lessons learned

This is the place for Chillin', kicking back and relaxing. Talk about Final Fantasy. Don't make the Toppu Neko mad.
lessons learned
July 1st, 2013, 7:08 am

From my 1 weekend of play, but certainly got a good chunk of time in, probably 16 hrs or so...

Definitely take a moment to color-code your chat options. I made everything "general" chat the same color, then coded the linkshells, free company, party, and tells. What I couldn't find was an ability to change the size of the chat window. I hope an option is there or will be there, I'd like the window to be a bit wider so a bit more can be seen. Ultimately I ended up filtering out all general chat as nothing useful was coming from that anyway. It was full of people pretending to be government employees or something, throwing around nothing but acronyms.

The interface is a bit clunky for sending a pm to somebody, but unlike WKC we've got a nice /tell keyboard shortcut, which leads to lesson 2: short and/or simple names. I wanted to change my last name within 5 minutes of starting play because of this. Given every display I've seen shows both first and last name, next go Haggar will likely be the last name and probably some title will be the first name. I wish the last name allowed spaces or a capital letter somewhere within...

This probably only applies to general field mobs prior to level 15, but don't start attacking a mob that somebody else is already fighting. Odds are they are doing a quest to kill x-number of some critter, and if you step on somebody's kill they may not get credit for it. I haven't determined the rule for getting credit as sometimes I did and sometimes I didn't get credit for a kill when somebody else interfered. Maybe it's a percentage of damage done or something along those likes.

If you have conjurer abilities and want to utilize them while using another class, definitely build a gearset for your conjurer and your alternate class, for quick and easy switching (to raise somebody for example). I ran into an instance where I wanted to raise somebody as they weren't returning to their homepoint, so I put on a staff, but ended up almost naked as a result, right as some enemy spawned next to me and started attacking. Thankfully somebody else beat down the enemy for me, so I was then able to raise the fallen person.

I didn't make it to party playing scenarios, I'm interested in hearing any lessons learned from that style of play.
Haggar
Neko Steward
Neko Steward

FFXIV Avatar: Haggar Drinksalott
FFXIV Free Company: Nekomimis FTW!
WKC Avatar: Haggar/Bertha

Re: lessons learned
July 1st, 2013, 7:14 am

With mobs: whoever attacks first gets the credit. If you're in a party, and you have to kill X number of something, it counts your party-mates' kills toward your quest (even if you don't attack the creature). So you won't do any harm killing someone else's purple-highlighted enemy. I've always gotten credit for enemies that I attack first. If they're yours, they're red.

At a certain point, saving gear sets becomes an option. You can save a weapon and armor set as one gear set, so you can quickly switch with no.... adverse effects ;).... Or is that what you were saying at the end?
"Each friend represents a world in us, a world not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born."
Rhapsody
N4Life
N4Life

FFXIV Avatar: Gemma Shahrizai
FFXIV Class/Race: THM/Hyur
FFXIV Free Company: Last Order (Test)
FFXIV Linkshell: Nekomimis FTW

July 1st, 2013, 7:36 am

Rhapsody wrote:At a certain point, saving gear sets becomes an option. You can save a weapon and armor set as one gear set, so you can quickly switch with no.... adverse effects ;).... Or is that what you were saying at the end?

That's what I was saying in the end
Haggar
Neko Steward
Neko Steward

July 1st, 2013, 9:15 am

While it is impossible to steal credit for a kill from someone that already initiated battle, there was one example I can think of where someone interfering might've been an issue.

It was a Pugilist quest to hit X enemies with Snap Punch (which is an ability that can only happen in Coeurl form, to reach which you need to have gone through Raptor form). The sequence for this was Bootshine->True Strike->Snap Punch. So if someone kills your stuff, can't land the move on them.
But that's the only example I can think of where it might be a nuisance, so generally, I'd say assist away. I like doing the "Stealth Heals" approach as well. Heal them from a distance and then just move on.

Far as I know there are now low health shenanigans in this game... would be nice to not have people hate on you for healing them in this one.

What I've learned about group play is... well the same we all know from WKC already. Communication. Ideally the Tank (which is near essential to have) should learn to use the Signs, marking enemies for the group so everyone else knows what to attack.

I've also learned to use the Limit Break feature wisely. Learned that during the bossfight of Maws of Toto-Rak. For those that did it, know how his tail becomes a separate enemy after a while and starts spewing poison all over? A level 2 Limit Break from a Damage Dealer can instakill it. Was priceless.

