Impossible(?) lv14 story mission

Stuck on a quest? Lost your Chocobo? Problems Connecting? Server errors? Ask your questions here, answer any questions that you can. Help each other out.
Impossible(?) lv14 story mission
June 24th, 2013, 8:38 am

I know the game is still in beta phase and that this mission will probably be made easier soon, but it's still annoying people so I'm posting about it anyway.
No matter your starting town, at some point you'll have to do a lv14 solo instance, and the boss will likely wipe the floor with you multiple times.

The following part will spoil the quest, so don't read if you don't want to know.

If you started in Ul'dah, this quest is called something like duty honor country, and consists in 2 consecutive fights.
    First fight
You're with NPCs against a group of lv15 attackers, with a lv20 boss.
[+] Strategy
Focus on killing everyone else than the lv20 one, the NPCs should heal you if you're in trouble.
After you kill every human, the mage will summon a big black demon, kill that one and when you're done the mage should be almost dead

This part is the easy part, the NPCs should heal you if you're in trouble.

Second fight
This is the part most people fail, this time there are only 2 enemies but you're alone.
[+] Strategy
Don't get close, the Gargoyle will come to you and the mage won't move, making it a one on one fight.
At some point (it's random), the Gargoyle will Poison you, it's an extremely potent poison, if you don't have an antidote, you'll die in seconds.
So put the Antidote item in your shortcut bar or you'll die.

You have 2 possibilities to win this fight : wait until help comes (by kiting the monster) or reduce its HP around 10% to make the help come.
The incoming NPC is able to heal you and is pretty strong, once he's here the fight is pretty much won.
Alkor
Banned
Banned

FFXIV Avatar: Alicia Searrs

Re: Impossible(?) lv14 story mission
June 24th, 2013, 11:41 am

We (Colette and I) heard extremely many people complain about this quest before we got to it ourselves. So we expected it to be very frustrating.

Turns out neither of us had any trouble with it whatsoever, as Pugilist and Thaumaturge respectively.

General advice I'd give is, take the time to branch into Conjurer just until level 2, you'll be able to carry Cure to your main class. Tremendous help for fights like this.

And really the only thing I'd suggest for them to fix, reading the complaints on the beta board, is change the cooldown on Antidote. 3 minutes is harsh. Lower it to an antidote every 30 secs or so and the boss would still be tough but would feel less arbitrarily hard, since it seems most people struggling with it are dying to the poison more than anything.
Lem
WKC Friend
WKC Friend

WKC Avatar: Lem/Meena

June 24th, 2013, 1:46 pm

Lem wrote:We heard extremely many people complain about this quest before we got to it ourselves.

That's why I made a topic about this quest, it's not that hard but you need to know a few things to stand a chance. The strategy I wrote isn't complete on purpose, I just gave the main points but ignored the details, I'm not here to ruin your fun to discover things.

For everyone starting in Ul'dah, running to Gridania is hard, and for the ones starting in Limsa it's not possible in this phase of the beta.
Alkor
Banned
Banned

June 24th, 2013, 3:15 pm

It seems that a lot of the story battles are quite easily done once you know the strategy, but extremely frustrating until then.

Otherwise you are up against a brick wall and a lot of people aren't as stubborn as we are. :D

ℒℴѵℯ, Hina ~ Neko Hime-sama, NekomimisFTW ˚₊✩‧₊(⌯͒o̶̶̷̤ ꀾ o̴̶̷̤⌯͒)* ✩‧₊˚

“Everyone smiles, when they are with you. Please...go and help people in my place. Share your happiness with them." ~ Yui, SAO
Hinagiku
Grand Neko
Grand Neko

FFXIV Avatar: Hinagiku Meishou
FFXIV Class/Race: Miqo'te Healer & Weaver
FFXIV Free Company: NekomimisFTW
FFXIV Linkshell: NekomimisFTW
WKC Avatar: Hinagiku

June 24th, 2013, 3:38 pm

Based on the text in some of the quests said by the NPCs, it would seem that these quests are intentionally difficult until you find the right tactic because they are specifically designed to teach us the tactics that work in FFXIV. Obviously there are times when the direct approach and brute force will work, but this and other quests really appear to be there to force us to learn other ways.
Escape reality, live the fantasy! - Louisoix Leveilleur
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

FFXIV Avatar: Kosmos Meishou
FFXIV Class/Race: Miqo'te Gladiator/Conjurer
FFXIV Free Company: Nekomimis FTW!
FFXIV Linkshell: Nekomimis FTW!
WKC Avatar: KOSMOS

June 24th, 2013, 4:01 pm

its causing me problems in limsa since i have no access to any other class except marauder. after i beat this then im set :)
Diord Fionn: Glaine ár gcroí, Neart ár ngéag, Beart de réir ár mbriathar
Truth in our hearts. Strength in our hands. Consistency in our tongues.

