Healer guide questions

Stuck on a quest? Lost your Chocobo? Problems Connecting? Server errors? Ask your questions here, answer any questions that you can. Help each other out.
Healer guide questions
July 8th, 2013, 4:18 pm

I have been reading various topics on the beta test forum about healers and I am confused on some points, so I thought I would ask here. It is my first time in this type of game (my only experience being WKC) so I want to learn and be the best I can be in my class.

1) If a mob attacks a healer, do you run or do you stay put? Do you attack them back if no one is helping you out? Should you be using repose/fluid aura? I thought healers just healed, but some seems to fight and I thought tanks didn't like that because it garnered aggro.

2) Do you stay behind the tank or in front of the tank? I thought behind was the right spot but there seems to be debate.

3) Cure, medica, heal or don't heal. Some are saying that curing creates aggro. But if you don't cure the tank and keep on top of their health, then it is bad. Medica is only a last resort because it does get attention, but isn't it better than letting everyone die? Confused.

4) Healers are supposed to stay back at the edge of the fight, but what if a monster does a surprise attack from behind or one breaks off from the pack and attacks? Do I run to the fight in front of me, wait for someone to come and help or stop curing and fight the one alone? I am a little tired of being left with this single goblin/spriggan on me in a CBM corridor while the other 3 move on and then yell at me for them dying in the next room. :(

There may be more questions, but I am just interested because I am trying to learn in the beta. Thanks.

ℒℴѵℯ, Hina ~ Neko Hime-sama, NekomimisFTW ˚₊✩‧₊(⌯͒o̶̶̷̤ ꀾ o̴̶̷̤⌯͒)* ✩‧₊˚

“Everyone smiles, when they are with you. Please...go and help people in my place. Share your happiness with them." ~ Yui, SAO
Hinagiku
Grand Neko
Grand Neko

FFXIV Avatar: Hinagiku Meishou
FFXIV Class/Race: Miqo'te Healer & Weaver
FFXIV Free Company: NekomimisFTW
FFXIV Linkshell: NekomimisFTW
WKC Avatar: Hinagiku

Re: Healer guide questions
July 8th, 2013, 4:28 pm

1) a good idea is to run towards the tank and they can take the monster using their aggro moves,

2) id recommend stand in view of the tank (tank > enemy > every1 else), so that way we can see if we need to move closer and use our CC moves again to draw them in.

3) heal as needed anyway, and if you do aggro refer to step 1 lol.

4) it all depends on how every1 else is performing. the dps roles should be half attacking the mobs and half defending the healer imo.
and those stragglers sem to just slip by so easily :( hard to grab em all.

thats how i'd advise but others would differ i guess. lol. just seems the most logical to me :)

you're doing a great job so far :)
Diord Fionn: Glaine ár gcroí, Neart ár ngéag, Beart de réir ár mbriathar
Truth in our hearts. Strength in our hands. Consistency in our tongues.

Berformet
N4Life
N4Life

WKC Avatar: Shannon (and 7 others)

July 8th, 2013, 4:50 pm

Thanks, Berf. I am trying really hard, but I want to keep improving.

I know that a lot is situational and a lot is down to preference of the tank. But a lot of advice on that forum is confusing, so I thought I would ask here. :TBneko:

“Everyone smiles, when they are with you. Please...go and help people in my place. Share your happiness with them." ~ Yui, SAO
Hinagiku
Grand Neko
Grand Neko

July 8th, 2013, 5:32 pm

Hinagiku wrote:1) If a mob attacks a healer, do you run or do you stay put? Do you attack them back if no one is helping you out? Should you be using repose/fluid aura? I thought healers just healed, but some seems to fight and I thought tanks didn't like that because it garnered aggro.

Never run away when something targets you, I can't hit monsters running after someone because of the lag. Also, because of the lag again, if you run to the tank you'll likely pass near him and his attack will miss the target. Every time a healer does that, he's actually more in danger than without moving.

Fluid aura can be a good idea if you can put the monster just near the tank with it (it might take practice), but repose is probably the safest way.

Hinagiku wrote:2) Do you stay behind the tank or in front of the tank? I thought behind was the right spot but there seems to be debate.

