Gaming rat race....

This is the place for Chillin', kicking back and relaxing. Talk about Final Fantasy. Don't make the Toppu Neko mad.
Gaming rat race....
July 25th, 2014, 11:52 am

Answer me this, when did MMORPGs like Final Fantasy XIV become a competition?

Seriously, I'm genuinely confused by this aspect of FFXIV (and other MMORPGs), they are almost by definition open ended games that you play and that have no real 'end'. However every new patch for FFXIV that arrives demonstrates something that seems to have become a mainstream trend. The Hunt in the mot recent update is the almost perfect example. A lot of players are running hunts almost to the exclusion of other content, they are rushing around from mark to mark farming seals, and marks like there is no tomorrow. This is all in a rush to gear up as fast as possible. Everybody is desperate to have a higher ilvl and complete the new dungeons the day they are released. They've got to get the new primal downed immediately and move on to farming the EX version.

Sometimes it feels like people are playing a totally different game to me. Their gear is so different and the selection of content that they run is so restricted and different that in effect they are playing a different game.

To complete the present story content you really only need ilvl 90 at most, possibly less. And yet mainstream players seem to be hell-bent on obtaining ilvl 110 gear yesterday, if not sooner.

When I see people talking about running the new content after a patch, it's like there is literally a check list that they must complete as quickly as possible, and then move to a farming mode there after so they can max out their gear before anyone else get's ahead. If they are not as quick as others, they literally feel like they are left behind and using obsolete gear. I see this complaint all the time in SE's own forum, and other FFXIV forums where people bemoan the pointless ilvl 90 gear, complaining that older content just drops trash gear, not worthy of anything but trading for seals.

But, ilvl 90 is more than sufficient for all of the game's story and light party content. So, how can that level of gear be described in that way? For that matter how are people talking about ilvl 100 gear in the same way?

When I look at this in-game I feel like these players are living in some kind of Eorzean rat race where everyone has to rush to the highest ilvl as swiftly as possible and damn the consequences. It's like people will only run things that benefit their gear set, and even then will only run the most efficient things to maximize the material benefit obtained.

Whatever happened to playing for fun? Not to gear up as quickly as possible, not to smash the same content time after time after time, but just for fun. Why does everything have to be done as quickly as possible? Why is gearing up to the max so important when the story doesn't require it at all? Why do players think it's OK to abuse certain content making it unplayable for others not in the in-crowd (yes I'm talking about hunts)? And people get so competitive, which results in arguments over drops or full credit on hunts. People get aggressive about it, I see it on the shout channel with the hunts.

I'm not asking why people want to run the harder content, I totally understand the sense of achievement that completing hard quests or battles can bring. I just don't get why everything has to happen so fast. When did this become a race? When did it become a competition to obtain the gear before everyone else?

It just seems like people have escaped the rat race of life by coming to play in Eorzea, but rather than escape the rat race they have simply exchanged the rate race of real life for a gaming rat race in Eorzea.

Why do people do that to themselves? These games are open ended, you can take your time, there is no need to rush.
Escape reality, live the fantasy! - Louisoix Leveilleur
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

FFXIV Avatar: Kosmos Meishou
FFXIV Class/Race: Miqo'te Gladiator/Conjurer
FFXIV Free Company: Nekomimis FTW!
FFXIV Linkshell: Nekomimis FTW!
WKC Avatar: KOSMOS

Re: Gaming rat race....
July 25th, 2014, 2:08 pm

KOSMOS wrote:Answer me this, when did MMORPGs like Final Fantasy XIV become a competition?

The day they were invented :lol:

KOSMOS wrote:Seriously, I'm genuinely confused by this aspect of FFXIV (and other MMORPGs), they are almost by definition open ended games that you play and that have no real 'end'. However every new patch for FFXIV that arrives demonstrates something that seems to have become a mainstream trend. The Hunt in the mot recent update is the almost perfect example. A lot of players are running hunts almost to the exclusion of other content, they are rushing around from mark to mark farming seals, and marks like there is no tomorrow. This is all in a rush to gear up as fast as possible. Everybody is desperate to have a higher ilvl and complete the new dungeons the day they are released. They've got to get the new primal downed immediately and move on to farming the EX version.

