Marking the passing of WKC....(in-game Event)

This is the place for Chillin', kicking back and relaxing. Talk about Final Fantasy. Don't make the Toppu Neko mad.

Hey everyone, with the 1 year anniversary of the end of WKC coming in about 4 weeks time, I was wondering about holding an event to mark it's passing. I know that I am not the only person sad that WKC passed before it's time. So, I believe that there will be many others who would like to remember WKC fondly. Perhaps we can get together to celebrate WKC and rekindle our fond memories of the world of Balandor, Parma, Greede, Albana, Faria and Baccea.

Since we now have the aesthetician and glamour system in FFXIV, it's more possible than ever to alter the gear and look of our character.

What do you all think about having a theme week (June 16th thru Jun 22nd) where we alter our FFXIV character to match the appearance of either our own character from WKC, or our favorite character or NPC from White Knight? I know that there are limits to how we can change things, but I also know that we are all creative people, and loved White Knight, so I have faith that we'll manage to make it work somehow.

This is not something that should be limited to the Nekomimis For The Win! We have many friends in Eorzea on the Behemoth server who loved WKC. So, let's all try, as a community, to gather as many friends of WKC as we can during that week, and on the weekend, Saturday and Sunday, let's get everyone we can, who are online, to share the new looks we create and share our memories from WKC.

My suggestion would be for all who are online to gather at a single location, somewhere that is relatively private so we will not bother others, or be bothered ourselves. The Hermit's Hovel in Outer LaNoscea is a nice secluded spot and would make an excellent location I think. So, let's gather there once on Saturday and once on Sunday. We can share memories and chat using /say for the local area since we may not all be in the same FC/linkshell groups.

What do you think?
Escape reality, live the fantasy! - Louisoix Leveilleur
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

FFXIV Avatar: Kosmos Meishou
FFXIV Class/Race: Miqo'te Gladiator/Conjurer
FFXIV Free Company: Nekomimis FTW!
FFXIV Linkshell: Nekomimis FTW!
WKC Avatar: KOSMOS

I won't be able to partake in the event dates as I have company in town on that weekend, but in the spirit of the event I'll recreate Bertha. Given she was a mage she'll make her Eorzean appearance in Uldah. I'll probably do this one of the next couple weekends.
Haggar
Neko Steward
Neko Steward

FFXIV Avatar: Haggar Drinksalott
WKC Avatar: Haggar/Bertha

Well, how about after the main event, we gather as many night time nekos as we can, the following week to give WKC a loving farewell? I'd hate for you to miss out, as I know you loved the game as much or more than I.
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

Oh White Knight how i miss you so :noo: It only felt like yesterday when i was playing it with friends and sitting there for hours upon hours talking and forgetting to quest. As for the event i hope i can make it to that section of the game.
Chee
Neko Guardian
Neko Guardian

FFXIV Avatar: Chee Hawj
FFXIV Class/Race: Elezen Paladin
FFXIV Free Company: Nekomimis
FFXIV Linkshell: Nekomimis
WKC Avatar: Chee

Oh, how life has a knack of getting in the way of leisure time...lol. Enough excuses from me, it's June 18th, and that means that it is one year today since the cowards at D3Publisher, Sony and L5 International conspired to kill a game that many of us continue to hold near and dear to our heart.

The original intention was to try to do a weeklong theme of WKC-alike characters, and generally speaking talk about the game. Since toady is 'the day of infamy', let's try to kick things off today with applying the theme to our character appearance. Whether it be something we can do through glamor, or Aesthetician, try to change your character appearance to match either your own avatar from WKC or one of your favorite NPCs from WKC. Kos will either try to resemble herself from WKC or Framboise.

Let's post pictures to this topic over the next week or so as a week of commemoration of WKC, and also of just how we can continue to keep the fun and spirit of WKC alive in Eorzea.

Perhaps over the weekend we can gather in one location to share a moment with each other, The Hermit's Hovel in Outer LaNoscea was a suggestion for a nice spot that would be out of the way. Although that may not be available to newer players. So let's play it by ear, and start of in Gridania - which somewhat resembles Parma/Balandor - without the grand castle aspect of Balandor of course, today. Tomorrow we can hang out in Uldah which to me conveys some of the spirit of Albana and Greede. Friday we can gather in Limsa which in some ways is reminiscent of Faria, especially as it's not on the mainland, and requires some travel. We can revisit these three locations again if people wish, or simply make the hermit's hut a gathering place at the weekend.
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

Well, thanks to horrible stomach illness I didn't play yesterday (or today), however I did manage to play a bit on Wednesday before the illness struck...

Hina, Cat and myself did our best to inject a little WKC style into the game. It wasn't as easy as I first thought it would be to come up with something, but I think Hina made a good version of Kara, and Cat's version of Yulie is pretty darned good. I opted for the easy one and made Framboise, but if I can re-make Kos from WKC or another character over the weekend I will.