Close enough to heal the tank, but not enough to get hit by AOE attacks. The good position is the one where you can do that. Of course, if the tank can see you it's better (just in case).

Hinagiku wrote:3) Cure, medica, heal or don't heal. Some are saying that curing creates aggro. But if you don't cure the tank and keep on top of their health, then it is bad. Medica is only a last resort because it does get attention, but isn't it better than letting everyone die? Confused.

Healers are here to heal, I don't think it's that confusing, lol. That said, you don't need to heal the tank all the time, losing 10% of his max HP won't kill him. Curing indeed generates aggro, but if you don't spam your healing skills all the time you won't generate more than your tank. When you don't heal the tank, you can do other stuff like using repose or other skills (like esuna) to reduce the burden on him.
Medica generates aggro more than Cure because it's healing more points between every target, but it's not like you'll attract everything on the field by casting it once in a while. I read that Cure is meant to be your main healing spell, Medica, Cure II and Cure III being here only for situational situations.

Hinagiku wrote:4) Healers are supposed to stay back at the edge of the fight, but what if a monster does a surprise attack from behind or one breaks off from the pack and attacks? Do I run to the fight in front of me, wait for someone to come and help or stop curing and fight the one alone? I am a little tired of being left with this single goblin/spriggan on me in a CBM corridor while the other 3 move on and then yell at me for them dying in the next room. :(

If you're really alone and no one noticed the attack, run to the group or you'll probably die :D. You can also ask for help with the chat. Just don't attack it, you'd generate aggro, which means more than one hit from someone else might not be enough to take it off you.
Btw, I never happened to me to see the healer dying because someone attacked like that.

Hinagiku wrote:There may be more questions, but I am just interested because I am trying to learn in the beta. Thanks.

We're all trying to learn, it'll come with time.
Alkor
Banned
Banned

FFXIV Avatar: Alicia Searrs

July 8th, 2013, 6:40 pm

From what I've played as Conjurer, it seems that if enemies start attacking you when you aren't directly attacking them then that's on the tanks conscience, so I don't think you need to worry about that.

The other thing I wanna say is, grow a thick skin. I know I'm working on it. Reason for that is, if you ever intend to play with "randoms", you're gonna get yelled at eventually.

For example, let's assume you do nothing other than use Cure on whoever needs it for the entire dungeon, a strategy that is absolutely okay in my book. You do this with 3 random groups, 3 times in the same dungeon.

Tank 1 is going to love you for doing just that.
Tank 2 is gonna be irritated and tells you to attack things so it won't take as long.
Tank 3 goes crazy, yelling at you because you dared heal someone that wasn't them.

So no matter what you do, eventually you'll run into someone that will give you a hard time for doing it. Which is a sad thing but given the sheer number of people of all trades in an MMO, it's just how it is.

I can guarantee you that all of us on this board have a bit of an edge over a lot of the user base already, since we're obviously reading stuff up about the game. That's not something everyone playing the game does, so we're all that bit more dedicated. :)
Lem
WKC Friend
WKC Friend

WKC Avatar: Lem/Meena

July 8th, 2013, 7:46 pm

Some guides for other classes from people who are knowledgeable in them would be greatly appreciated. An explation of the class's role and strengths could be helpful for those trying to decide a class or those to come. A generic overall tips thread would be great too. I know I could learn a thing or two.
Linelie
Mercenary
Mercenary

WKC Avatar: Linelie

July 8th, 2013, 9:44 pm

Thanks everyone.

Alkor, the "heal or don't heal" question was sort of in jest because a random tank yelled because a CNJ was actually healing. lol That and the fact that another CNJ was angry that they were put in the healing role and they wanted to be DD. I know better than that.

