Titan (Hard)

Discuss end-game content in this section - partner up and find team members for battles such as the Binding Coil of Bahamut, the Crystal tower, as well as the relic quest line, hard mode primals and other high level dungeons. Find help guides and ask questions here.
Titan (Hard)
December 16th, 2013, 11:18 am

Party Setup
1 tank, 4 or 5 dps, 2 or 3 healers

A good mix of classes seems to work best here. Every class has something to contribute to this fight.

Recommended Gear
You will be required to have at least average item level 57. On top of this, you should have 3200+ HP as a healer or dps, and 4500+ as a tank (more is better).

General Notes
This fight is about knowing your 5 D's of dodgeball: dodge, duck, dive, dip, and dodge. Given the game's controls though we will focus on 2 of them: dodge and dodge. This fight is a real test of how well you can play your class, and how well you can react to what gets thrown at you.

Overview of the mechanics first:

tumolt - his stomp which does about 700 damage per stomp to everybody. As the fight goes on, he'll do more stomps at a time.

landslide - a rectangular aoe that targets a player at random (never the tank). If you get hit by this, you're thrown off the platform and out of the fight.

weight of the land - circular plume-style attack that randomly appears under players (again not the tank). You don't have much time to get out of it.

bombs - there are 3 possible patterns. They explode in the order they appear, note how the appear and move around accordingly to avoid them.

gaol - randomly places 1 player in stone. Others have to break them free. When the player is busted free, a healer must remove the debuff on them immediately. The player will be useless until the debuff is gone.

mountain buster - in the final phase, it's a trapezoid-shaped aoe focused on the tank. Only the tank should be within this range, so everybody else needs to know when this is coming and be sure to stay behind him.

There are 5 phases to this fight. It's really important to know the order of all attacks in each phase so you can be proactive to what's coming. In general Titan's attacks are about 5 seconds apart.

Phase 1
Tumolt -> Landslide (repeats)

This is the one place that landslide will not throw you off the platform, but still dodge it. When he does the stomps it's good to get near the back side of titan so healers can do a quick heal. After a little bit he jumps. Do a group hug on the tank (everybody get together right against the edge of the red circle where the tank is). Quick heal the damage, time for phase 2.

Phase 2
Weight -> Landslide -> Tumolt (repeats)

It's time to watch for the weights and dodge if you're on one. It's absolutely imperative to avoid landslides now. Do gather up near titan's backside at stomping so healers can do aoe heals. After a bit more damage he'll jump, group hug the tank.

Phase 3
Landslide -> Weight -> Bombs -> Landslide -> Weight -> Gaol -> Tumolt (repeats)

The first bombs will be a circle around the edge ending in the middle. Note the order in which the bombs appear. They will explode in the same order. In this circular formation, the center bomb will always explode last, so cluster near the center. After the first couple bombs explode, move to that location and allow the rest to explode before moving on, but also beware of the landslide that appears after half the bombs explode. When Gaol happens bust the person free immediately and remove the debuff. The 2nd set of bombs will start in the center and keep spawning toward the outside. There are 4 large safe areas on the outer perimeter, just camp in one of those until the bombs explode, again watching for the landslide that appears while the last bombs explode. When enough damage is done he jumps, group hug the tank and watch the last part of the platform disappear.

Phase 4 (heart phase)
Gaol -> Landslide -> Weight -> Tumolt -> Gaol -> Landslide -> Weight

Here is the dps check, there isn't much time to break the heart. Be sure to break the first gaol victim free quickly, but ignore the 2nd one. You don't have enough time to free them. If, by the final weights, you break the heart, then you have 3-4 seconds to break the 2nd person out of gaol.

Thanks Lem for the following note about saving vs using limit break here:
Use the limit to break the heart only if it cannot be broken in time any other way. Wait for the 2nd Gaol, dodge Landslide, wait for the Weight of the Land and the very moment it ends, LB the heart. If you're fast it'll happen soon enough.

If titan jumps before the heart is broken, it's a wipe. If the heart is broken, he does a strong attack and now shiz gets very real.

