[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions_content.php on line 678: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4782: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4784: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4785: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4786: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3887)
NekomimisFTW.com • View topic - need info: leveling

need info: leveling

This is the place for Chillin', kicking back and relaxing. Talk about Final Fantasy. Don't make the Toppu Neko mad.
need info: leveling
August 29th, 2013, 4:09 pm

Now that some of you have played for a few days, I'm looking for some information. What level have you achieved, and in how many hours? What are options for gear? Is dungeon gear equal in quality to crafted gear? I'm just looking for a realistic timeframe on how long it takes to level cap. I assumed the beta rewarded more exp than the full game, but it seems like some of you have leveled quite quickly anyway.
"Each friend represents a world in us, a world not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born."
Rhapsody
N4Life
N4Life

FFXIV Avatar:
FFXIV Class/Race:
FFXIV Free Company:
FFXIV Linkshell:

Re: need info: leveling
August 30th, 2013, 5:28 am

So far I've hit levels

15 GLA
31 MNK
33 WAR
15 LNC
14 CNJ
14 FSH

Levels come relatively quickly. Would come even faster if you focus on just one class. I think our resident Zergling Alkor hit 43 yesterday, rather sure he's the one with the speediest levelling around these parts.

As for gear, I can't speak of the crafted gears for Disciple of War and Magic, but the crafted gear for Disciples of Hand and Land apparently compare favorably to their "regular" counterparts. Someone else can likely answer this question better than me since I didn't do much crafting yet.
Dungeon gear still is king in what's available, but since that'll only ever be for Disciples of War and Magic, never Hand and Land, crafting still has its benefits.

Overall the game certainly seems to make sure you level decently enough. There's stuff like an EXP boost for helping someone clear a dungeon for the first time, for example, so they do actively reward you for helping someone with things you wouldn't need yourself.
Lem
WKC Friend
WKC Friend

WKC Avatar:

August 30th, 2013, 10:45 am

I have to agree with Lem on all of this, the leveling comes naturally enough, you can "power level" by running FATES repeatedly. But the story quests keep you busy enough if you are targeting a single class. I'm not sure what to tell you about leveling speed, I'm in the middle of level 24 Gladiator now, this is with my character from beta phase 4 and early access, I have done minimal leveling of Archer and Conjurer, and Fisher and joined the Lancer guild, nothing else. Granted I don't play as much as many others can because of time constraints, but I am finding that with a 'normal' playing schedule, the game is neither excessively easy nor excessively quick to level. I like that very much, although falling behind everyone else so quickly is a little frustrating to me, but that's only natural given the differences in available playing time.

So my current levels are;

GLD 24
ARC 7
CNJ 7
LNC 0/1
FSH 4

The gear situation for me is that for weapons and battle gear, the loot I am finding is better than anything I can buy, I don't know about crafting as I am not sufficient level in anything to do anything useful, and haven't delved into the HS crafted gear or the impact of melded gear yet. The developers say that HQ crafted gear with materia should be the best available at any given level, but I have yet to see. Certainly ordinary quality gear without materia is not as good as any of the loot gear at the same level.

Realistically I think it will be 2-3 weeks more before I get close to Gladiator lvl 50, and I have no idea how long it will take on the other classes. There is a mechanism called armory bonus which boosts the XP gained for other classes when leveling them if you have a higher level in your 'primary' class. I'm not sure how much that boost is though. If it takes me the better part of a month to cap Gladiator at 50, I can see that it will be a long, long time before I cap all the classes/jobs and crafting/gathering classes as well.

Not sure if that answers your question, I guess from my point of view, this game is not an easy speed run affair like some feared it would be. Like Lem says, Alkor has already reached quite high levels, though he probably has more time than most of us, and is quite probably better focused than most of us on the task of leveling. That's a good thing though, someone has to be first, and his experience will guide the rest of us. :)

KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

FFXIV Avatar:
FFXIV Class/Race:
FFXIV Free Company:
FFXIV Linkshell:
WKC Avatar:

August 30th, 2013, 1:06 pm

That seems quite fast, considering it sounds like you're not even *trying* to level fast, but are just going through the story. Does the speed per level stay the same, or does every level take longer than the one before it?

EDIT: Actually, getting my DRG to level 50 (cap at launch) was fairly fast as well in FFXI, just 50-75 (cap at the time I started) took a lot longer. And I was in school, so I probably played more than Kos does now, but less than Alkor. So yea, sounds 'bout right in comparison.
Ronneroo
Neko friend
Neko friend

FFXIV Avatar:
FFXIV Class/Race:
FFXIV Free Company:
WKC Avatar:

August 30th, 2013, 3:00 pm

Leveling slows down unless you focus on high XP FATES. I mean I got Archer and CNJ to level 7 in the space of about 90 minutes between them. but it's taken what is effectively weeks to get my GLD to 24.

KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

FFXIV Avatar:
FFXIV Class/Race:
FFXIV Free Company:
FFXIV Linkshell:
WKC Avatar:

August 30th, 2013, 4:04 pm

Yeah, all of these responses help. WKC, for example, took what felt like forever to level (or maybe guild rank is the more appropriate comparison). It took me months to hit GR30. In Guild Wars 2, I can level cap (80) in a month of casual leveling, or a week of aggressively going for levels. I guess I'm trying to figure out if I can play casually, yet catch up to others/get geared in a decent amount of time. I have to believe that wkc was quite unusual in regards to the excessive grinding for levels, gr, and gear, GW2 may be the polar opposite with it being extremely easy to level and get the highest tier gear, and FF most likely falls somewhere in the middle :evil:

That, and I really really like having alt characters, so I probably would not level up all classes on a single character unless there is a benefit to doing so.
"Each friend represents a world in us, a world not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born."
Rhapsody
N4Life
N4Life

FFXIV Avatar:
FFXIV Class/Race:
FFXIV Free Company:
FFXIV Linkshell:

August 30th, 2013, 6:34 pm

Depends on the time you have. As mentioned, you get an XP bonus till your class reaches the level of the primary class in that category. For example, 50% boost to other DoH categories underneath your highest DoH class, 50% for others underneath your highest DoL. Don't know if you get 50% if your highest is a DoM and you're using a Dow. They're both comabt categories but I'm not sure on that so someone can clarify on that. Therefore having split characters would lose the bonus and thus take more time. Of course you can start out with one and see how things go and see how much progress you can make. Another disadvantage is that each character would have to run through the story. I personally find it to be just a lot of go here, now go there with lots of backtracking and fetch me this please. You'll be able to see how this goes for you. If you're on the fence, the game isn't too highly priced and the first month is free. i think the content is satisfactory enough for the price though I admit, the game has many shortcomings in my opinion. Just to mention, exp for regular enemy kills is abyssmal after a certain point. i don't even bother with them unless it's for a quest.

If you don't play as often, you can benefit from a sanctuary bonus. This increases the more you stay in there so when you're not playing, you'll keep getting a bonus 50% for enemy kills (probably better for dungeons where enemies are worth more) and crafting. i don't know if there's a cap on this. This scales with the current level though. For example, let's say it'll be a 50% bonus until you get about a level and a half. This means Lvl 1 to 2.5 or level 15 to 16.5. Basically it's more beneficial to higher level classes so just don't use it on very low level classes that will be easy to level. You also get leves granted by real time. I think it's 3 every 12 hours. So those will build up and you can abuse easy ones over and over for quick exp. Also, don't know if you can get one of the special hats that grant a 20% bonus to classes up to level 10. Does speed it up but hardly difficult to hit lvl 10 so nothing to worry about there. Shame those hats are capped, pun not intented. it won't be anywhere near the same as high playing time but will help you out.
Linelie
Mercenary
Mercenary

WKC Avatar:

August 30th, 2013, 7:56 pm

Rhaps, you can :kawaii:
Everyone says it's quick to level up, but it's only for the first class thanks to the story/side quests you can't repeat. If you play casually, you can level up the class you want to use in fights and just play like that. Once you have it, you can join any dungeon without any problem.
What takes a really long time is leveling up multiple classes, but it's not something you must do to enjoy the game.
Lem said I'm the highest level one, but I only have one class over level 23, she's actually higher than me :P
Alkor
Banned
Banned

FFXIV Avatar:

August 30th, 2013, 9:45 pm

I'll give you the simplest answer of all :p

If you focus on 1 class through the story, it's easy to level up. You don't HAVE to level up subs if you don't want to.

I just say join us and play at your pace. It won't be hard to get help with dungeons as you progress. People will be glad to help you out as they'll like to use dungeons to level up alternate classes (or in my case, all classes). Play at your own pace and I'm sure where group play is required folks will be glad to help you out. Don't think of this as a rat race.
Haggar
Neko Steward
Neko Steward

FFXIV Avatar:
FFXIV Free Company:
WKC Avatar:

August 31st, 2013, 5:30 pm

Leveling without story quest isnt that hard. Im still at some lvl 23 main story quest and im already lvl 30 . Made it from 28 to 30 yesterday in like 4 hours, just doing fates and hunting logs.

And i dont think ill ever bother making my own gear when i can get AF gear from the chests that appear in the leve quest.
Senor Musashi
Neko
Neko

FFXIV Avatar:
FFXIV Class/Race:
FFXIV Linkshell:
WKC Avatar:

Return to General FFXIV Discussion