshell: NekomimisFTW
WKC Avatar: Hinagiku

July 29th, 2013, 1:47 am

quick question, is there an offensive magic user in FF14 yet? one that uses spells like Blizzard, Flare, Ultima, etc?
Iron Courage. need I say more?
Sapphire
Neko
Neko

FFXIV Avatar: Sapphire Harushii
FFXIV Class/Race: Miqo'te Jack-of-all-trades in training
FFXIV Free Company: NekomimisFTW!
WKC Avatar: Sapphire

July 29th, 2013, 2:06 am

Yes, Thaumaturge uses fir and Ice and is an offensive spell caster.
Escape reality, live the fantasy! - Louisoix Leveilleur
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

FFXIV Avatar: Kosmos Meishou
FFXIV Class/Race: Miqo'te Gladiator/Conjurer
FFXIV Free Company: Nekomimis FTW!
FFXIV Linkshell: Nekomimis FTW!
WKC Avatar: KOSMOS

July 29th, 2013, 12:53 pm

i had a feeling Thaumaturge was that kind of class, wasn't sure though. i guess im just used to ze ''generic'' class names, Warrior, White Mage, Thief, Black Mage, etc.
Sapphire
Neko
Neko

July 29th, 2013, 1:17 pm

But we do have Black Mage and White Mage in the game, these are jobs. Thaumaturge and Conjurer are their respective classes.
psn: Ack-Tar
Colette
WKC Friend
WKC Friend

FFXIV Avatar: Jamie Ciel
FFXIV Free Company: SWEET
WKC Avatar: Jamie/Colette

July 29th, 2013, 2:46 pm

in that case, is there anything like Thief?
Sapphire
Neko
Neko

July 29th, 2013, 2:49 pm

No thief class or job has been announced yet. People are speculating that they will add thief sometime in the future (as well as other jobs), guess only time will tell.
psn: Ack-Tar
Colette
WKC Friend
WKC Friend

FFXIV Avatar: Jamie Ciel
FFXIV Free Company: SWEET
WKC Avatar: Jamie/Colette

July 29th, 2013, 5:09 pm

I was reading on the Beta forum today and it seemed like the current theory is that every class will have a path to two jobs eventually, and that Thief, or some other more stealthy class, may make an appearance in future.
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

July 29th, 2013, 5:38 pm

hmmm.... if everything goes right, ill be able to use the class i created in WKC, to really kick tail in FF14! hopefully it'll work.
Sapphire
Neko
Neko

July 29th, 2013, 11:57 pm

Sapphire,

There is one thing that you HAVE to understand. Classes and Jobs in FFXIV are very much more specialized compared to those in White Knight, it's not really possible to be a jack of all trades without sacrificing the advantages of specializing. There really won't be a class that can both DPS, use Magic and heal. There will be classes that can switch modes like Arcanist with it's pet, but they will not be as good as dedicated class characters. Each class and job will have it's specific advantages and capabilities and that is where the focus will be.

I'm not telling you this to annoy you, but you will have to rethink when you start working on your character, playing against your class will not go well for you.
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

July 30th, 2013, 1:36 am

KOSMOS wrote:Sapphire,

There is one thing that you HAVE to understand. Classes and Jobs in FFXIV are very much more specialized compared to those in White Knight, it's not really possible to be a jack of all trades without sacrificing the advantages of specializing. There really won't be a class that can both DPS, use Magic and heal. There will be classes that can switch modes like Arcanist with it's pet, but they will not be as good as dedicated class characters. Each class and job will have it's specific advantages and capabilities and that is where the focus will be.

I'm not telling you this to annoy you, but you will have to rethink when you start working on your character, playing against your class will not go well for you.

I haven't played it at all yet, but i understand that clearly. Can you blame me for trying to be creative?
Sapphire
Neko
Neko

July 30th, 2013, 1:51 am

I think that is what Kos (and everyone) is trying to say to those who haven't played this version yet. The fact that 'creative' combinations of classes and jobs is not going to be feasible.

