Guide to playing offline

Need help understanding something? Can't find out how to get Rainbow Canon? Ask your game related questions here, and answer the questions that you can. Help each other out.
Guide to playing offline
March 26th, 2013, 8:55 am

This guide is being created because after June 18, the game is only playable offline.

This main post will get edited as we brainstorm the capabilities and how to deal with the limitations. Lets discuss how to build characters and NPCs that can solo more difficult quests, strategies that differ for offline vs online play, and how to do things differently when offline.

I'll start with some must-do shopping before online is lost.

- be a member of a level 10 guild

- buy the following from your guild shop:
255 mana III
255 mana IV
255 heal IV
255 charge III
255 elixir
7 guardian gem lv 8 per GR26 armor you would want to fully enhance (aim high, like 105 or more)
7 chromium gem lv 8 for every GR26 weapon you would want to fully enhance (aim high, like 105 or more)

- if you are a member of a top 10 guild, also buy the following:
255 goddess IV
255 high elixir
charge IV or heal/mana V pots if you use those

Some of the above items will no longer be available, and others are bindable.
Haggar
Neko Steward
Neko Steward

FFXIV Avatar: Haggar Drinksalott
FFXIV Free Company: Nekomimis FTW!
WKC Avatar: Haggar/Bertha

Re: Guide to playing offline
April 1st, 2013, 7:11 am

The following couple pointers only apply to people who want to play offline beyond June 18... if not, then it doesn't matter to consider these.

If you are spread out over more than 2 classes, you should consolidate. A mage should only be a mage, a melee should have bow (and only bow) as a sub-class, and a bow, if they'd like, should have 1 melee sub-class. The reasoning everybody should have a bow is for break farming, to enhance your gear. The reasoning for only having 2 classes is so you maximize your abilities in said classes, and can pick up all the passive abilities from the other skill trees. Trust me, even just having 10 more of a stat will have a notable impact. Given that you're playing solo (lets face it, the AI isn't going to be much help) in all quests, you want all the stats you can get. Something to think about as June 18 approaches...

Something to start thinking about today... if you have multiple vessel armors that are barely enhanced, it's time to think practically as you're likely not going to get the vessels you need to finish those armors at this point. I'm not saying to give up, but to make and work on a plan B. Explore or talk with others about what will be a good alternative to pursue, while you still have time to get the quest help to fully enhance a set of armor.
Haggar
Neko Steward
Neko Steward

April 1st, 2013, 1:28 pm

I'll have more to add to this later, but, I think some of the pots you mention at the top are available in the Adventurer's guild dahlia exchange. Granted they are not cheap, however, some are there.

When questing offline, the amount of Guild rank points and Dahlia generated by an S rank do not receive the +80% boost that you get online, so get them now while the getting is good.

The only GR 26 armors that are going to be available after the game goes offline are the bindable ones, and the ones in the Dahlia Exchange. Everyone should be aware that the GR26 armors in the Dahlia exchange are a royal pain to enhance.
Escape reality, live the fantasy! - Louisoix Leveilleur
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

FFXIV Avatar: Kosmos Meishou
FFXIV Class/Race: Miqo'te Gladiator/Conjurer
FFXIV Linkshell: Nekomimis FTW!
WKC Avatar: KOSMOS

April 1st, 2013, 1:53 pm

KOSMOS wrote:I'll have more to add to this later

please do add more ... and others need to stop being lazy and contribute too. With enough input and discussion I can start throwing together a final guide.
Haggar
Neko Steward
Neko Steward

April 1st, 2013, 3:01 pm

I'd probably have more input here if I gave a damn about the offline play. Open question:

How many of the people on the board here (wish I could get all to respond) intend to continue playing after the servers go down?

There are countless quests that need to be run in a completely different way from how you would run them in a group. Making a guide how to run each one would be an insane amount of work. So I'd say just keep it to the general pointers which are already there:

Stock up on items, enhance armors as much as possible. Run the quests that are flat impossible without a party before it's too late.
Lem
WKC Friend
WKC Friend

WKC Avatar: Lem/Meena

April 1st, 2013, 3:57 pm

How much I personally play after online dies is probably not going to be a significant amount. But my son will, and I know that there are others that will. If FFXIV blows and nothing else comes along, I could see me bringing KOSMOS out of retirement on occasion. But then again, KOS has a huge array of good gear, and will stock up on everything before the end. Shion is not so fortunate though.