Same observation, and in some cases even fill this role. I wouldn't say I'm hardcore at progressing but probably only 1 step below. I can't sit there and grind 1 and only 1 thing until it's done, but I sure will commit regular time to it. How much depends on how I enjoy doing said activity. Some things, like hunts, I do very selectively as I don't want to be competing with cheaters. Things like myth grinds I'll do when I have a need.

It goes with what I'll generally say... do whatever gets you the most enjoyment out of the game. If it's grinding out content in a couple weeks and not logging in again until next patch, so be it (but, don't tell me there's nothing to do in the game when you don't have 19 level 50 classes and all of them geared to the max :p ). Another thing I'll generally say is that people need to worry about what they're doing, and not what everybody else is doing. If you're way ahead or way behind someone else, who cares? It's an open ended game, go at your own pace and what not.

I can rant about hunts but won't... where it gets bothersome is when I look at PF. All you see there these days are people looking for 2nd coil teams, 2nd coil teams looking for fill-ins, some fate parties, and the occasional ex primal, screw up once and you will be raged on party. I used to jump into stuff for the fun of it periodically, but it seems those days have passed.
Haggar
Neko Steward
Neko Steward

FFXIV Avatar: Haggar Drinksalott
WKC Avatar: Haggar/Bertha

July 25th, 2014, 4:34 pm

I don't think it's really a race like that, people just play the game at different kind of ways.
Some have a lot of time to play, some don't, etc.
Everyone end up playing this game at a different pace, but that is okay.
No one is forced to play more than they want to/are able to.
Nami
Neko friend
Neko friend

FFXIV Linkshell: NekomimisFTW!
WKC Avatar: Nami

July 25th, 2014, 4:37 pm

Umm.. This started ever since the game released and pretty much the reason i dont mind letting my subscription lapse to play other games. The previous month i had my sub i probably quested with around 6 or 7 members of the free company. There were a few who helped through crafting and i appreciate that. The chat would remain so damn quiet until someone brings up a higher level activity that i gave up saying anything. I end up just doing the daily roulette and then switching games. Noone is really doing quests just to do them anymore, frankly its because wkc2 had nothing else to do so we just did whatever quests. Thats no excuse though. Even if you are grinding for something, i dont think it would be much trouble to take at least just one day of the week to just do things like lower level quests for others even if it doesnt benefit you at all.
John
N4Life
N4Life

July 25th, 2014, 6:40 pm

I have to agree with Haggar on just play how you want to play.

I see your point Kos, and I agree about the gear. I know my PLD wants the better gear (what tank doesn't want more HP ;)), but I'm never in a rush to get it, I mean, look at my upgrading to Animus gear, I'm still 3 books away from finishing my sword, but I'm in no rush to get it done (except to get it done before I get whm to 50 for relic weapon..)

As for running lower lvl content, I do that often enough when ppl ask for help when I'm online and able to help. I know I spend a good portion of my time helping members out, when they ask, and enjoy running the lower lvl content.

The soul yearns for Honour, and the flesh the here after.
Look to those who walked before, to lead those who walk after. -- Answers
Asterlan
Neko Guardian
Neko Guardian

FFXIV Avatar: Asterlan Whiteangel
FFXIV Class/Race: Miqo'te Paladin
FFXIV Free Company: NekomimisFTW
FFXIV Linkshell: NekomimisFTW!

July 26th, 2014, 12:21 am

I want to be clear here that I am talking in general about FFXIV, not one specific server or group, this is not about our FC or the people in it, it's about the community as a whole. Even though I can't spend a lot of time posting during the working day, I get plenty of time to read and I read SE's forum as well as forums and discussions at BGs forum and reddit. I get a pretty broad spectrum of comments, and the trends within the game are clear to see from that reading.

Thanks for the replies, I guess part of the reason I am seeing this competitive rat race as I called it is that in WKC the only real competition their was was the guild ranks. John may have touched on it as well with his point about the limited content in WKC meaning that we really didn't have much to do except quest, that said, getting the binding trophy was a feat of gathering and crafting.

