tricks of the trade

Need help understanding something? Can't find out how to get Rainbow Canon? Ask your game related questions here, and answer the questions that you can. Help each other out.
tricks of the trade
March 12th, 2013, 12:43 pm

Post 'em if you have 'em ... not necessarily tricks, but ways to deal with situations more quickly and efficiently, miscellaneous tips, etc. I'll post 2 here.

Wraith Invisibility

When a battle with a wraith drags on long enough, a wraith will enter invisibility mode. There is a short animation, and a message appears in the log. What many people don't realize is the wraith is invincible during this time. Spamming holy light or fire spells will not do anything. Instead, everybody should take this time to recover and buff/debuff as needed. If the wraith charges up his attack, that is time to unleash your strongest attacks and spells (holy light is not needed). If enough damage is done, invisibility will break. Sometimes he will not do his strong attack, but you may notice the same little sound and animation that he did when he went invisible, with no log message. That means he came out of invisibility.

In terms of breaking his attack, naturally an ark can just turn break him, but without an ark it generally takes about 5k dmg to break the fmq wraiths, 8-10k to break a wraith in a gr26 quest, and around 25k to break abaddon in fmq.

Opening duke/general gigas

I think we all know the basic idea, but if you don't: When it looks like they are charging up an attack, you will see a bluish glow on one of the 4 eyes at random. Striking that eye will do damage to him, and break his attack. When he loses around 20% of his health, he "opens up" to a regular gigas-type enemy. There is very little danger when they are in their closed-up "turkey" appearance, but still why drag out this part of the fight when you don't have to? Based on your party, there are very efficient means to getting this part over with. Everything below assumes a party of equal level... of course a GR30 axe would be more effective than a GR20 mage, so just assume that all are at an equal level with the info below.

The hierarchy of damage that can be dealt to the glowing eyes, from strongest to weakest, is
mage (but, a well developed gr24 mage could overpower well developed gr30 axe/ls)
axe/ls
spear/ss
bow

Also, never cast slow or use anchor blade in this phase. His attacks will never happen anyway, so save this for when he opens up. Based on the members of the party, split up so there are 2 people watching 2 eyes. The ideal situation is having 2 mages. 1 focuses on eyes A and B, and the other on C and D. The basic principle is to have your 2 strongest team members each focus on 2 eyes and the rest of the team just handles appropriate debuff, recovery if needed, or just sit back and watch, ready to strike when he opens up.

In quests with a turkey boss, like JD and STT, 1 person can easily "tank" ... which means do the damage to them and even get them opened up by the time the rest of the team clears the battlefield. As a mage, stand where you can see 3 eyes, with EG ready to go, targeting the eye you can't see. If you see the glow, shift target, otherwise unload. A melee can do something similar, except they need to move to the target. Still, stand where you can see 3 of the eyes.
Haggar
Neko Steward
Neko Steward

FFXIV Avatar: Haggar Drinksalott
FFXIV Free Company: Nekomimis FTW!
WKC Avatar: Haggar/Bertha

Re: tricks of the trade
March 12th, 2013, 12:45 pm

Melee players, make a high damage air combo, if a dragon or similar enemy is charging an attack, execute the air combo on the appropriate head or waist break point to abort the attack and break the enemy...Mages simply need a well executed, boosted tier 4 attack at the right time...or so I have been told. ;)
Escape reality, live the fantasy! - Louisoix Leveilleur
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

FFXIV Avatar: Kosmos Meishou
FFXIV Class/Race: Miqo'te Gladiator/Conjurer
FFXIV Linkshell: Nekomimis FTW!
WKC Avatar: KOSMOS

March 12th, 2013, 12:51 pm

Bertha wrote:The hierarchy of damage that can be dealt to the glowing eyes, from strongest to weakest, is
mage (but, a well developed gr24 mage could overpower well developed gr30 axe/ls)
axe/ls
spear/ss
bow

Ahem...a good SS player can slap the eyes for well over 2K with a furious blade attack, and a good SS player will be faster with turns than Axe or LS, which is handy if the turkey has been hasted, or simply decides to throw out back to back attacks.

So sayeth KOS-MOS - defender of the Sword and shield, heir to the sacred blades of the true King, holder of the bangles of Nereid and...

...Toppu Neko... :cool:
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

March 12th, 2013, 1:03 pm

... and over 2k will be better than a not-so-well developed axe or LS, hence my statement of " Everything below assumes a party of equal level." Attack speed doesn't matter because after the eye is hit, there's a several second animation before he could possibly charge up another attack, so anybody can be ready to attack in time. So, just raw damage applies here:

a mage can EG for around 4k
an axe can deathdriver, or longsword can deadly fang for a little over 3k
spear/ss come next, somewhere in the 2000s
a bow should never attack (not much over 1k at best)... just watch the show until it opens up.

Of course, when they open, everybody unload at full force :D
Haggar
Neko Steward
Neko Steward

March 12th, 2013, 4:59 pm

If someone weaker than me wants to attack the gigas' eyes, I just sit down and save my MP :p.

