Tips for Beginners

Stuck on a quest? Lost your Chocobo? Problems Connecting? Server errors? Ask your questions here, answer any questions that you can. Help each other out.
Tips for Beginners
July 21st, 2013, 8:37 am

Useful stuff I found out while playing Phase 2 and 3, so some things might change for phase 4 or release.
The choice of your race have almost no impact on your stats at high level, so just take the one looking best in your opinion.

Choose your starter class depending on how you like to play :
[+] Classes
Tank (taking damage instead of your teammates) :
    Gladiator (GLD)
    Marauder (MRD)
Healer (keeping the teammates alive) :
    Conjurer (CNJ)
Damage dealer (Killing stuff but enable to take much damage or heal correctly) :
    Pugilist (PGL)
    Lancer (LNC)
    Thaumaturge (THM)
    Archer (ARC)
    The role of arcanist isn't know yet, but we think it's a damage dealer.

This choice will also decide in which of the three starter towns (Gridania, Limsa Lominsa or Ul'Dah) you'll begin your adventure.
You can unlock other classes at lv10 (and even learn all of them) but from 1 to 10 you'll be stuck with that one.
Each class levels up independently, so if you learn CNJ after reaching lv16 with LNC, you'll be lv1 when you play as CNJ and lv16 as LNC.

Starting town
[+]
The first thing you should do is do every quest inside your starting town while syncing with the Aetherytes (blue crystals) forming the town network. It should level you up to lv3 or 4 before even setting foot outside. You should have some quests about killing stuff just ouside of town at this point (one from your weapon guild), so go do that. After that you'll probably be close to lv5.
At lv5, you'll unlock the 2nd guild quest, doing it will reward you with the hunting log, a good item to level up quicker. Since you can't do anything in town anymore, time to get out.

Roaming and Hunting
[+]
Now that you're in Black shroud (Gridania), Thanalan (Ul'Dah) or La Noscea (Limsa Lominsa), it's time to search for other quests and work on your hunting log. Quests + Hunting log is the easiest way to level up at the beginning, killing random monsters doesn't reward that much XP. FATE will randomly appear at any location on the world map, they're also a good source of XP and gils.

Don't neglect the importance of your hunting log, it's giving you XP every time you complete an objective (like killing 6 squirrels) and a bigger reward for clearing all the targets in the rank. You need to have cleared a rank to activate the next one, and the rewards will increase in higher ranks.

This is basically how you level up your starter class at the beginning, going from a milestone to another one like that.

Milestones
[+] Lv10
Some quests won't unlock until you're lv10.
Don't forget your guild quest.
Guildhests unlock, they're the first team content you can do. They also introduce some of the basic knowledge about how teams work in FF14, and give a big xp bonus the first time you complete them.
Levequests unlock, they're extra quest you can do as long as you have enough allowances to do so (you get 3 every 12 hours).

After doing your lv10 class quest, you can learn the other classes in the game, you just need to find their guilds and ask to join. So level 10 is the earliest you can experiment with the crafting or gathering classes.

[+] Lv15 important
Your guild quest will reward you an extra skill (not displayed in your skill list before that), you should try to get it ASAP, it's often a really good one.
The Lv15 story quest will reward you with the Airship pass, allowing you to go from any of the other towns easily.

The first dungeons are at this point of the main storyline, they're mandatory to progress further but they're not hard since they're made to introduce dungeon mechanics.
The content over that level was changed to be applied to the beta, I don't think what I could write about it will be correct for phase 4 or later, so I'll stop here.

About other classes
Some skills can be shared with other classes, for example you can get the Cure (heal) and Protect (increase def) spells from conjurer on any other Fighting class, these ones are really useful.
Aside from the classes you can fight with (Disciplines of War and Disciplines of Magic), your have the crafter classes (Disciplines of the Hand) and gatherer classes (Disciplines of the Land). DoH and DoL can't fight, but they're useful to create or repair armors, make potions, and of course collect the items needed for that. DoH are also the ones able to equip materias on gear.