Lem, I am definitely trying to grow a thicker skin. I don't do well with people yelling at me so I rarely ever play with randoms (almost never did in WKC). But that is part of this game, it seems. At least for now. I know what you mean about tending to know a bit more than the average fan base. One person was advising me and when I asked a question about the Ifrit battle, they replied, "Oh, I haven't gotten that far yet." :TBstuck:

Speaking of the Ifrit battle, I am having major targeting trouble on that battle only. I have my default targeting set to party members and I do not have auto-lock engaged. I get through the first half of the battle with no issue. But then when he really gets going, my target locks on either the tank or the boss and I cannot back out it. I cannot see the floor (thus I cannot see the circles in order to escape). If I do manage to circle out of the lock, as soon as I cast cure one time I am locked again. This makes it very hard at the most intense part of the battle. This has happened to me 3-4 times. I have double, triple checked my settings and it only happens in that battle. What I am doing wrong?

Hinagiku
Grand Neko
Grand Neko

July 8th, 2013, 11:30 pm

1. Either run it into the tank's pull range or fling it towards them with fluid aura, don't go offensive on anything the tank isn't attacking, you'll draw aggro that could get you killed.

2. This is a case-by-case thing, generally the healer shouldn't be too close to anyone, to not get caught in an AoE intended to someone else. If you're in front it's easier to see when a mob runs off to you, but if you're in back the attackers should be able to help pull anything back off you. And of course, never leave healing range lol.

3. Cure is the heal you should prioritize, and obviously on the tank. Medica is more of an "Oh crap we didn't dodge that aoe" spell, but it generates a lot more aggro than cure and should not be a main healing tool. In addition, the tank doesn't need to be healed 24/7, for the content we have now, you can throw a few aero/thunder/stone at the tank's target til they're sitting at maybe 3/4 of their HP, then switch to healing til they're topped off, and repeat. Bosses of course requiring more healing.

4. Same as number 1, pull stragglers to the tank or fling them away, or sleep them, or any combination. Don't engage the extra mob, hand it off to the group, your job is to support them, their job is to keep you safe.

And don't worry about randoms yelling at you, I had one who tried to cuss me out for not picking up every single spawn in the Satasha fight, despite putting all my resources into try to. The damn DPS wouldn't do their job and kill them or close the gates, lol. When we looted the Cnj called him out for me, so no big deal.

And as for the targeting problem in Ifrit... are you accidentally anchoring your target? When you hit X on a target you're already targeting, it will "lock" onto them and allow for strafing/etc... but if you do an action to another target, it will revert back to your anchored target after, from what I've seen. The only solutions I've found are it dying or hitting circle a few times to cancel all targeting. If this isn't the issue, I don't know what is. Also, up and down on the D-pad only circles through your party, and you can anchor from there, too.
Paznos
Neko
Neko

July 9th, 2013, 12:15 am

Lem wrote:From what I've played as Conjurer, it seems that if enemies start attacking you when you aren't directly attacking them then that's on the tanks conscience, so I don't think you need to worry about that.

As a tank I do have to add one thing to that... ;) If the healer is out of my sight, I can't tell if something spawns on them, plus, there are problems with the Flash move in FFXIV, it is not really potent enough to grab the hate from a mob that has aggro'd on a healer, you have to spam it a couple of times or more (*-this is based on my experience in CopperBell Mine on Friday after the servers were booted, the spawn rates and aggro seemed very different, making Gladiator tanks almost useless), so assuming you know the healer has mobs on them, and you can get to them, you still may not be able to grab the aggro if your MP is not sufficient to flash a couple of times. As much as I love to play Sword/Shield, there one big thing that needs to change to make the Gladiator properly a tank - IMHO. The Flash Skill is too weak, and costly. You can use it perhaps 7 times, and sometimes even twice is not sufficient to grab aggro off a healer. At the moment the cost of it scales with your level, so despite getting more powerful and having more MP, you can't use Flash any more times because instead of 16MP it now costs 26MP to use. Both problems could be solved by not scaling the cost of Flash with the player level.

One skill that would be an awesome addition to a healer's skillset would be something akin to the decoy skill that Bow users had in WKC. A healer could transfer the aggro to the tank with such a move, but of course that would kind of make both healer and Tank even more symbiotic.
Escape reality, live the fantasy! - Louisoix Leveilleur
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

FFXIV Avatar: Kosmos Meishou
FFXIV Class/Race: Miqo'te Gladiator/Conjurer
FFXIV Free Company: Nekomimis FTW!
FFXIV Linkshell: Nekomimis FTW!
WKC Avatar: KOSMOS

July 9th, 2013, 1:38 am

KOSMOS wrote:One skill that would be an awesome addition to a healer's skillset would be something akin to the decoy skill that Bow users had in WKC. A healer could transfer the aggro to the tank with such a move, but of course that would kind of make both healer and Tank even more symbiotic.