It is too specialized to be creative in that way. We are going to have to find other ways to be creative. :TBstars:

ℒℴѵℯ, Hina ~ Neko Hime-sama, NekomimisFTW ˚₊✩‧₊(⌯͒o̶̶̷̤ ꀾ o̴̶̷̤⌯͒)* ✩‧₊˚

“Everyone smiles, when they are with you. Please...go and help people in my place. Share your happiness with them." ~ Yui, SAO
Hinagiku
Grand Neko
Grand Neko

FFXIV Avatar: Hinagiku Meishou
FFXIV Class/Race: Miqo'te Healer & Weaver
FFXIV Free Company: NekomimisFTW
FFXIV Linkshell: NekomimisFTW
WKC Avatar: Hinagiku

July 30th, 2013, 7:22 am

Just to chime in: with the Duty Finder, you might play with random groups frequently (or not, its up to you). These people are waiting for a certain party member, and they're going to expect you to perform your role. When you join a group, the game tells you your role. Remember you're playing with PC players too, who, IMO, aren't as tolerant as the people I met on WKC. You would probably get kicked from a group for trying things like the bow-mage shenanigans we saw in WKC.
"Each friend represents a world in us, a world not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born."
Rhapsody
N4Life
N4Life

FFXIV Avatar: Gemma Shahrizai
FFXIV Class/Race: THM/Hyur
FFXIV Free Company: Last Order (Test)
FFXIV Linkshell: Nekomimis FTW

July 30th, 2013, 11:14 am

Rhapsody wrote:Just to chime in: with the Duty Finder, you might play with random groups frequently (or not, its up to you). These people are waiting for a certain party member, and they're going to expect you to perform your role. When you join a group, the game tells you your role. Remember you're playing with PC players too, who, IMO, aren't as tolerant as the people I met on WKC. You would probably get kicked from a group for trying things like the bow-mage shenanigans we saw in WKC.

Completely 110% agree here. I think the lack of tolerance is a combination of people who are familiar with the stricter class purposes in FFXIV, people who are not sure and so want everyone to play their specific role, and the random nature of the groups requiring people to play their role since they don't know the other players.

In general though I think this is right, and the class system will not really facilitate things like bow-mages. I mean you could be archer and have up to 3 skills from THM (for example) but because of your attribute point allocation you will be extremely weak with those skills. I believe that there is also a flat penalty on those skills since they are borrowed from another class. So basically although you can use THM or CNJ skills on your ARC or GLA, you will be very inferior with that skill compared to a real THM or CNJ. The system is set up to preserve the purpose of the classes.

Just to add to the general discussion...I keep seeing topics on the beta forum comparing classes, and although there might be a valid comparison of things like MRD and GLA since both are tank classes, even they have their specific purposes. The general consensus (and there are even complaints about this) is that there is a pretty good balance of classes and no one class really has an advantage over another. Actually it's funny, people complain about that and then complain about a lack of diversity because they think everyone will have the same skills attributes and gear. As if that's never happened before in any other game....lol

However, since we can change where we focus our bonus attribute points, and also use the gear and materia system to shape our gear and therefore our build, we still have freedom within the class to make our build specific to ourselves. Not to mention that the vanity slots will allow appearance to differ from the gear equipped, and the effectiveness of a character is not defined by their class or build so much as it is the player's ability and strategy.

For example a lvl 30 Gladiator *could* try standing there and spam flash until their MP runs out and then pop a Hi-ether before spamming flash a time or two more, and then not know what to do - that would be a bad gladiator player. On the other hand they could be using their combos to build aggro on larger enemies, using flash to distract mobs and shield lob and shield bash against specific enemies to attract their attention. the main combo of Gladiator builds aggro specifically, and they have a specific skill (Savage Blade) that causes increased enmity as well as dealing damage. So by rotating different skills and using Flash appropriately a good Gladiator will not run out of MP and will not be flailing around aimlessly. That's an extreme example of how player skill can make any class look horrible, and in the situation of a 'bad' gladiator, the healer would be working overtime on everyone and probably find themselves under attack all the time too. Party wipe will follow....
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

July 30th, 2013, 1:32 pm

oh really? there's people who kick for no reason there too? freakin fabulous -_-
Sapphire
Neko
Neko

PreviousNext

Return to FFXIV Game and/or Technical Help