One of the things I miss from WKC is the Bounty Hunts in the Free Monster Quests. I was hoping that the hunt system would offer something like this. But instead they went for open world content and didn't even use the same mechanisms as FATE or Leves to limit who can hit the mark to those actively hunting that mark.

I was hoping for more than what we got so that parties of 8 could join up and go hunting, instead you either join the horde, or get left out. To me the hunt would have been great if they could have set them up to allow up to 24 players into an instanced zone minus the NPCs and quest markers, and just let the party roam the zone for a time limited period seeing how many marks they can find and defeat.

Wishful thinking about the hunt aside, one thing that I have heard several WKC veterans in the Nekos say is that people are not the same in FFXIV as they were in WKC, and I don't just mean people in general, but even some of the Nekos who transferred from WKC when FFXIV first started. It seems that people were more and more obsessed with gearing and end game, and the tendency to only run things that directly benefited them self was something that grew increasingly strong. At the same time people became less social and less likely to talk on the LS or FC chat, which is disappointing in and of itself.

I don't know, perhaps I am just living in a Utopia of my own mind, but I thought that with this being an open ended game with continual content updates and tons of side quests and (as Haggar mentioned) 19 classes to level to 50, I thought people would take it easy and explore things together. However many of the people I used to see run anything in WKC, are far less likely to have that mentality now. I'm not immune to this rat race, I feel left behind and want to upgrade my gear - especially because as a PLD, I can't effectively play my class if my overall gear and weapon are 15-20 ilvls behind the DPS.

On the other hand, each new update brings many new features and mini-games. Gardening is a mini-game, having a personal chamber is one too. The Golden saucer will eventually arrive with limitless scope for Eorzean themed mini-games, and we already have the toy box in the In with it's selection of mini games as well. Over time the sheer amount of content and things to do will give players like me the ability to keep up with the story, not worry about end-game unless we want to and while away time in the mini-games. When I signed on to FFXIV I was thinking about playing the game for the long term, I knew that there would be so much added to the game that I might never keep up, and that appeals to me because I can play at my own speed and in the time I have available, and enjoy the game. Although it's 1000000000000 times more enjoyable when I can share that playing time with friends. :)

Even now there is so much to do that if I spend time focusing on Crafting it could eat a month or two of my playing time and then 2.4 will be on the horizon with me not even having completed 2.3 content. As they add more content, that situation will continue to get better until it get's to the point where there will be a literal unlimited buffet of things to do. I wonder what the players caught up in the competitive end-game/gearing scene will do then?
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

July 26th, 2014, 1:26 am

i don't see why people don't just take their time. its not like the end WKC is going to happen a second time. i can understand wanting to get a class to 50 quickly, i was somewhat like that with Paladin, and i'll probably be that way with Conjurer/White Mage because healing isn't exactly my forté, but my point is you have the freedom to play at your own pace, that doesn't mean you have to rush EVERYTHING. if you do rush, you'll just get bored faster.
Iron Courage. need I say more?
Sapphire
Neko
Neko

FFXIV Avatar: Sapphire Harushii
FFXIV Class/Race: Miqo'te Jack-of-all-trades in training
FFXIV Free Company: NekomimisFTW!
WKC Avatar: Sapphire

July 26th, 2014, 1:34 am

Play how you want to play, this game offers enough variety and ways to gear up that you can take your time. Personally when I play a game, I strive to do more DPS than everyone around me.. it's just something I like to do.. it provides motivation for me to continue gearing and progress my character.
BumRush
Neko
Neko

FFXIV Avatar: <avatar>
FFXIV Class/Race: <class>?
FFXIV Free Company: <NekomimisFTW>?
FFXIV Linkshell: <NekomimisFTW>?
WKC Avatar: <player>

July 26th, 2014, 7:00 am

First y'all are saying "play at your own pace" but then you follow it up with "slow down". Maybe this is my pace. You may say it's rushing through, I say it's playing how I want to play.