Berformet
N4Life
N4Life

WKC Avatar: Shannon (and 7 others)

June 26th, 2013, 2:56 pm

I've read in the phase 3 update that they have nerfed this battle some, thus making it easier.

“Everyone smiles, when they are with you. Please...go and help people in my place. Share your happiness with them." ~ Yui, SAO
Hinagiku
Grand Neko
Grand Neko

June 26th, 2013, 2:57 pm

i hope so.. when i beat it i can leave limsa and link up with everybody \^_^/
Diord Fionn: Glaine ár gcroí, Neart ár ngéag, Beart de réir ár mbriathar
Truth in our hearts. Strength in our hands. Consistency in our tongues.

Berformet
N4Life
N4Life

WKC Avatar: Shannon (and 7 others)

June 26th, 2013, 3:01 pm

Berformet wrote:its causing me problems in limsa since i have no access to any other class except marauder. after i beat this then im set :)

I have no idea how close I am to being set. lol

I have access to leves and guildhests. I have beat Leia's Legacy which I think was lvl10 and I am about to take on Guard a Guardian as soon as it comes online. That and Trial by Water (which I think I have the strategy for now). I am not sure, but Trial by Fire should follow - just a wild guess.

No clue where that puts me, but I am already lvl 17 - leveled mostly solo. Most of my map (to the outskirts of Noscea) and to ferry of Limsa (but not enough gil each time) has been explored.

:goner:

Hinagiku
Grand Neko
Grand Neko

June 29th, 2013, 8:06 pm

I beat it on my second try. Lost track of my Mp use the first time which is what did me in. If you have cure, you can really power through being poisoned. I hope they don't make it easier because I think it is a proper difficulty.
"Each friend represents a world in us, a world not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born."
Rhapsody
N4Life
N4Life

FFXIV Avatar: Gemma Shahrizai
FFXIV Class/Race: THM/Hyur
FFXIV Free Company: Last Order (Test)
FFXIV Linkshell: Nekomimis FTW

June 29th, 2013, 8:15 pm

Yes, once you notice you're not killing by the Gargoyle (it doesn't really hit hard) but by the poison, this fight isn't harder than some weapon quests. The mage is even taunting you, saying you won't survive the poison (hint hint). But you know how people are, they'll whine about how it's "impossible" until the difficulty is reduced, I hope the devs will ignore them.
Alkor
Banned
Banned

June 30th, 2013, 4:27 am

I got through that one fine.

I am stuck on Lord of the Embers. :(

I have tried nearly every strategy I can think of (CNJ). I have tried just healing the Flame Sgt and letting them take care of the enemies. Nope. I tried getting the boss. Nope - not enough damage fast enough. I tried getting the mobs; they just keep respawning. I almost had it just healing me and the Sgt but after a 2nd wave came through one made a b-line on me. I killed it and was still healing myself and the Sgt. I thought I had it that time and then MORE reinforcements came. :(

There has to be something, I just don't know what. But I can't do the Ifrit until I get this one. :scream:

Hinagiku
Grand Neko
Grand Neko

June 30th, 2013, 7:15 am

I agree with Lem about speeding up the potion times. How potent are your cures, Hina? Maybe the devs need to make them stronger for CNJ. I found some grapes in my inventory that speed up casting time- I don't know how much they might help in a fight like that. I forgot to use them, but I'm curious to know if they also speed up the potion cool down.
"Each friend represents a world in us, a world not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born."
Rhapsody
N4Life
N4Life

FFXIV Avatar: Gemma Shahrizai
FFXIV Class/Race: THM/Hyur
FFXIV Free Company: Last Order (Test)
FFXIV Linkshell: Nekomimis FTW

June 30th, 2013, 10:03 am

Rhapsody wrote:I beat it on my second try. Lost track of my Mp use the first time which is what did me in. If you have cure, you can really power through being poisoned. I hope they don't make it easier because I think it is a proper difficulty.

I beat em in my 2nd try as well, went for mage 1st time XD, 2nd time kept my distance and the Gargoyle came to me used gladiator def and atk buffs while spamming flash and we started smacking one another till both almost dead used a potion and then npc came to help. I was like suuuure after i used my potion lol
DarkZeru
Neko
Neko

FFXIV Avatar: Cheshire Cat
FFXIV Class/Race: PLD/Miqo'te
WKC Avatar: Zeru

June 30th, 2013, 10:11 pm

Rhapsody wrote:I agree with Lem about speeding up the potion times. How potent are your cures, Hina? Maybe the devs need to make them stronger for CNJ. I found some grapes in my inventory that speed up casting time- I don't know how much they might help in a fight like that. I forgot to use them, but I'm curious to know if they also speed up the potion cool down.

Thanks and it is a great idea. I tried them and grape juice and some steaks...anything I could. I have been spreading my points between piety and mind, but when the times come next most will go toward mind. But my cures are pretty good for my level.

Maybe I am just not using the right strategy.

Hinagiku
Grand Neko
Grand Neko

Next

Return to FFXIV Game and/or Technical Help