We took some pictures in Revenants Toll which in some ways might double for Balandor at night...

From the left this is Cat, Kos and Hina aka Yulie, Framboise and Kara;
...and a few more...

I took a few of just Framboise;
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

Well, since The anniversary has come and gone with barely a comment, I will lay WKC to rest now.

I've never worked so hard to try to save/improve a game, or save it's community. Several people went above and beyond the call of duty trying to get D3/Sony/L5 to support this game outside Japan. Although those efforts were unsuccessful, they should not go unrecognized.

I can't remember the names of everyone who was involved from the old Neoseeker community, but I will remember now that Rhapsody was instrumental in getting the player petition for DLC created and signed. Also, a mysterious player called UBERHAXED (who now plays FFXIV - not on Behemoth though) who revealed the true extent of the missing game content and just how much was on the discs already, should be remembered as someone who risked themself by helping the community at a time when Sony was being very proactive in taking legal action against hackers on PS3. I'll also remember now the mysterious, and unnamed (no really, I don't know who it was) player who sent me the images of some of the missing content, as well as images from the official guide that mentioned items that only existed in the locked files.

Another player who helped out in one way or another was Alkor, thank you. Also, unbeknownst to many here, Hina helped me greatly when I was trying to put together the information packs and petition documents to send to D3, Sony and L5.

Ultimately, we gained more or less 1000 valid signatures to the petition for the WKC DLC. That petition was completely ignored by Sony, L5 and D3Publisher. Copies of the petition and supporting documentation (which included the evidence of the locked content) was sent to D3P in the US, L5 International in the US, SCEA, SCEE and the the head of Sony Worldwide Studios (games). People such as Kaz Hirai and Yoshida Shuhei at Sony were on the list of 10 senior executives who were sent the petition. I know that all 10 of the packages were correctly delivered and received by the intended recipients because I paid for delivery confirmation on each of them, but not one of them had the class or guts to acknowledge the receipt of the petition.

About 3 months after the petition was received, D3 announced the end of WKC outside Japan (BTW lifetime sales of WKC2 split almost exactly 50/50 between Japan and the rest of the world - Americas and Europe, with slightly more copies being sold outside Japan). In a way you could take that act as the answer to the petition, in other words a very loud 'NO'.

Personally I campaigned to save WKC on Facebook at the D3 and WkC pages, with our own page there, the petition, Neoseeker, in-game on the message boards. I spent days of my time cleaning the petition of malicious signatures and duplications. Hina and i put a lot of time into writing the accompanying letter and preparing the information packets for the people we were contacting. I spent money and time making sure that they were delivered to the right people and confirming their delivery. I also managed to get 3 gaming news outlets to cover the community effort to get the DLC.

The NekomimisFTW! guild that started so small and grew constantly until ultimately reaching rank 10 with the lead guilds, and then taking a top 10 guild place for more than 6 months in WKC, managed to hold together and transition to FFXIV. The community we built in WKC has successfully transitioned to FFXIV, and although some former Nekos are no longer a part of the NekomimisFTW! we have added old friends from WKC from other guilds as well as new friends from FFXIV itself.

Regardless of the failure of our efforts to convince the publisher/developers of WKC to bring the full game to players outside of Japan, regardless of the ridiculous and cowardly behavior of D3, L5 and Sony in closing WKC just over a year ago, our greatest victory is that we saved our community and continued to grow it in it's new home, Eorzea.

So many times in anime, the central theme behind a story or main character is one of always moving forward rather than stopping and stagnating. You cannot rewind time, you can only live in then present and look forward to the future. Keep moving forwards, making things better as you go, not trying to return to the past. The NekomimisFTW! will continue to look to the future and live in the present. We acknowledge our past, it is a fine history, worthy of remembering, and being proud of. But it is the past now, and other than occasionally cosplaying our favorites, or remembering the more fun moments from WKC, we have so many more memories to make with friends we already have or may meet in future.

Thank you to all the members of the NekomimisFTW!, members of all the WKC guilds who remained active right to the end, players who showed their commitment to that community by spending their time with us, even when we knew the game was dying. Thank you to everyone who was involved with trying to get the WKC DLC, and trying to prove that the western audience loved the game and deserved just as much care and attention as the Japanese audience got. Thank you to the community of players who started at Neoseeker and joined the NekomimisFTW! and who stayed with us through thick and thin to join everyone in Eorzea.

Thank you to Hina for putting up with me, despite my frustrations and anger over the whole D3/Sony/WKC debacle. Thank you too Hina, for standing by me, and our NekomimisFTW through the years, you've held me together and together we have kept the NekomimisFTW! true to itself throughout it's life.

