[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
NekomimisFTW.com • View topic - Yoshi-P is a stand-up guy and has my total respect

Yoshi-P is a stand-up guy and has my total respect

This is the place for Chillin', kicking back and relaxing. Talk about Final Fantasy. Don't make the Toppu Neko mad.

OK, Naoki Yoshida - aka Yoshi-P is a stand up guy. I'll post a link for the full letter but this bit caught my eye in particular. Yoshi-P is talking about the login and character creation restrictions in FFXIV, does something here that is almost literally as rare as hen's teeth...

[tuote]The fact that we had to implement these restrictions is a direct result of my inaccurate sales and login estimates, and as producer, I must accept complete responsibility for this misstep. Each and every player who has been affected has my deepest apologies.[/quote]

You see that, Yoshida-san put his hand up, owned the problem, owned the responsibility and acknowledged the mistake as well as offering a sincere apology. NO ONE ever does this any more. No one. Especially in the West.

If he did nothing else, doing this one thing earns my total respect for Naoki yoshida and the work that he is doing. The rest of the letter discusses the issues around the launch, as well as the progress on acquiring new servers, it is a very good read, with a ton of information.

Here is the Letter from the Producer;
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/thre ... ost1111872

KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

FFXIV Avatar:
FFXIV Class/Race:
FFXIV Free Company:
FFXIV Linkshell:
WKC Avatar:

Whether it was him or the higher-ups, they have done a horrible job of releasing the game. They insufficiently tested the game, realized it, and just realesed the game anyway. Instead of having the open beta sooner and with more time to notice these things, it seems more like they thought the beta phase 3 stress test was enough. I'm pretty naive to MMO things but even I thought there would be much more people now that anyone could get in. It's like they thought they had enough data from a closed test, then just put out a quick test just in case. it was more like they were hoping that things would hopefully just be ok than a proper test with a proper time period to make corrections and thought maybe they could wing it as things went on.

It wasn't long before they realized their mistake. They then released the product anyway as I guess it was too late to push the release date back or whatever have you. They basically released a game that's pretty much unplayable at many points. There's no offline mode so making sure people can get on should have been an important priority in their minds. They failed to do so and the game was filled with numerous errors concerning this, such as worlds being full or instances not working. They can apologize but no matter what, I feel that they could have prevented this but just decided to go with the flow. Truthfully I'm not someone that's most affected by this as this game wasn't something i was highly anticipating as much as many others. Those who were have been frustated, annoyed and utterly let down. It's good they're fixing this but they really seemed to ignore something so obvious. Did they not want to pay for more servers just in case expectations were exceeded? Not like expectatins haven't been exceeded, even greatly, for games before, not to mention FF tends to be highly popular. No access to preorder numbers? Collector's edition sold out way before open beta even came on. Why wasn't open beta longer to really gauge interest properly and not at a sooner time? As they're apparently so open to the public, they should certainly explain in greater detail.

They are giving seven extra days but as said, they went and released a beta. I feel that paying customers should be more properly rewarded as they unowingly brought a beta and were forced to test it while the devs made corrections. just giving back the days isn't enought to amend people having to be annoyed and essentialy unable to play. I heard people in game saying they even took off work to play and that certainly won't be given back. The whole thing reflects very poorly on them and if they're truly apologizing, they can do a bit more to show it.
Linelie
Mercenary
Mercenary

WKC Avatar:

Respectfully, I disagree, the game is neither unplayable or flawed, the flaw - such as it is - is a massive over supply of demand, and under-supply of server. The game itself is stable, and high quality. It's in a better state right now than White Knight ever was.

KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

FFXIV Avatar:
FFXIV Class/Race:
FFXIV Free Company:
FFXIV Linkshell:
WKC Avatar:

It's always going to be tweaked, forever. That's just how PC games are. GW2, a year later, still gets updates for bug fixes and skill changes. No game released is completely done and perfect. As people in FF seem to be leveling quite high, I can't believe that the game isn't playable. I still think they should give something to people who preordered, as you said some people used vacation time from work, which they won't get back. Some special item or an extra month of free service.
"Each friend represents a world in us, a world not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born."
Rhapsody
N4Life
N4Life

FFXIV Avatar:
FFXIV Class/Race:
FFXIV Free Company:
FFXIV Linkshell:

As long as I never see the "can't load EU/NA group list" or the world is full message when it comes time to pay for subscriptions, I can live with the current situation. At least once I'm in I don't get dc'd *knocks on forehead*

Aside from the targeting system, gameplay is quite solid, it's logins that are the problem. Hopefully that's resolved this week, but I still say it's a huge fail on their part to have all these servers in 1 datacenter. They really should be spread across at least 4, have a couple in the US and a couple in Europe. They can do all the hardware upgrades they want but there is only so much bandwidth that can travel through 1 datacenter.

Yes it's nice that whats-his-face owned up to the mistakes in planning, but at this point there's no such thing as a sincere apology from SE. You can't throw the word around 20-30 times a day every day and expect people to believe it. This is exactly what I envision: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlIRsFf9aJc
Haggar
Neko Steward
Neko Steward

FFXIV Avatar:
FFXIV Free Company:
WKC Avatar:

the fact that the open beta was broken for a day, people unable to sign in from open beta to a week after game release, the suspension of digital game saves, the daily messages of technical difficulty, i dont think he had a choice but to accept all the blame as the head guy. the problem was clear, he underestimated the amount of people playing. they shouldve kept an eye on preorder numbers on a game thats so dependent on player count to keep online. as the head guy for the game, he sbouldve known that a week before game releases isa horrible time to do an open beta test. probably done it to build hype close to game launch but thats extremely risky as theh found out. shouldve been about a week or two earlier and extended based on whats happening in the beta. and the seven day extension, not that i have a problem with it, tells me that theyre basically saying that the first week was beta 4.5 so it wont count towards your subscription.

also, release the prepaid cards already. cant announce you'll have them and then just completely ignore them.
John
N4Life
N4Life

John, the point I was making, and would still make, is that for once in a very, very long time, someone in charge of something actually put up their hand and not only recognized the issues, but also accepted the blame and conceded their own errors. How many people do that today? Almost every other circumstance I can think of where contrition would be appropriate, the people concerned came up with some weasel worded excuse and blamed all sorts of things, but never took the blame them self. That's why I think Yoshida-san is a stand up guy and deserves respect.

