Things not to do in FFXIV.... ;)

This is the place for Chillin', kicking back and relaxing. Talk about Final Fantasy. Don't make the Toppu Neko mad.
Things not to do in FFXIV.... ;)
July 24th, 2013, 3:02 am

I was browsing the FFXIV beta forums and found an interesting discussion that drifted into the topic of Free companies (Guilds) and communications. Apparently you can only be a 'serious' guild if you use something like Teamspeak, Skype or some other VOIP system to chat while you play. Well, The discussion went back and forth and the gist was that the really 'serious' players could not understand why people would not use Team Speak or some other similar system, and everyone else felt that USB keyboards are fine. This all started as a discussion about whether Free Companies that use applications for new members are a good idea. Some thought that was taking things too seriously, and the rest was topic drift... until these links were posted.

Now, before you watch these, be aware that they are uncensored and the WoW video is full of f-bombs - loud f-bombs, so you may wish to adjust your volume, and/or use headphones - especially if you are at work; actually if you are at work, wait until you get home to watch them.... Anyway, you have been warned about the content...

This is what happens when guilds are too serious (both are hilarious to listen to, the first is just laugh out loud funny, almost as good as the time South Park took on World of Warcraft). Please note that the NekomimisFTW! will NEVER be like either of these examples;

- Serious PvE (WoW)

- Serious PvP (GW2)

As I said, the NekomimisFTW! will NEVER be like either of these, and honestly if anyone has a problem with that, I can't help them.

P.S. I added a new BBCode. The Youtube BBCode was changed to give a larger window, I added a new one for a smaller window for embedded video. Here is how to use it;
Code: Select all
[ytsm]UYrQMoOBqaI[/ytsm]
Escape reality, live the fantasy! - Louisoix Leveilleur
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

FFXIV Avatar: Kosmos Meishou
FFXIV Class/Race: Miqo'te Gladiator/Conjurer
FFXIV Free Company: Nekomimis FTW!
FFXIV Linkshell: Nekomimis FTW!
WKC Avatar: KOSMOS

Re: Things not to do in FFXIV.... ;)
July 24th, 2013, 6:17 am

Hey, if it works for the people in the videos, that's great for them. That said, if I ever do that someone just shoot me. Luckily I don't intend on using a mic anyhow, so not an issue.

If "hardcore" players necessitate use of a mic to consider you one of the "elite group of good players", I'll happily live outside of that.

Anyone that played WKC with me knows I care about the technical aspects and playing as good as I possibly can. But what those people were doing in those 2 videos is going waaaaaay way too far in my opinion.

Not using a mic also has the benefit of when people do piss me off they can't hear me cussing them out =D If I used a mic constantly I'd probably have fewer friends.
Lem
WKC Friend
WKC Friend

WKC Avatar: Lem/Meena

July 24th, 2013, 6:41 am

I just watched 2 minutes of the GW2 video, I can't stand more than that. It's just annoying to have someone always telling you what to do, and I don't even understand half of what he's saying. I'm pretty sure he's repeating the same things over and over for the 40 minutes of the videos, I think his teammates know what to do after two fights :lol:.

I think giving a rough strategy before the fight is enough, people have a brain to adapt to the situation if it's needed. For now, bosses in FF14 didn't need more than 2 or 3 instructions to give out the required behavior to beat them, later bosses will become more complicated but I don't think they'll need someone constantly nagging you to beat them (quite the opposite).

Now, in PVP it might (or not) be useful since humans can use more advanced strategies than in PVE, but this kind of content isn't available for testing yet.
Alkor
Banned
Banned

FFXIV Avatar: Alicia Searrs

July 24th, 2013, 8:00 am

Alkor wrote:I think giving a rough strategy before the fight is enough, people have a brain to adapt to the situation if it's needed

I thought this was the case in my WKC days... very quickly learned how far from the truth this really is...

I'll enjoy these vids at home this evening. Audio is not an option at all at work anyway.
Haggar
Neko Steward
Neko Steward

FFXIV Avatar: Haggar Drinksalott
WKC Avatar: Haggar/Bertha

July 24th, 2013, 8:11 am

thats the most annoying thing about an elitist commander in gw2 wvwvw mode. 'Get on teamspeak' -_-

this drove me insane and actually led me to leading a small zerg around the battlegrounds to try get my map completion lol. nothing funnier than a group of 7 randoms following me around the map trying to cap the enemy towers XD
but i use teamspeak for that and some commanders are good with it, while others are crying on mapabout 'why are you not on ts??' and when you DO go onto it. he says NOTHING!!! >:(
its also handy for fractal runs, dungeon runs and guild bountys :D

but from what ive seen, in order to make your own ts channel you rent a server off a company thats hosting it. as for what the charges are im not too sure.

Heres the link to the Teamspeak site for any info. it can be useful and handy for a tank, but you also need everybody esle on it to communicate lol.

EDIT: just watch the vid and OMFG hes a terrible leader >.< RARELY does any1 lead like that. they give clearer instructions and normally have a much larger group. a small group like that though theres no need to call and orders as im sure they know the routine lol.
Diord Fionn: Glaine ár gcroí, Neart ár ngéag, Beart de réir ár mbriathar
Truth in our hearts. Strength in our hands. Consistency in our tongues.