With every patch that comes out, I want to learn the new stuff before I'm told how to run it. There is no greater feeling then discovery in this game. The first run of Syrcus tower, all new people, none of us knew what to do and we had to work together to figure out what to do. That was fun!

And then there's that feeling when you finally clear something you've been working on for weeks, along side a team as committed to it as you are, that has struggled along with you. This is fun!

Teaming up with friends and going out to hunt...and finding the marks, or maybe you're moving through an area and someone asks you to team up and help with a mark hunt. This is fun!

Desynthing that fish and getting the pareo you really want....FUN!

Unexpected seeds in your garden from cross-breeding your plants...FUN!

A 50% chance of failure Det 4 materia succeeding...FUN!

Achieving your goals in the game, not worrying about what other people are doing, this is what you need to do. There is just too much negativity going on. Everyone complaining about others. Stop that. Worry about yourself and figure out how to have fun on your own.
psn: Ack-Tar
Colette
WKC Friend
WKC Friend

FFXIV Avatar: Jamie Ciel
FFXIV Free Company: SWEET
WKC Avatar: Jamie/Colette

July 26th, 2014, 9:36 am

Figure out how to have fun on your own...... Yeah..... I guess theres no point in being in a free company at all with this game.
John
N4Life
N4Life

July 26th, 2014, 12:22 pm

John wrote:Figure out how to have fun on your own...... Yeah..... I guess theres no point in being in a free company at all with this game.

Oh there is a point to a Free Company. But you can not depend on others for your fun. The same way you can't look to others for your happiness. Too many people spend too much time complaining about what others are doing instead of doing what is fun for them. This is a game. It's for enjoyment. If you're not enjoying it, find another game or another activity.
psn: Ack-Tar
Colette
WKC Friend
WKC Friend

FFXIV Avatar: Jamie Ciel
FFXIV Free Company: SWEET
WKC Avatar: Jamie/Colette

July 26th, 2014, 2:29 pm

I have enjoyed everyone's opinion and thoughts on this. It has been interesting.

I think I appreciated Colette's post most of all. All of those things do sounds like the most FUN! Back in WKC, the best things were figuring out how something new worked...not reading a guide that others wrote about how to do the quickest. In fact, I did that with the story and side quests this time because I wanted to do them "blind". So I started them right off as soon as I logged on after the patch.

The most fun I have had in this game is gardening and getting the seeds. :danceneko: so I understand some of that.

Because of my play style and timidity, I have had to learn the lesson of forgetting about what everyone is doing and play the game solely for myself. Sometimes I feel bad simply because I don't feel that I can be as helpful to others or that I miss out on some parties that my friends are able to join...but I will get there eventually. I like this game and am not going anywhere so I have plenty of time.

Being part of a FC is a major part of all this. There are members of all levels so there is always someone to work with or help no matter where you are in the game. If you are doing crafting or gathering, you can help each other in those ways and you get the boosts,etc. plus we get the garden harvests and chocobo stuffs.

Basically just have fun. Don't do something if it is 'work'. This is a stress relied and it shouldn't be a stressor.

ℒℴѵℯ, Hina ~ Neko Hime-sama, NekomimisFTW ˚₊✩‧₊(⌯͒o̶̶̷̤ ꀾ o̴̶̷̤⌯͒)* ✩‧₊˚

“Everyone smiles, when they are with you. Please...go and help people in my place. Share your happiness with them." ~ Yui, SAO
Hinagiku
Grand Neko
Grand Neko

FFXIV Avatar: Hinagiku Meishou
FFXIV Class/Race: Miqo'te Healer & Weaver
FFXIV Free Company: NekomimisFTW
FFXIV Linkshell: NekomimisFTW
WKC Avatar: Hinagiku

July 26th, 2014, 8:25 pm

BumRush wrote:Play how you want to play, this game offers enough variety and ways to gear up that you can take your time. Personally when I play a game, I strive to do more DPS than everyone around me.. it's just something I like to do.. it provides motivation for me to continue gearing and progress my character.

I wish that ffxiv had more horizontal gear progression to allow players to make their characters a bit more custom.
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

Return to General FFXIV Discussion