Phase 5 (be quick or be dead)
Mountain Buster -> Tumolt -> Weight -> Bombs With Landslide -> Mountain Buster -> Weight -> Gaol -> Landslide. (repeats)

The space is small, weights now appear under 6 players, he does 5 stomps at a time (which will increase as time goes on), and landslide appears in the midst of bombs. You need to take down 55% of his health in the midst of all this. Oh brother...

Tank note: in this phase only, it is possible to stun his stomps! Apply the stun shortly after the 3rd stomp, and he will just do a 4th and no more, no matter how long this phase lasts. If you watch, he does 3 quick stomps, a short pause, then the 4th through n-th stomp. Stunning early in that pause after the 3rd stomp will stop him at 4 total stomps. This will take a lot of stress off your healers if this last phase drags on for too long.

Given how many weights appear, the party should do some smart positioning to keep everybody safe. If people scattered all over, weights could be inescapable for some, adding needless strain to healers. Players should either stack behind titan, or form a "conga line" behind him (melee up front, healers in the middle, ranged deeps back) and dodge to the sides when weights appear. This way everybody just needs to move the radius of 1 weight to dodge. When scattered, a safe spot could likely be out of reach for some.

Gaol note: watch for the landslide that follows a gaol. Be sure you don't bust the person free as landslide is going off, you don't want to eliminate your teammate from the battle.

There is a new bomb mechanic, which is 3 rows of 3. The center row always spawns first. Go where the 3rd row spawns, and give yourself space to dodge a landslide. At the instant landslide executes, the middle row of bombs explode. Run to where the middle row of bombs was. Beyond this, I think the (repeating) bomb pattern is (and always watch for the landslide which goes off when the first bomb goes off)...

- circle with 1 in center
- 3 rows of 3
- the one that explodes from center out toward edge, with 4 safe spots on the edge
- 3 rows of 3

Otherwise, dodge like hell, do damage as quickly as you can, and healers be on your toes to pick up the tank from mountain buster, and the party from the repeated stomping. The most helpful thing is to know the order of attacks, be proactive, and be reactive. This fight really is just knowing how to follow a script, there are no surprises that come from titan himself.
Last edited by Haggar on December 16th, 2013, 10:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Haggar
Neko Steward
Neko Steward

FFXIV Avatar: Haggar Drinksalott
FFXIV Free Company: Nekomimis FTW!
WKC Avatar: Haggar/Bertha

Re: Titan (Hard)
December 16th, 2013, 7:25 pm

Haggar wrote:Phase 4 (heart phase)

Here is the dps check, there isn't much time to break the heart. At any time it's ready, a melee dps should deliver limit break. .

As a melee DPS, disagreeing with this hard. Even with barely geared people, the heart is breakable without need for the limit break as long as everyone is alive.

Use the limit to break the heart only if it cannot be broken in time any other way. Wait for the 2nd Gaol, dodge Landslide, wait for the Weight of the Land and the very moment it ends, LB the heart. If you're fast it'll happen soon enough.

Reason I say it's not a good idea to use the LB by default and immediately is, LB3 is an excellent finishing move for later in the battle, but mostly, and this is the main reason, any DPS using the Limit is likely to get themselves killed unless they already know the patterns perfectly. Animation lock for Limits is unforgiving, using it even slightly wrong will get you 'slided off the platform.
Lem
WKC Friend
WKC Friend

WKC Avatar: Lem/Meena

December 16th, 2013, 10:29 pm

Updated... your post also implies I missed the last weight in the move rotation, which I added in. thanks
Haggar
Neko Steward
Neko Steward

December 16th, 2013, 10:44 pm

http://i.imgur.com/IVRmCoM.jpg

How I learned the fight, except this one is pictures not a list
Paznos
Neko
Neko

December 18th, 2013, 3:56 pm

I need to memorize that picture Green. I'm kind of getting used to his rotations now but still not 100% there. At least I can now always live past heart though :TBneko:
Anayrie
Neko
Neko

FFXIV Avatar: Anayrie Dellicieux

January 23rd, 2014, 4:22 pm

Just to add to the post heart phase notes...