Finally, thank you to everyone who has stayed with us. Ever since we created the NekomimisFTW! in WKC, one of the things I have always stated as an aim of the Nekos is to help everyone enjoy the game as much as we do. That is still my personal aim, I hope it is an aim that all of you can share and work together to achieve.

I'll never forget the last night in WKC, I'll never forget playing those last few quests, saying farewell to our avatars, saying goodbye to the guild town, georamas and the world of Leonard, Yulie, Kara, Caesar, Eldore, Will, John, Fvilya/Linelie, Paznos, Trogdor, Aljotron, Calliope, Maegwin Rhapsody/Fawn, Alkor, Kayla, Kagami, Ruby, Mellarose, Chee, Haggar, Kosmos, Perla, Hinagiku, Sky, Gwindar, Carpenter, Revjak, Sapphire, Torchic, Hope, Berformet, Nami, Rachel, Clara, Lucia, Tyrael, Karyn, Griff, Ladius, Ronny, Jade, Axie, Lukia, Milka, Misae, Algli, Nikkea, Mariano, Mataeus, Zeru, Cara, Mystria, Musashi, NoctLucisCaelum, Subaru, Midori, Nik, Trema, Onyx, Kyrie, Lillith, and so many others who I cannot even begin to name.

I'll never forget WKC, thanks for everything.
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

Rest in Peace, WKC. We will never forget.
Iron Courage. need I say more?
Sapphire
Neko
Neko

FFXIV Avatar: Sapphire Harushii
FFXIV Class/Race: Miqo'te Jack-of-all-trades in training
FFXIV Free Company: NekomimisFTW!
WKC Avatar: Sapphire

Indeed Sapphire,indeed.

Thanks for reading, it wasn't intended to be a eulogy, but it appears that is what it became.
:cool:
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

not a problem. in my opinion, after everything that happened to us there, it deserves something of a eulogy at least.
Iron Courage. need I say more?
Sapphire
Neko
Neko

FFXIV Avatar: Sapphire Harushii
FFXIV Class/Race: Miqo'te Jack-of-all-trades in training
FFXIV Free Company: NekomimisFTW!
WKC Avatar: Sapphire

Thank you, Kos, for showing me the world of online games and friends far and wide.

WKC is the 2nd best game I have ever played, only behind Xenosaga series, and I will never forget.

From my first quest in WKC1 to that last night in my geo, alongside friends waiting for the universe to crumble...it was amazing.

I wish more folks had paid attention, but that is life I guess. Onward to the future. Live in the now, not the never.

ℒℴѵℯ, Hina ~ Neko Hime-sama, NekomimisFTW ˚₊✩‧₊(⌯͒o̶̶̷̤ ꀾ o̴̶̷̤⌯͒)* ✩‧₊˚

“Everyone smiles, when they are with you. Please...go and help people in my place. Share your happiness with them." ~ Yui, SAO
Hinagiku
Grand Neko
Grand Neko

FFXIV Avatar: Hinagiku Meishou
FFXIV Class/Race: Miqo'te Healer & Weaver
FFXIV Free Company: NekomimisFTW
FFXIV Linkshell: NekomimisFTW
WKC Avatar: Hinagiku

Let this start a new chapter in our books. A new beginning that which will continue on for ages. I will never forget those in WKC including the NPCs. It was a great game and it is what brought us together. So let us fight on like we have always done! :TBfired:
"True Justice For All" -The highlander code in Etrian Odyssey

I want everyone to be happy and if someone is to jeopardize that then I will do everything I can to fix it.
TorchicEX
Neko Guardian
Neko Guardian

FFXIV Avatar: Micaiah Evelyn
FFXIV Class/Race: Au Ra, Raen, Astrologian
FFXIV Free Company: NekomimisFTW
FFXIV Linkshell: NekomimisFTW
WKC Avatar: TorchicEX

I could go on and on and on... FF will never live up to WKC in my book, but at least it's good enough to play daily. I would have played along with the event if I didn't have company over for the weekend. I've thought about loading up WKC and playing some but it really wouldn't be the same. That fateful day though will forever be in my PSN status message (via ps3) though.

btw, can't readily recall for frambrois but yulie and kara were not cat people :p and still, one day you will see the lost soul of bertha wandering about eorzea... one day....
Haggar
Neko Steward
Neko Steward

FFXIV Avatar: Haggar Drinksalott
WKC Avatar: Haggar/Bertha

Framboise was the researcher you get your Knight from, she was a warg, which meant Neko ears - and actually she had almost the same facial stripe pattern that Kos has now...

Yulie and Kara may be wearing their warg disguises purchased in the guild town shop...which added - of course - Neko ears.
:kawaii:
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

Return to General FFXIV Discussion