Must have skills per weapon

Need help understanding something? Can't find out how to get Rainbow Canon? Ask your game related questions here, and answer the questions that you can. Help each other out.
Must have skills per weapon
March 4th, 2013, 9:55 am

Each weapon in this game has some extremely useful skills, you should learn and use them for this reason.

Sword :
Arm breaker
Armor breaker
Provoke
Dual wield
The 4 stances

Longsword :
Spirit breaker
Magic breaker
Anchor blade
Adrenaline rush

Axe :
Arm shatter
Armor shatter
Rallying cry
War cry
Last stand
Crowd control

Spear :
Support field
Force field
Threaten
dispirit field
Guardian
Inert field

Bow :
Dark shot
Conceal
Stun tip
Spirit hymn
Hurricane song
Focus
the passives to increase items efficiency

Staff :
Magic boost
Spirit blessing
Phoenix prayer
The passives to decrease casting time

Elemental magic :
The 4 tier 3 and 4 spells on one target
Eclipse gate
Final apocalypse
Elemental lore

Divine magic :
Healing spells up to +heal3
Raise
Fortify, mana barrier, haste (and their + versions if you can)
Fatigue
Slow
Fate's favor
Angel's favor
Divine lore if you have enough SP.

Don't hesitate to say if you have a different opinion about the must have skills in the game ;). Or if I forgot some things, I did that from memory, without checking the skills in each weapon tree. :wall:
Alkor
Banned
Banned

FFXIV Avatar: Alicia Searrs

Re: Must have skills per weapon
March 4th, 2013, 10:23 am

Sword skills:

The 4 stances

^ I would say that not all 4 stances are needed, but at least 3 of them are, let's look at these in detail:

Gaurdian Stance - Def Up, Atk Down
Daredevil Stance - Atk Up, Def Down
Sentinell Stance - Res Up, Mag Down

Those are essential for any sword player. However, I would say the 4th one is optional depending on the build:

Warlock Stance - Mag Up, Res Down

If you are not playing a sword mage, and as a result do not have elemental magic, I would say that this particular stance can be skipped. Yes, Holy Light would be affected, but I wouldn't really say it was a huge benefit for Holy Lighting enemies. I actually saved on skill points by not learning this stance myself.

Also, Twin Blades and Provoke do not work well together. You cannot provoke an enemy if you have wielded Twin Blades. So I adjust my command bar accordingly for those and would add Twin Blades and Twin skills if Provoke is not going to be needed within a quest.
Hope
N4Life
N4Life

WKC Avatar: Clara (Previously Hope)

March 4th, 2013, 11:32 am

Staff:
+Zero Reset, primarily used in Apex when Wizel puts mp drain on several players.
+Liberating Prayer, costs 1ac to cure yourself of silence and poison. Or you could just carry Panacea :p
Nature meld, when used adequately will keep aggro off of you. *I often say, if you've already been hit, it's too late to use it. It removes a little bit of aggro, not a lot.

Bow:
Decoy. As a spear tank, I'm sure Alkor hates this skill. But it is extremely useful if there is no tank and your mages keep getting targeted.
"Each friend represents a world in us, a world not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born."
Rhapsody
N4Life
N4Life

FFXIV Avatar: Gemma Shahrizai
FFXIV Class/Race: THM/Hyur
FFXIV Free Company: Last Order (Test)
FFXIV Linkshell: Nekomimis FTW

March 4th, 2013, 11:49 am

Filling in a couple gaps

Staff
Stealth Magic - prefer this to nature meld, especially when a bow maintains dark shot. You'll dodge many attacks provided you're not doing something silly like wearing a bunch of grimoire pieces

Longsword
Serpent Fang - quick heal when you're in a pinch

Regarding elemental and divine - the min SP paths to spirit lore and divine lore require you to get all the useful active abilities from both. The path to divine lore does not make you get the + versions of healing factor, haste, fority, and mana barrier ... all of which should be learned.
Haggar
Neko Steward
Neko Steward

FFXIV Avatar: Haggar Drinksalott
FFXIV Free Company: Nekomimis FTW!
WKC Avatar: Haggar/Bertha

March 4th, 2013, 11:55 am

For Sword, there is a skill that you've all missed, I think. It's a skill I'd move heaven and earth to get - Mana Leech. There is nothing so useful on the field as being able to replenish your mana regardless of your position with potions and whether there's a bow user or mage around. It's also extremely when a bounty needs to be drained of MP.

I also like to have Twin Charge if you have the skill points - it's only 3 I think. It has one of the more fun animations ion the sword skill set, you run a few steps and then jump about 30 feet to the enemy with a big double slash attack when you get there. It may not be the most efficient attack, but it's great fun.

Also for SS I would say that the spear tree skills required to get the Shield Prowess are almost mandatory for a shield user whether spear or Sword. The enhancements to blocking rates and damage reduction are awesome and make a Sword user far, far tougher to take out - as long as they retain their shield of course.

I agree with Hope that Warlock stance is a complete waste of time if you are not a Sword mage so if you are not casting elemental attacks, cross that skill off the list.

Daredevil stance and Twinblades....remember the relative merits of these.

Daredevil stance gives about a 10% boost in ATK/DMG, but the cost is a 10% reduction of DEF. If you have 900+ DEF, that's 90+ points of DEF you lose. With Twinblades you gain something like 20% boost to ATK/DMG, but give up your shield. For a GR30 player with good gear that will most likely mean no TK shield which is something like 75DEF (including the VIT bonus) and 50 or so RES (including Spirit bonus). That sounds like a lighter DEF penalty compared to daredevil stance, except that by giving up the shield you are hurting your RES and giving up your ability to block with a shield (no shield prowess bonus to blocking rate or dmg reduction, and you can't provoke. I love the look of Twinblades, but I have been considering De-emphasizing it in favor of daredevil to see how it goes.
Escape reality, live the fantasy! - Louisoix Leveilleur
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

FFXIV Avatar: Kosmos Meishou
FFXIV Class/Race: Miqo'te Gladiator/Conjurer
FFXIV Linkshell: Nekomimis FTW!
WKC Avatar: KOSMOS

March 4th, 2013, 2:12 pm

Bertha wrote:Filling in a couple gaps

Staff
Stealth Magic - prefer this to nature meld, especially when a bow maintains dark shot. You'll dodge many attacks provided you're not doing something silly like wearing a bunch of grimoire pieces

I want to point out that Stealth Magic and Nature meld do two different things. One increases agility and the other decreases aggro. I keep both on my command bar, though I'll admit I forget to meld :kawaii: I have met a lot of mages who think Nature Meld is useless, but the skill is really dependant on correct timing.
"Each friend represents a world in us, a world not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born."
Rhapsody
N4Life
N4Life

FFXIV Avatar: Gemma Shahrizai
FFXIV Class/Race: THM/Hyur
FFXIV Free Company: Last Order (Test)
FFXIV Linkshell: Nekomimis FTW

March 4th, 2013, 2:48 pm

I don't find nature meld useless, but I do opt for stealth magic over nature meld instead of using both. If it helps the rest of the party, I will take and hold aggro... just how I roll :p I'm a rather aggressive mage overall.
Haggar
Neko Steward
Neko Steward

FFXIV Avatar: Haggar Drinksalott
WKC Avatar: Haggar/Bertha

Return to Game Help