Berformet
N4Life
N4Life

WKC Avatar: Shannon (and 7 others)

July 24th, 2013, 11:39 am

lol, agreed all... The guy in GW2 is a horrible, horrible, horrible leader, he treats the other players as if they were simply extensions of his own game and barks orders faster than an auctioneer. The guy in the WoW video is just as bad - IMHO simply because he can't say three words without F-ing once or twice, I mean it's honestly like 2 out of every 5 words is F-something. I would not stand for either of these kinds of people in any circumstance, I found both to be simply self centered and abusive.

I agree about setting a strategy before hand Alkor, and although Haggar is right it's not always enough. Sometimes there are good reasons for that, and sometimes not. As with all things if there are players that willfully ignore team strategy, it will not take long for them to find themselves out of the look as far as party invitations go. Though I would hope that unless we're talking about some kind of end-game content, we'll all be reasonably relaxed about things instead of stressing ourselves and others.

But the guys in these videos seem to be really uptight about it all, they do not seem to be able to tolerate players who a) do not follow their instructions to the letter, and b) cannot read their mind when things change. The one in the WoW video sounded like he might have an aneurism of some kind, and the bloke in the GW2 one sounded like he'd created bad hernia at one point...too much stress.

I won't use a mic either Lem. Although I usually shy away from the more role playing aspect of playing a game like this - I try to be me, not KOS-MOS - it utterly ruins the suspension of reality to hear my deeper, male voice associated with Kos, it just doesn't work for me at all...lol. So y'all will have to deal with text when it comes to Kos.

What I could not understand about either of the videos is this; if these are groups of players who play together regularly, they already know what each others' strengths and weaknesses are, and what their tendencies are in battle. It should take no more than a few strategy tips at the start, and maybe a couple of adjustments in-battle to keep things running smoothly since everyone knows their place in battle and what they are supposed to do.
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

July 24th, 2013, 7:10 pm

the first one was funny, the 2nd one I got the point by 2 min, and it's quite annoying.
Haggar
Neko Steward
Neko Steward

FFXIV Avatar: Haggar Drinksalott
WKC Avatar: Haggar/Bertha

July 24th, 2013, 7:48 pm

i play alot of bf3 and have played some call of duty. theres a reason why i dont like team speak. i dont want to hear guy trying to hit on a girl they found online, i dont like listening to some idiot using their mics to play music the whole game, i dont like some hearing some little kid trying to act like a big shot all because he is anonymous on the internet, and i dont really want to hear pointless conversations when a game requires teamwork. i wont bother turning on team speak unless i have no choice because i have a full squad and a friend cant join. call me jaded but thats what happened when i made a mistake in playing call of duty 4 on xbox. kinda made me happy that ps3 was so damn expensive at launch and no standard mic. at least for a while i didnt have to deal with them.

for a few funny videos search battlefield friends team speak on youtube. might be a few f bombs here and there but theyre funny.

mute button, simple but life saving :lol:
John
N4Life
N4Life

July 24th, 2013, 11:01 pm

Haggar wrote:the first one was funny, the 2nd one I got the point by 2 min, and it's quite annoying.

LOL, very true, though I admit to watching the second one for more than two minutes, party in disbelief and partly because I could not quite decide if the guy was from Northern England or speaking Hindi.
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

July 26th, 2013, 7:08 pm

John wrote:i dont want to hear guy trying to hit on a girl they found online, i dont like listening to some idiot using their mics to play music the whole game, i dont like some hearing some little kid trying to act like a big shot all because he is anonymous on the internet, and i dont really want to hear pointless conversations when a game requires teamwork.

I agree with these Ive played plenty of Call of Duty and this are very annoying. However I like having mics for speaking with my friends and team mates this helps in team coordination. I play ACV (armored core 5) and mics are pretty much needed for a good team to call out when need assistance or to call out an enemy from behind or what ever else. I'm terrible at typing on ps3 so ill be mostly quiet and typing in mid dung is a pain for me not to mention cant type in fight :sad: . Id like it if could use mics in at least team since not really interested what random ppl saying lol . At least me and my bro have ps3s one beside other so we have no problems with great teamwork :lol:

But from what I have seen in FFXIV ppls roles are pretty simple so mics not really a must. Still would like to tell ppl that don't know what they are doing what to do. Like heal me I'm the tank don't ditch me or attack monster I'm hitting so u don't get attacked. In Infrit fight wished could tell em to attack the pillar he summons to stop instant kill, died twice since they would ignore it :TBenough:
DarkZeru
Neko
Neko

FFXIV Avatar: Cheshire Cat
FFXIV Class/Race: PLD/Miqo'te
WKC Avatar: Zeru

July 27th, 2013, 1:22 am

LOL, for fighting the Ifrit with randoms you need to build a macro to send "KILL THE FETTER" on the Party channel.... ;)
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

July 27th, 2013, 9:55 am

KOSMOS wrote:LOL, for fighting the Ifrit with randoms you need to build a macro to send "KILL THE FETTER" on the Party channel.... ;)

lol yea pretty much, just I expect ppl to follow the tank since id switch from Infrit to pillar you'd think they'd follow.
DarkZeru
Neko
Neko

FFXIV Avatar: Cheshire Cat
FFXIV Class/Race: PLD/Miqo'te
WKC Avatar: Zeru

July 27th, 2013, 10:46 pm

You'd think that, but a lot of the random players I met did not seem to get that basic mechanic. LOL. I only got to run the Ifrit a small number of times, once with Randoms where no one knew to kill the fetter and we wiped. Then the other times it was with some Nekos, and we figured it out, I helped the Ifrit the whole time and the DDs switched to the Fetter when it arrived. Hina healed everyone awesomely a.nd after a couple of attempts we got our strategy right and it was done.
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

Return to General FFXIV Discussion