There's one, but it's in the tank skill set, not CNJ. The Provoke skill will put the tank on top of the aggro list, no matter the state of the list. It'll just be barely above the player with the most aggro so the tank will need to increase it with other skills just after, but it's a very handy skill.
Alkor
Banned
Banned

FFXIV Avatar: Alicia Searrs

July 9th, 2013, 2:49 am

hmmm.... just curious, but is there something that can be used as a damage dealer AND support?
Iron Courage. need I say more?
Sapphire
Neko
Neko

FFXIV Avatar: Sapphire Harushii
FFXIV Class/Race: Miqo'te Jack-of-all-trades in training
FFXIV Free Company: NekomimisFTW!
WKC Avatar: Sapphire

July 9th, 2013, 5:04 am

Sapphire wrote:hmmm.... just curious, but is there something that can be used as a damage dealer AND support?

Not that we have access to them yet, but Bard should be just that. They retain their offensive pool from Archer and gain songs that restore HP, MP, and TP respectively. From how I'm reading this these songs don't require you to stop attacking after you've triggered them, although they will be a constant drain on your MP while they are active.

And Kos, I definitely agree on the relative ineffectiveness of Flash. Learned it on my Pugilist in the hopes of being able to do emergency "oh crap the healer is almost dead" rescues. Well turns out with Pugilists abysmal MP I can use the skill twice in a row and that's it. And all too often that isn't enough to get enemies away from them.

Provoke probably would fill that role better but for the Beta there's just too many things to do so I don't know if I can fit "level Gladiator to 22" to my list.
Lem
WKC Friend
WKC Friend

WKC Avatar: Lem/Meena

July 9th, 2013, 12:31 pm

Answers are already covered, but I just want to address #1 a bit more.

When you get aggro, you should never move. Alkor already explained nicely why, but it's true: just stay put and perhaps make a macro just for {Help me out!} - it sounds silly, but trust me, it's worth it for mages in general. The only time you want to run is if it looks like the whole party might get overwhelmed and you're the one getting pummeled; in that case you run in the opposite direction and get yourself killed so the others can escape. This really applies to anyone though.

The only exception is when you know the tank personally and know their play style. Like with Paz - if he prefers that you run towards him so he can grab the mob off of you easier, then you do so.

Honestly, that was the rule of thumb in FFXI, and I can see it being very similar in FFXIV. And yea, for range always keep a distance far enough to not get hit by AoE - the position (front or back of the tank) is up to what you find easier.
Ronneroo
Neko friend
Neko friend

FFXIV Avatar: Ronskandar Bonnoir
FFXIV Class/Race: Lalafell
FFXIV Free Company: NekomimisFTW!
WKC Avatar: Ayumu

July 9th, 2013, 1:19 pm

I'm just glad we won't have axe and great sword players yelling at people for healing them xD.

I think it will just take a bit of practice and time to understand how often you need to heal everyone. Tanks are meant to take damage, so you probably don't need to top them off constantly. My rule of thumb is to heal when someone is below 50% HP, though I haven't gotten to dungeons to see how much damage is taken from attacks.

I've heard a rumor that Hina has done a pretty good job healing so far ;)
"Each friend represents a world in us, a world not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born."
Rhapsody
N4Life
N4Life

FFXIV Avatar: Gemma Shahrizai
FFXIV Class/Race: THM/Hyur
FFXIV Free Company: Last Order (Test)
FFXIV Linkshell: Nekomimis FTW

July 9th, 2013, 3:18 pm

Thanks Rhapsody, but I don't know about that. I feel like I have made every rookie mistake there is. :sad:

I do like the fact that no one will fuss about healing, maybe.

Can anyone explain how to make a macro in PS3? I can see how this would be very beneficial.

Hinagiku
Grand Neko
Grand Neko

Next

Return to FFXIV Game and/or Technical Help