Solo Party (NPC) Discussion

Need help understanding something? Can't find out how to get Rainbow Canon? Ask your game related questions here, and answer the questions that you can. Help each other out.
Solo Party (NPC) Discussion
March 5th, 2013, 11:08 pm

In able to solo a lot of quests with my story party. I use Eldore as mage and Yulie on bow. Yulie is set to heal first and Eldore to Go All Out. I cannot figure out how to cue them to use divine magic. I press R1 and circle or R1 and square. All this does is make them go all out. Why aren't they using divine magic, as I've been told they should?
"Each friend represents a world in us, a world not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born."
Rhapsody
N4Life
N4Life

FFXIV Avatar: Gemma Shahrizai
FFXIV Class/Race: THM/Hyur
FFXIV Free Company: Last Order (Test)
FFXIV Linkshell: Nekomimis FTW

Re: Solo Party (NPC) Discussion
March 8th, 2013, 7:35 am

Nobody knows? :(
"Each friend represents a world in us, a world not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born."
Rhapsody
N4Life
N4Life

March 8th, 2013, 9:38 am

With my bow I go true solo, with my mage I have both set to bows with the sole intent to feed me MP. If they happen to dark shot, bonus. I only gave them 5 or 6 commands.
Haggar
Neko Steward
Neko Steward

FFXIV Avatar: Haggar Drinksalott
FFXIV Free Company: Nekomimis FTW!
WKC Avatar: Haggar/Bertha

March 8th, 2013, 11:23 am

All I know about the NPCs is;

a) given them only the commands you want them to use
b) hope that the random stupidity generator will guide them to using the skills at an appropriate time
c) set to heal first they will act in a supportive manner, but you'll be the only one damaging anything
d) triggering action from the NPCs is hit and miss, Bows will only replenish mana when it falls below a certain % (might be as low as 5-10%)
e) triggering an NPC action will only cause them to act, sometimes the AI thinks their best option is all-out attack.
f) when set to heal first they seldom go on attack, if there is no obvious healing or MP replenishment to do, a character set to heal first will attempt to use party buffs.
g) NPC mages will use fire against fire based enemies, even if you use the bow skill or an inspectacle to reveal weaknesses and strengths the AI is completely oblivious.
h)R1+circle cues 1 of the two NPCs, R1+square cues the other. You can only cue them to act, there is no specific cue to use divine magic.

Using NPCs for attacking is difficult as they either go all out and burn through their MP like there's no tomorrow, or you set them to be conservative and they use 0mp attacks - even if they are not on their command bars. Yes, the NPCs will use commands not on their command bars. Heal First is the most dependable course of action from them, but you have to remember the limits of their intelligence.
Escape reality, live the fantasy! - Louisoix Leveilleur
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

FFXIV Avatar: Kosmos Meishou
FFXIV Class/Race: Miqo'te Gladiator/Conjurer
FFXIV Linkshell: Nekomimis FTW!
WKC Avatar: KOSMOS

March 8th, 2013, 11:54 am

^My question is about point "e." Alkor was telling me that using R1 and circle/square causes the NPC's to apply fortify,mana barrier, and haste. I've never seen my NPC's use these skills, so I want to know the secret!

The optimum party for me is: a mage set to go all out. Fill their command bar with whatever element you need them to use. They will do good damage no matter what. A bow set to heal first, so they can replenish the mage's mana. Myself, mage, attacking and spirit blessing when needed. If I could get my NPC's to apply buffs, it would be even better to solo quests. As is, I can play a lot of quests with NPC's (but I don't like to because of the amount of time some quests take). It was pretty cool to see Kara and Eldore taking out the dragons in FOD2. Once you understand the limits of your story party, they can do quite a bit for you.
Rhapsody
N4Life
N4Life

March 8th, 2013, 12:23 pm

I have Caesar and Yulie, Yulie is set to heal first, I think I have Caesar set to stay safe. If I cue Caesar he'll either use a divine magic or some low MP attack. It seems like the actions depend on whether you need to be healed, and what is available on their command bar. But I have seen them use commands that are not on their bar, so I don't know how exactly to limit their actions. Certainly only putting certain commands on their bars helps, and the more choices you give them the more difficulty the AI has in selecting. But, I don't know any way of making them use divine if they have other choices available.

Oddly enough, with Caesar set to stay safe, he doesn't heal as often and during combat will randomly fortify the party. I have found that if they are set to heal first and you keep cuing them, they will fortify if there is no heal required.
Escape reality, live the fantasy! - Louisoix Leveilleur
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

FFXIV Avatar: Kosmos Meishou
FFXIV Class/Race: Miqo'te Gladiator/Conjurer
FFXIV Linkshell: Nekomimis FTW!
WKC Avatar: KOSMOS

Return to Game Help