And what about Black Mage or Dragoon ?
[+] Jobs
Well, they're not beginner stuff so they don't really fit here, but they're called Jobs. Jobs are a specialization of classes, it goes like this but I won't say how to unlock them here :
Thaumaturge => Black Mage
Conjurer => White Mage
Archer => Bard
Lancer => Dragoon
Marauder => Warrior
Pugilist => Monk
Gladiator => Paladin
Arcanist => Scholar or Summoner (the only class with 2 jobs so far)
Alkor
Banned
Banned

FFXIV Avatar: Alicia Searrs

Re: Tips for Beginners
July 21st, 2013, 10:52 pm

Nice post, good information.
Escape reality, live the fantasy! - Louisoix Leveilleur
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

FFXIV Avatar: Kosmos Meishou
FFXIV Class/Race: Miqo'te Gladiator/Conjurer
FFXIV Free Company: Nekomimis FTW!
FFXIV Linkshell: Nekomimis FTW!
WKC Avatar: KOSMOS

July 22nd, 2013, 12:39 am

hmmm... ill need something thats good at both Damage and Healing. any ideas?
Iron Courage. need I say more?
Sapphire
Neko
Neko

FFXIV Avatar: Sapphire Harushii
FFXIV Class/Race: Miqo'te Jack-of-all-trades in training
FFXIV Free Company: NekomimisFTW!
WKC Avatar: Sapphire

July 22nd, 2013, 6:29 am

Sapphire wrote:hmmm... ill need something thats good at both Damage and Healing. any ideas?

Yeah, choose between a damage dealing and a healing class because you can't have both at the same time in this game. :TBenough:
The healer job is nothing like in WKC, the party needs constant healing in dungeon fights, you don't have much time to try to deal damage.
Alkor
Banned
Banned

July 22nd, 2013, 6:44 am

This game has very focused classes. While you can end up being good at every class, you really just use 1 at a time. In a 4 person dungeon, the successful combination is always a tank, a healer, and 2 damage dealers. The healer just stays back and casts cure nonstop on the tank, or throws a cure at a damage dealer if they end up drawing aggro. Damage dealers just make sure they target what the tank has targeted and kill. There roles are determined before you start, and you stick with your role throughout.

Also, unlike WKC, you will have a unique level for every class. You may play a class to say level 20, but when you decide to take on another class, you start right back at level 1 in that class. In the end, you don't reach level 50 just once, it's a total of something like 15 times? At any given time you're only working on 1 class. The advantage of working multiple classes is that you can mix some abilities. For example, as a damage dealer you could pick up another class's attack boost ability that your class doesn't have.
Haggar
Neko Steward
Neko Steward

FFXIV Avatar: Haggar Drinksalott
WKC Avatar: Haggar/Bertha

July 22nd, 2013, 2:52 pm

Completely agree Haggar, this game is going to be about people learning to play their specific class really well and then working in a team with others. So knowledge of your own class and team working skills will be the core abilities.

There will be a reckoning when it comes to teamwork in parties. As a tank I can already see this coming, in a busy dungeon when the damage dealers split their attacks and don't attack what I am hitting, two things happen - unless it's an easy dungeon. 1) I can't maintain hate and 2) the healer can't keep up with healing the DDs and the tank and someone dies. Also when the tank is unable to hold the hate, they will burn their MP too quickly trying to grab the aggro If any additional mobs spawn and go after the healer - which leads to a dead healer.

I don't like being bossy, but at times inside I am screaming at the DDs to stop splitting their attacks and coordinate on my target....lol...I'm sure that from their point of view all the other classes have similar frustrations, we all just need to learn to work together within the abilities of our classes.
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

July 22nd, 2013, 3:00 pm

KOSMOS wrote:I don't like being bossy, but at times inside I am screaming at the DDs to stop splitting their attacks and coordinate on my target....lol...I'm sure that from their point of view all the other classes have similar frustrations, we all just need to learn to work together within the abilities of our classes.

Do you mean that somebody attacks a target and then switches target to something else? The 2 DDs hitting different targets? For me the targeting system is a real pain in the butt. If I don't get what the tank targets as my target within 2-3 seconds, then I'm attacking whatever I select first that's hitting the tank (given it's usually multiple mobs).

unrelated side note... when we did that toto rak run and I was drunk off my rocker, I hope things didn't go too bad. I found out the next day I had 8 armor pieces broken :lol:
Haggar
Neko Steward
Neko Steward

FFXIV Avatar: Haggar Drinksalott
WKC Avatar: Haggar/Bertha

July 22nd, 2013, 3:29 pm

Main reason I started early using the Signs whenever playing MRD. For better or worse, the tank has to be the party leader, as far as battles go. I'm not saying they're more important, but when a tank marks enemies with signs, I'd say accept those targets as fact even if you yourself think another enemy is more problematic.

