forum organization discussion

News about the NekomimisFTW.com forum, website & Facebook page.
forum organization discussion
November 4th, 2013, 9:32 am

Kos, maybe you've received a message. But, I wanted to put this one on the table for everybody to chime in on. We all see things differently after all.

I was told by someone in game (and this someone alleges that at least 1 other feels the same way) that it's difficult to find anything on this forum and that's why they aren't using it.

Personally I don't see what they're saying. Most posts have subjects that do a good job of letting you know what's inside. Granted some posts have good info but you never know it due to threadjacking or threaddrifting. I really didn't know what to say when this was brought up to me, but to send Kos a message and offer suggestions.

But really, what can be done differently? I'm not seeing it. What do others see?
Haggar
Neko Steward
Neko Steward

FFXIV Avatar: Haggar Drinksalott
FFXIV Free Company: Nekomimis FTW!
WKC Avatar: Haggar/Bertha

Re: forum organization discussion
November 4th, 2013, 11:41 am

I'm not sure what can be done differently either to be honest. We're always open to suggestions to improve things, so if people are finding something difficult on the forum, rather than simply not visiting, all they need do is message me or Hina, or start a topic to discuss it.

I did a small amount of restructuring to bring the FFXIV related posts closer to the top of the main page, and moved the WKC community stuff into the Neko Community section. The technical help forum was merged with the game help, so now we have a "game / technical help" discussion forum in the main FFXIV area.

OK, actually a bit more of a reorg than I thought....lol. I added a section for the discussion of end-game teams, and move the coil team topics into it.
Escape reality, live the fantasy! - Louisoix Leveilleur
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

FFXIV Avatar: Kosmos Meishou
FFXIV Class/Race: Miqo'te Gladiator/Conjurer
FFXIV Linkshell: Nekomimis FTW!
WKC Avatar: KOSMOS

December 19th, 2013, 6:40 pm

I'll chime in a bit here on this.

First off the new layout is looking better and kodus to all the work you guys have put in Hina, Kos, and Haggar. One issue that I had with the way things where structured was maybe the information was to far spread out over lots of different boards. We have different topics going on all over the place and spaced out. For example we have FFXIV section, then FC secetion below, discussions going on up kind of all over and I have to search to find for what topic was going on where. I'd just suggest that you guys localize all the information into fewer areas and keep things simple and general than so specific. If you are wanting some boards to be hidden from the general public and only seen to guild members, can't you guy sub catagories from public? I'm not sure what options these forums offer though but maybe something like the following:

Neko Rules and Information
- sub forum: Forum Rules
- sub forum: Information

Final Fantasy XIV ARR
- sub forum: General Discussion (open to all)
- sub forum: Crafting corner (open to all)
- sub forum: End Game (open to all)
- sub forum: Photos/viedos (open to all)
- sub forum: Guild Discussion / polls (hidden from public)

WKC thread
- sub forums that are applicable

Also there seems to be a bit of repetitive like information. We have a board called Neko News, then another one General Company News and Announcements. How about just make that just one section. Maybe a main heading of Neko News and Announcements, then the sub categories can be FFIXV and what other games you guys go to as well.

Also the Eorza roll call, I get that we have people that are not in the guild that use the forums too but I think in all no one really knows what this one is. Why just move it into the general discussion with a sticky to store peoples in games names and forum names rather than having it's own sub category.

Another big thing that helped me, was in user settings I could change the forum layout. I'm using Digital now and to me personally it looks a lot better now. I don't think other people know that they can change the display of it, it took me some game down time and playing around with the settings to find this out.

The chat too would be nice if was more visible.

Just some of my two cents. I've found the forums a bit hectic and having to need to search for certian posts. So maybe it's just been too categorized, like trying to dig something out of a computer that is buried in many files.
Anayrie
Neko
Neko

FFXIV Avatar: Anayrie Dellicieux

December 23rd, 2013, 3:52 pm

I can comment on a couple of the things, but Kos understands the forum system better than I do, so he may have to tackle the rest.

We have the FC forum that is for Guild Business. The Company new there is different from Neko news (which is just info about the forum and website). Same with the a couple of the other categories.

But you have good points and after we upgrade the forum software this week, we may get more options and can do new permissions that will allow for a better and easier organization.

The themes are tricky and drive me crazy. Digital is my favorite. But it doesn't work for a lot of people and doesn't work well with the chat module on some devices. It also doesn't upgrade well. I am afraid we might lose it when we upgrade the forum this week and I am sad. I think we have it noted that themes can be changed, but if not - I will be sure to do so. I recall having to fiddle around with it myself to find that feature.

Thanks for your input! Very appreciated!

ℒℴѵℯ, Hina ~ Neko Hime-sama, NekomimisFTW ˚₊✩‧₊(⌯͒o̶̶̷̤ ꀾ o̴̶̷̤⌯͒)* ✩‧₊˚

“Everyone smiles, when they are with you. Please...go and help people in my place. Share your happiness with them." ~ Yui, SAO
Hinagiku
Grand Neko
Grand Neko

FFXIV Avatar: Hinagiku Meishou
FFXIV Class/Race: Miqo'te Healer & Weaver
FFXIV Free Company: NekomimisFTW
FFXIV Linkshell: NekomimisFTW
WKC Avatar: Hinagiku

December 23rd, 2013, 6:47 pm

That is just what I can see really and the changes have made things better for sure. I just think things may be too separated and too specific. At least for now to attract more people I'd say keep it simple and try to focus in on the ffxiv one.
Anayrie
Neko
Neko

December 24th, 2013, 2:10 pm

Well this was all kind of like a "first draft" of how to split up things before we do the software upgrade and then see what all we are able to do. So stay tuned and hopefully things will be even more organized :D. Woot!

“Everyone smiles, when they are with you. Please...go and help people in my place. Share your happiness with them." ~ Yui, SAO
Hinagiku
Grand Neko
Grand Neko

December 27th, 2013, 9:35 pm

Updated with several organizational changes. Digital theme still works and I am working on some new graphics.

Hinagiku
Grand Neko
Grand Neko

December 28th, 2013, 1:12 am

Thank you Hina, I know this has been a lot of work today.

:hkclap: :hkclap:
Escape reality, live the fantasy! - Louisoix Leveilleur
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

FFXIV Avatar: Kosmos Meishou
FFXIV Class/Race: Miqo'te Gladiator/Conjurer
FFXIV Linkshell: Nekomimis FTW!
WKC Avatar: KOSMOS

December 28th, 2013, 3:50 am

Thanks. We also have a new theme that is swish and clean, but it does not support the chat. If you don't use chat, check out the PRIME theme under user control panel, board preferences. If you like chat and want a change, DIGITAL still supports it.

Hinagiku
Grand Neko
Grand Neko

December 28th, 2013, 3:05 pm

Oh, I like prime. To bad it doesn't support the chat though :(
Anayrie
Neko
Neko

December 28th, 2013, 4:59 pm

It might in time, but that module has to be manually coded. I don't touch the chat. :P

Hinagiku
Grand Neko
Grand Neko

Return to NekomimisFTW (forum) News