Debate: Tanking vs Support class - does the divide really exist?

This is the place for Chillin', kicking back and relaxing. General chat from WKC. Play nice.

Sapphire wrote:hmmm.... i don't think there is a divide, because if done properly, any class can Tank or be Support. i personally prefer being Support, not a big fan of Tanking.

And to add more to your argument, Tanking can technically be Supporting your team, because then you can deal out a lot of damage and take little in return, taking the spotlight while the other people on your team obliterate the enemy from behind.. With Spear, you don't have to try to Support to do both, because you're Supporting while you're Tanking anyways (Which is one of the benefits of being a Spear user) On a related note, here's something to know about Tanking and SUpporting for each class;

Sword / Shield: Easy to Tank and Support

Longsword: See Bow for instructions on how to Tank with the LS.

Axe: Easy to Tank if Supported by a Spear user (See Spear)

Spear: Both at once, and really easy to do.

Magic: Incredibly hard to Tank with because you have little defense, but is the easiest to use for Support

Bow: No. Just no. Support is fine, but tanking is near impossible.

So technically there isn't much of a divide for most classes. Others like LS, Bow, and Magic are Support / Tanking only, though. However, if you have a Spear user in your party, things can change a lot. In other words, go Spear!
XD
My Realm of the Mad God main account:

aljotron
Neko
Neko

FFXIV Avatar: Aljotron Thedude
FFXIV Class/Race: Mi'qote Warrior
FFXIV Free Company: NekomimisFTW
WKC Avatar: aljotron

very good point there aljo, but im probably undefinable in that sense, because my combat style is a combination of destructive Longsword attacks and powerful Magics.
Iron Courage. need I say more?
Sapphire
Neko
Neko

FFXIV Avatar: Sapphire Harushii
FFXIV Class/Race: Miqo'te Jack-of-all-trades in training
FFXIV Free Company: NekomimisFTW!
WKC Avatar: Sapphire

Sapphire wrote:very good point there aljo, but im probably undefinable in that sense, because my combat style is a combination of destructive Longsword attacks and powerful Magics.

I guess that the combat style you use could be a form of Tanking, because tanks usually have high defense / strength and can usually kill the enemy in a few hits while not taking much damage themselves.
My Realm of the Mad God main account:

aljotron
Neko
Neko

FFXIV Avatar: Aljotron Thedude
FFXIV Class/Race: Mi'qote Warrior
FFXIV Free Company: NekomimisFTW
WKC Avatar: aljotron

Previous

Return to General Discussion