Enmity in FF14 seems simple to hold on mobs once it's established, but it gets very hard to establish it in the first place when 2 DD's are attacking individual targets at full force. And this is coming from a MRD tank, who has an easier time holding several mobs than GLA.

And yes, it'll be a lot of learning how to play our own classes and how to play them with others. An example that comes to mind is, if you're playing with pugilists, don't ever start kiting an enemy. Nothing more irritating to PGL than having to chase enemies since our attacks have 0 range (barring later moves and MNK moves). And of course the heavy focus on flank/back attacks, can't do that either when the enemy keeps moving.
Lem
WKC Friend
WKC Friend

WKC Avatar: Lem/Meena

July 22nd, 2013, 5:37 pm

Haggar wrote:unrelated side note... when we did that toto rak run and I was drunk off my rocker, I hope things didn't go too bad. I found out the next day I had 8 armor pieces broken :lol:

LOL! No, it went fine.

I know that the targeting system, is far from perfect, but when questing with randoms, it get's irritating when you die multiple times because the aggro get's split and the healer goes down trying to save one of the damage dealers. In those situations if the aggro isn't split, the healer only needs to focus on the tank, and everyone works together to cut through the mobs like a hot knife through butter. It's just that compared to WKC (and I presume some other games) you can't really go off and freestyle or whatever you want to call it, you have to work as a team.

The auto-level sync pushes that even more since a high level player is nerfed back to whatever the level of the dungeon is. That means that regardless of level you pretty much have to work together and know your class. You can't have a high level player dragging lower level players through things in this game, nor can a high level player just saunter off on their own.
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

July 22nd, 2013, 5:45 pm

Lem wrote:Main reason I started early using the Signs whenever playing MRD. For better or worse, the tank has to be the party leader, as far as battles go. I'm not saying they're more important, but when a tank marks enemies with signs, I'd say accept those targets as fact even if you yourself think another enemy is more problematic.

I'd have to agree with this 100% - for better or worse, during battle the tank needs to be the leader so that targets being set, I created a macro to shield lob and mark a target, I can use it at the start of a fight, and then as each target goes down I can mark the next. I've been considering using the same macro to tag the first target and then the next nearest as 1 and 2 so everyone is clear on what is going on. Another thing Hina and I have been talking about is having Hina target one of the other enemies, tag it do not attack and then put it to sleep. Since Hina and I sit in the same room we can discuss targets in real time and coordinate the signs.

Lem wrote:Enmity in FF14 seems simple to hold on mobs once it's established, but it gets very hard to establish it in the first place when 2 DD's are attacking individual targets at full force. And this is coming from a MRD tank, who has an easier time holding several mobs than GLA.

Amen to that. Sometimes I can't get the enmity at all when DDs are spamming attacks, in that case I do what I can to protect the healer, and hope the DDs know what they are doing...lol. But seriously, GLA has a hard time in the situation you describe - you end up feeling very powerless.

Lem wrote:And yes, it'll be a lot of learning how to play our own classes and how to play them with others. An example that comes to mind is, if you're playing with pugilists, don't ever start kiting an enemy. Nothing more irritating to PGL than having to chase enemies since our attacks have 0 range (barring later moves and MNK moves). And of course the heavy focus on flank/back attacks, can't do that either when the enemy keeps moving.

I didn't know that about pugilists, GLA attacks up close and personal too, so it's less likely a GLA will kite, but I will definitely keep that in mind whenever I play archer.
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

July 22nd, 2013, 10:11 pm

I was already planning to make a topic about that, I just finished it : viewtopic.php?f=21&t=232
It's basic stuff again, but I think your discussion would be better moved there. Unless you want to make a more advanced topic about tanking in FF.
Alkor
Banned
Banned

July 23rd, 2013, 12:33 pm

someone please tell me theres Greatswords in FF14.
Sapphire
Neko
Neko

July 23rd, 2013, 12:44 pm

Well, there are two handed weapons so I am certain that if there are not already greatswords, there will be.
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

July 23rd, 2013, 1:34 pm

I guess you mean something like this :
http://i.neoseeker.com/mgv/575569/569/7 ... 202950.jpg

No, there's none in the game, that one can only be used for 2 or 3 seconds.
Alkor
Banned
Banned

July 23rd, 2013, 3:53 pm

KOSMOS wrote:Well, there are two handed weapons so I am certain that if there are not already greatswords, there will be.

i sure as hell hope they do add them. i have a sister to protect, dammit!
Sapphire
Neko
Neko

Next

Return to FFXIV Game and/or Technical Help