Anyways- my tip for today: Mages do not need to avoid rooms in vell that restrict elemental magic. Magic boost + holy light on skeletons and shadow soldiers does good damage. For assassins, use a physical staff move (I like double bash). And if you aggro an ark, you can either knight up or just support the rest of the team.. or die if you're alone ;).
"Each friend represents a world in us, a world not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born."
Rhapsody
N4Life
N4Life

FFXIV Avatar: Gemma Shahrizai
FFXIV Class/Race: THM/Hyur
FFXIV Free Company: Last Order (Test)
FFXIV Linkshell: Nekomimis FTW

March 12th, 2013, 5:49 pm

Bertha wrote:... something or other about Sword being weaker than some other class...

:corner:

;)
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

March 17th, 2013, 3:53 am

A couple relating to mages really

- in situations like vell rooms where there are some skeletons/succubi and other enemies, the mage should focus on the skeletons and succubi while everybody else gets the other enemies.

- in general, mages should be the ones to lay down +healing factor because they can cast it quickly, and it costs them almost no MP.
Haggar
Neko Steward
Neko Steward

March 17th, 2013, 3:55 am

In pre-boss buffing, the following order of buffs should be followed

- individuals apply favors and healing breeze to themselves
- +fortify and/or +mana barrier should follow next
- +haste should be applied last, right when somebody goes to intiate the fight.

The reasoning here is the favor is going to be gone on the first attack, so cast that one early. haste should be last as it's the most valuable buff, and you want it to last the longest into the fight.
Haggar
Neko Steward
Neko Steward

March 17th, 2013, 8:00 am

Ranged classes: on dual headed beasts, break the right head first. The reason is melee normally attack the left leg, so when it falls they can break the left head. If ranged break the left head first, everyone is gonna miss the right head break because melee can't reach that one and will attack some other body part when it falls.

Breaking dragons: we can pretty much be guaranteed a tail break, right? So break the tail first. (But attacking the tail enraged it). That's ok, most of us can survive an enraged dragon. The problem is normally with the back break so do that one last and consider it a bonus if you get a break. If you go in this order, you will always get a break. If you go in the other order, you might not.
"Each friend represents a world in us, a world not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born."
Rhapsody
N4Life
N4Life

FFXIV Avatar: Gemma Shahrizai
FFXIV Class/Race: THM/Hyur
FFXIV Free Company: Last Order (Test)
FFXIV Linkshell: Nekomimis FTW

March 17th, 2013, 11:05 am

With dragons, yes. I've missed both breaks because only 1 person aimed for the tail, and as a melee fighter the amount of times you end up hitting a back leg is annoying!
Hope
N4Life
N4Life

WKC Avatar: Clara (Previously Hope)

March 19th, 2013, 5:22 pm

Rhapsody wrote:Breaking dragons: we can pretty much be guaranteed a tail break, right? So break the tail first. (But attacking the tail enraged it). That's ok, most of us can survive an enraged dragon. The problem is normally with the back break so do that one last and consider it a bonus if you get a break. If you go in this order, you will always get a break. If you go in the other order, you might not.

Question about breaking backs - especially dragons - what is the impact of Slow? I noticed the other day that I was able to get 3 hits on the back of a dragon (if I remember correctly) that had been slowed. It seemed to take longer to rise. Normally I'm fortunate to get two hits in. I could be wrong as I wasn't really focusing on that, but it would seem logical that a slowed enemy would take longer to get back up. I just wondered if anyone have definitive information regarding that?
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

March 23rd, 2013, 6:03 pm

KOSMOS wrote:Question about breaking backs - especially dragons - what is the impact of Slow? I noticed the other day that I was able to get 3 hits on the back of a dragon (if I remember correctly) that had been slowed. It seemed to take longer to rise. Normally I'm fortunate to get two hits in. I could be wrong as I wasn't really focusing on that, but it would seem logical that a slowed enemy would take longer to get back up. I just wondered if anyone have definitive information regarding that?

Whilst I don't have definitive information on it it does seem like slowing will slow down the getting back up part.

I DO know, however, that playing online with dragon backbreaking is extremely finicky to begin with. Like, some times if an axe cannonballs for the knockdown and a mage EG's at the same time, the knockdown timer appears to begin when cannonball connects, but the back is only available to melee players as a target after the EG has finished.

I guess the tip here is, use only attacks with short animations to trigger knockdowns, even if it deals less damage.
Lem
WKC Friend
WKC Friend

WKC Avatar: Lem/Meena

April 1st, 2013, 6:56 am

Speaking of dragon back breaking, maybe it's just me but I'm finding a bow attack or a mage's tier 3 or lower single-target spell do the fastest knockdown, where the knockdown timer begins at about the point of impact, and not at the start of an animation.
Haggar
Neko Steward
Neko Steward

April 1st, 2013, 7:09 am

I found that holy light or eclipse gate are bad for the timer... In most circumstances Eclipse Gate means the enemy doesn't even fall. That said deadly fang is terrible for knockdown too and sometimes prevents the knock down.
Hope
N4Life
N4Life

WKC Avatar: Clara (Previously Hope)

Return to Game Help