Mistakes are inevitable on large projects, especially ones concerning computer software, to say otherwise is to fool oneself. So often though, the culture of fear that permeates corporations and commerce takes over and people are utterly unwilling to p0ut their hand up and accept fault and blame. That's what makes this unusual, instead of going along with the blame and fear culture that is so common, Yoshi-p acted in a way that you *want* people to act. He recognized the errors and flaws and is addressing them as well as accepting blame and let's not forget the compensation.

Did the launch go perfectly? Nope, but given what happened, what more do you want than the game's producer to stand up, take the blame apologize and explain what they are doing to fix things? Compensation? Sure, they did that as well. So what more?

Side note: In all the reading I've done I've found out some interesting things. During Beta phase 4, they encountered the error 90000/3012 issue that affected thousands of players, but were able to determine the cause and develop a fix for that specific cause. The same error codes still occur, though not so frequently, the error codes are general enough for there to be multiple causes, and the original issue during beta phase 4 was actually resolved.
Japanese servers were no different, they were simply nothing like as over-crowded as the ones in NA/EU and errors were occurring, just not as frequently. The JPN data center & servers have been updated and changed to match the NA/EU data center/server software and configurations.
Physical pre-orders were accounted for in the numbers that they used to plan the data center size for launch, but late digital pre-sales - and players pre-ordering (and then cancelling) to gain early Access as a 'free trial' caused over-crowding issues because there was a rush of sales after beta phase 4.
Early Access commenced on August 24th, and their servers were all but crushed under the load, the 1017 error became a very familiar sight.
On August 25th, SE took the decision to expand their data centers for the game, and started the process of acquiring new hardware.
The game launched on August 27th, the new hardware and data center expansion was not yet in place - nor could it have been, there simply wasn't time. Consequently the servers basically collapsed under the load and SE had to manually throttle logins, suspend character creation and suspend digital sales to buy time for the new server infrastructure to be installed.
The new servers went in as planned on September 3rd/4th and things have been considerably better since then i9n all regards.

One thing that I hope SE and other publishers are taking note of is the way in which not only digital sales, but also the digital supply of early access codes resulted in a spike in demand that was unsustainable. Because the Early Access codes could be obtained very quickly through multiple methods, the planning based on physical pre-orders (and perhaps even early digital pre-orders) was made completely invalid by the rush of additional Early Access users. All publishers need a better way to handle this so that early access does not become a millstone around their neck.

If SE created the server capacity to cater for everyone with an early Access Code, it's potentially possible that they would have had to build a server infrastructure 2-3 times what they have, which would have been a false and wasted investment when so many of the early access users proved to be people with a code who were not following through with a subscription or even purchase. That would be a major problem for SE, and any publisher. with a server based game like this and subscription fees, if Early Access was tied to a pre-purchase of at least 1 month of subscription it would have weeded out a lot of people who had no intention of playing past the Early Access period, or even the initial 'free' week of play. Hopefully, SE and others will think more carefully about how they handle pre-orders and early access in future, perhaps even think of it from the point of view of how exploitable the process is.

KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

FFXIV Avatar:
FFXIV Class/Race:
FFXIV Free Company:
FFXIV Linkshell:
WKC Avatar:

KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

FFXIV Avatar:
FFXIV Class/Race:
FFXIV Free Company:
FFXIV Linkshell:
WKC Avatar:

Things are a hell of a lot better now than they were a week ago. I don't see this maintenance doing anything to help with the issue on fates, where the target critters will not show up for people, thus not allowing you to get your contribution in, and subsequent award. It's particularly bad in Coerthas and Mor Dhona.
Haggar
Neko Steward
Neko Steward

FFXIV Avatar:
FFXIV Free Company:
WKC Avatar:

That problem is mostly due to server lag and drawing priority. When too many players are in the same fate, the server has a hard time keeping up - which causes lag, and the drawing priority of players/monsters/companions/minions seems to be completely messed up for FATE. The forums are talking about graphics culling like it's the complete answer, it's not. But the order in which things are drawn is important too since you can't target what you can't see.

Both the PS3 and PC engines already have limits in them to sacrifice drawing objects on screen in favor of keeping the framerate above a certain minimum. PS3 in particular has strict limits, so the number of players/enemies onscreen is not causing the PS3 (or PC) client to lag excessively. The order in which things are rendered could be problematic though.

If the servers are made faster, or the process handling a FATE is given more CPU time, things will improve, and if the drawing order for FATE is altered to draw the enemies, player, player party members, other PCs and lastly minions, it should help greatly. I think that they can do those kinds of tweak without a full 2.1 style update, and giving the servers handling zones and FATEs more CPU resource, or reducing the load on them by kicking AFK players, I think will help. Well, I *hope* it will help since all of the above is not much more than educated speculation... ;)

KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

FFXIV Avatar:
FFXIV Class/Race:
FFXIV Free Company:
FFXIV Linkshell:
WKC Avatar:

Return to General FFXIV Discussion