And in the general department, I've learned to expect a lot from the bosses in this game. Some very special ideas in there.

Having to lure a blob into enemy bombs and having them explode on it, splitting it into more and more mini blobs until you can finally kill them all? Awesome.
Having a boss create 4 damaging Lanterns in each corner of the arena that need to be switched off, which a smart party can do by having one person each taking care of one, negating nearly all damage from the move? Awesome.

Really really loving the game.

EDIT for chat box clarification.

There IS a way to widen the box, somewhat tricky but here goes. Press start, from there, I think it's hold L1 and press R3, this switches to Mouse mode. In mouse mode, hover your mouse and left click (L2) on the chat box triangle in the upper right corner and drag it wider like you would on PC. then just L1 and R3 again to exit Mouse mode.

Not sure I remember the actual commands for it correctly, it does label it on the start menu so you'll figure it out.
Lem
WKC Friend
WKC Friend

WKC Avatar: Lem/Meena

July 1st, 2013, 11:31 am

Haggar wrote:Given every display I've seen shows both first and last name, next go Haggar will likely be the last name and probably some title will be the first name. I wish the last name allowed spaces or a capital letter somewhere within...

The option to display only the first name will be active before release, I don't think you'll like being called Lord, Mister or whatever other title you chose by people who disabled the last name.

Haggar wrote:This probably only applies to general field mobs prior to level 15, but don't start attacking a mob that somebody else is already fighting. Odds are they are doing a quest to kill x-number of some critter, and if you step on somebody's kill they may not get credit for it. I haven't determined the rule for getting credit as sometimes I did and sometimes I didn't get credit for a kill when somebody else interfered. Maybe it's a percentage of damage done or something along those likes.

There are 4 colors for the names of monsters :
Yellow : Passive monsters, they're just roaming around.
Orange : Monsters attacking someone without anyone attacking them.
Red : Attacking monsters you or someone from your team attacked first.
Purple : Attacking monsters attacked by another player not in your team.
Red monsters will give you full xp and drops no matter who attacks them after you landed the first strike.
Purple monsters will only give xp if you deal enough damage (around 20%) to them but won't drop anything for you.
You can find this in the Manual (link on the game launcher)

Haggar wrote:If you have conjurer abilities and want to utilize them while using another class, definitely build a gearset for your conjurer and your alternate class, for quick and easy switching (to raise somebody for example). I ran into an instance where I wanted to raise somebody as they weren't returning to their homepoint, so I put on a staff, but ended up almost naked as a result, right as some enemy spawned next to me and started attacking. Thankfully somebody else beat down the enemy for me, so I was then able to raise the fallen person.

Just equip the skill on another class able to use it, no need to switch gear for that. I can cast Cure or Protect easily while using PGL thanks to that. Also, buffs are removed when you switch class, so doing it like that is the only way to cast Protect on yourself with another class than CNJ.
Not every skill can be used by other classes, but getting skills from other classes can make you far more versatile in fights.
Alkor
Banned
Banned

FFXIV Avatar: Alicia Searrs

July 1st, 2013, 12:01 pm

Alkor wrote:The option to display only the first name will be active before release, I don't think you'll like being called Lord, Mister or whatever other title you chose by people who disabled the last name.

Thanks for the heads up. Haggar for first name and some simple last name it will be!

Alkor wrote:Just equip the skill on another class able to use it, no need to switch gear for that. I can cast Cure or Protect easily while using PGL thanks to that. Also, buffs are removed when you switch class, so doing it like that is the only way to cast Protect on yourself with another class than CNJ.
Not every skill can be used by other classes, but getting skills from other classes can make you far more versatile in fights.

Fully aware... but given my bow was level 8 and couldn't have raise added to the command set yet, I kinda had to switch class to raise somebody :p
Haggar
Neko Steward
Neko Steward

July 1st, 2013, 1:36 pm

Rhapsody wrote:With mobs: whoever attacks first gets the credit.

Well from what i noticed id actually get credit for monsters other ppl fight as long as i hit em at least twice. Would run over to purple health monsters hit twice and go to next for doing quests faster :p
DarkZeru
Neko
Neko

FFXIV Avatar: Cheshire Cat
FFXIV Class/Race: PLD/Miqo'te
WKC Avatar: Zeru

Return to General FFXIV Discussion