I'd say that if a player has been questing online for a long time and is nearing GR26, they should review their inventory of rare geostones. If they have a lot of virgos, and few pisces, then they need to focus on those pisces and hope for Vessels of Truth in the forge between now and the end. When those appear they should get as many as they can. I'd advise simply stocking any VoTs you have or can get for now. After the game goes offline, make a master copy of your save and back it up, then create new copies and use the Vessels of Truth in each to create/enhance whatever weapon you want. If you use them before the end and without preserving a copy of your save with the VoTs (and other vessels) stocked, you won't have the flexibility to 're-use' them on other weapons or gear.
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

April 1st, 2013, 3:59 pm

Bertha wrote: The reasoning for only having 2 classes is so you maximize your abilities in said classes, and can pick up all the passive abilities from the other skill trees. Trust me, even just having 10 more of a stat will have a notable impact. Given that you're playing solo (lets face it, the AI isn't going to be much help) in all quests, you want all the stats you can get. Something to think about as June 18 approaches...

That's also why it can be beneficial - offline - to rebirth your NPCs. You can boost their strength and abilities too by rebirthing them. Of course if you have targetted their skills properly that may not be such an issue...
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

April 1st, 2013, 4:34 pm

Dahlia equipment may be a pain to enhance, but they will be easier to enhance offline than blue armours. Specially if you can break farm items.

I myself plan on zero playtime after the closure of the servers. Without being able to obtain vessels and online this game means nothing to me. For me, it's the people that make this great. I'd rather not have to stress with NPCs who like to use top tier spells on small mobs and staff strike on large mobs, or wrong elements. I'd rather not have to keep switching spells out before a large enemy fight.

It's sad that clara/hope will die with the servers.
Hope
N4Life
N4Life

WKC Avatar: Clara (Previously Hope)

April 1st, 2013, 5:22 pm

Everything that Hope said applies to me too, unfortunately. Like tonight, I would've liked to play more but it wasn't a good time as there were not many people online at all. I just can't see a point to playing offline after the servers go down because, for me at least, online was the only part of the game I enjoyed (except for Squirming Husk farming offline, which grew on me as I began using it to relax, hehe).
It's GREEN!
Come here for your imminent death free hug!
Nikkea
Neko
Neko

FFXIV Avatar: Nikkea Astapenta
FFXIV Free Company: NekomimisFTW!
FFXIV Linkshell: NekomimisFTW!
WKC Avatar: Nikkea

April 1st, 2013, 5:55 pm

I might take Rhapsody out for a spin occasionally. It'd be a shame to just throw away the thousands of hours I've spent on her.

Best way in most situations, for me, is to have a mage set to go all out and a bow set to heal first. Have 5 command sets saved for your mage: one for each element and one with only EG/+FA. My avatar can then fill in whatever is needed: sometimes knighting up, sometimes just supporting NPC's so that I'm not targeted. I really wish the quest would not fail when you die...npc should be allowed to raise you.
"Each friend represents a world in us, a world not born until they arrive, and it is only by this meeting that a new world is born."
Rhapsody
N4Life
N4Life

FFXIV Avatar: Gemma Shahrizai
FFXIV Class/Race: THM/Hyur
FFXIV Free Company: Last Order (Test)
FFXIV Linkshell: Nekomimis FTW

April 2nd, 2013, 7:54 am

I wasn't thinking a play by play for every quest. My thoughts are to get folks something to work on who wish to keep playing the game after it goes offline. Beyond finalizing gear, stuff like my first post, which items to stock up on and how to obtain them when there's no more guild shops, NPC setups and strategies, how your own character setup should change, etc.
Haggar
Neko Steward
Neko Steward

April 2nd, 2013, 4:33 pm

KOSMOS will not die with the servers, her essence will be downloaded, and eventually uploaded into a new virtual construct. Much like the real KOS-MOS, you cannot kill an archetype...you can transfer their core to another form and continue...
KOSMOS
Neko Master
Neko Master

April 2nd, 2013, 6:03 pm

Clara/hope will be regenerated into new lifeforms and games :)
Hope
N4Life
N4Life

WKC Avatar: Clara (Previously Hope)

Return to Game Help