I hadn't seen this anywhere and it was mentioned in a topic on the SE forum, so looked it up. It works pretty well apparently. The stomps that titan does *can* be interrupted.

The MT should time their shield bash to land after the third stomp and it will interrupt the stops at the 4th stomp. If your timing is perfect, the stomps stop at 3, if you're just a hair off, titan will get a 4th stomp off, but no more 5, 6 or 7 stomps for healers to heal through.

Now, if I *ever* run Titan HM again, I will be sure to try stunning the stomps post heart.
:evil:
Escape reality, live the fantasy! - Louisoix Leveilleur
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

FFXIV Avatar: Kosmos Meishou
FFXIV Class/Race: Miqo'te Gladiator/Conjurer
FFXIV Linkshell: Nekomimis FTW!
WKC Avatar: KOSMOS

March 11th, 2014, 3:58 pm

updating wording a bit based on my experiences, I had a couple inaccuracies in there. I didn't build in the stunning the stomps thing only because I haven't seen anybody stun them yet. I do encourage people to try it and report any successes, suggestions, etc.
Haggar
Neko Steward
Neko Steward

March 21st, 2014, 12:57 pm

Stunning the stomps....IT WORKS!!

I ran titan HM with Mysty and a pickup group, and we killed him on the third attempt.

It was a learning run for me, I hadn't run Titan hard more than a couple of times since getting my own relic, and since learning about interrupting the stomps I wanted to try it out to see how it would work. I tried it out on our second run, which ended in a wipe, but I found the interrupt works beautifully. So on the 3rd and final run, we breezed through the final stage.

I was thinking about it, Tumult can deliver up to 8 stomps, each one is 600-ish (average*) damage so if he gets a full chain of 8 off that's nearly 5000 points of damage. Fair enough healers will be healing during Tumult, but even so it's a lot of damage to the whole party. I would imagine that with long chain of stomps, the party will be low on HP and healers will be scrambling to recover before the next set of AoEs arrive. So Paladins get to shield bashing and help everyone out.

* Note : According to a search I did, tumult can deal from 500-700 per stomp. So the best case scenario is that you interrupt at the 3rd one, and prevent 5 stomps from hitting with a potential saving of 3500 points per player. Think about that, a full run of 8 maximum damage stomps will wipe most players except well equipped tanks. So if you can interrupt the sequence, you are preventing a potential wipe....

But, if you stun him correctly he'll only get off 3 or 4 stomps in Tumult, which is between 1800-2400 points of damage, you're preventing anything from 2000 to 3500 DMG points per party member (between 12,000 and 29,000 for the entire party) just by throwing out a shield bash at the right moment. If you get it perfect, he only gets three stomps in Tumult. The impact of this is that a) healers can keep the party topped up, b) the healers can move more, helping them dodge since they no longer have to pray their cast of Medica 2 or Cure 3 happens before they have to move to avoid an AoE and c) keeps things from getting too urgent, allowing everyone to do their job and burn Titan to the ground.

So, in the end my take away from the experience was this.

• Paladins should MT Titan and Shield Bash MUST be on their command bar.
  • Paladins should shield bash Titan timed to hit right after the third stomp in the post heart Tumult attacks

Additional notes. Paladins shouldn't worry about eating a bomb, use a cool down and make sure it's only 1 bomb.

One more note, there will be an echo buff on primals with 2.2, so relax. If you wipe several times the fight will become considerably easier. The use of shield bash to interrupt the Tumult sequence is still a valuable technique to use.
Escape reality, live the fantasy! - Louisoix Leveilleur
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

FFXIV Avatar: Kosmos Meishou
FFXIV Class/Race: Miqo'te Gladiator/Conjurer
FFXIV Linkshell: Nekomimis FTW!
WKC Avatar: KOSMOS

June 16th, 2014, 3:55 pm

Finally updated the main post with regard to stunning the stomps. I've pulled it off as a warrior too. Tanking this fight is neat, you get to watch others fail all over themselves :lol:
Haggar
Neko Steward
Neko Steward

Return to End-Game Sandbox